Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relocating the stock cowbell horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:57 PM
mydogfarted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocating the stock cowbell horn

Anyone know if the stock cowbell style horn from my Seventy Two can be mounted down between the downtubes like most other sportsters? Obviously the wires are going to need to be extended, but can I just fab up a bracket and bolt it to the engine mount like the horn on most other sportsters or will there be clearance issues?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unplug the horn plug, remove the horn/cowbell assembly, hold it up to the location where you want it, and see if it fits/clears. It's easy to check before you make any modifications. If it does not look like it's going to fit, plug it back in and look for other horn alternatives. Also, I don't think the cowbell is needed in that location because it won't be seen and it's mostly decorative anyways. You could also paint it black to make it more stealthy.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2015, 04:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by mydogfarted
Anyone know if the stock cowbell style horn from my Seventy Two can be mounted down between the downtubes like most other sportsters? Obviously the wires are going to need to be extended, but can I just fab up a bracket and bolt it to the engine mount like the horn on most other sportsters or will there be clearance issues?
It will fit there....UNTIL you hit a hard bump...Then it will dent the fender.

You can get a round horn, like on other sportsters, and mount it there. I've seen the cowbell horn (without the cowbell cover) mounted behind the rear cylinder.

Here's a LINK to horns and brackets.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 PM
hardwick48
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a springer horn on mine. Only cost about forty bucks.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

You can get a round horn, like on other sportsters, and mount it there. I've seen the cowbell horn (without the cowbell cover) mounted behind the rear cylinder.

I figured I was going to need your bracket. But the extra $8 for the horn and wiring isn't hard to swallow.

Last edited by mydogfarted; 07-16-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: edited to change is to isn't
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my factory HD small round black horn that mounts up front lying around. You can have it for free if you want it.Its got the factory cheap "meep meep" sound.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes It can be done I did it using DK Customs horn relocation bracket because I was too lazy to make my own bracket. You can fit the horn in there but not the cover ( it's a tight fit )

Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Do you happen to know what the Cowbell DB rating is?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Do you happen to know what the Cowbell DB rating is?
The Cowbell horn is 115 dB, when it is IN the cowbell. Not sure what the dB rating of the horn when not mounted in the cowbell.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Here is what I did. The stock horn that came with my 48 was a joke... I had a stock horn from the RGC in the spare parts box and decided to see if I could fit it in the Forty-Eight. Well, without the cow bell it fits between the tubes. A little bending of the mounting flat steel and in it goes. But DO NOT INSTALL IT WITH THE COWBELL COVER or it will dent the front fender the first time you brake...

Used a stick-on base for a tie-wrap and got the wire close to the horn and away from the engine.

It works great and now I can be heard if using the horn... At least is black and blends somewhat with the rest of the bike. Yeah, yeah, I know, bike is dirty. It has been raining a lot here and no sense in washing and detailing when every time I ride it get extremely dirty due to the weather...

The following users liked this post:
deadrubberboy (04-17-2016)

Quick Reply: relocating the stock cowbell horn