Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

local HD service Mgr. LIED to my face!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

That may change tomorrow but I have owned at least one Harley Davidson since 1996 and a dealership has NEVER done any maintenance on any of my bikes. My bikes have never been in a dealerships bay.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 07-20-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
Yeah, I don't talk to the service manager unless I have to. I was having trouble with the fuel light coming on too soon. He said he had never heard of that and would have to check into it. Heck its been happening forever.
I've heard lots of complaints about the fuel light coming on early, staying on or not coming on. I think it's a big problem Harley doesn't want to admit to IMHO

Old 07-20-2015, 10:50 AM
CDN Custom
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Machiavelli - they don't call the stealerships for nothing, talk to other riders in your area, find a good private shop and stick with them.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN Custom
I'm with Machiavelli - they don't call the stealerships for nothing, talk to other riders in your area, find a good private shop and stick with them.

A good Indy is the only way to go.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Dealerships are as good as their managers and the people he or she has gathered around. The dealership I go to is fine. The guy who works in the service dep once took me back and showed me how to do couple of things on his own time. The guy who works at the rentals once test drove my bike that I told him I bought from someone else and assured me everything was fine. The ladies at the outfit department always come forward and say hi and chat. The salesman that I talked to are not pushy and are respectful.

Now that manager was full of crap and someone needs to let him know. When you say you will never go there then mean it and never go back.

Many car dealers have to keep certain standards to have their managers stay at their jobs. I dont know if HD has that type of programs, but they sure need to.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:19 PM
djKail
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
I can only assume they out right lied to me so they could sell me the SEPST and mess with my wire tuck job.
Anyways sorry for the long rant I wont ever take my bike there I'll drive it to the next nearest dealer for any work I can't do myself & I guess I wont be doing that Stage 1 flash I'll just wait until the Cobra is fixed or maybe fix it myself as their warranty dept doesn't seem to helpful yet either!
Hey Rob, I actually watched that 400 mile road trip! Love your youtube channel... your videos on the 72 really helped me decide to make the purchase!

I know you have invested a good chunk of money into the Cobra, I was thinking of going that route as well. Decided to go with the Dynojet PowerVision for my 72. Because it just flashes the ECM and is removed, there is no additional reliability issues such as a wire breaking, or a piggy-back controller going on the fritz.

Very easy to re-flash the bike when you change air cleaner / exhaust (which it seems like you do alot) as well. The autotune feature isn't as good as the cobra (based on my research) but it works good for me. Bike has a proper Air/Fuel ratio, no surging like it was from the factory, and it has a crisp throttle response.

Anyways, hope you get it sorted out! Shame that it is so hard to find a reputable dealer / mechanic these days!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djKail
Hey Rob, I actually watched that 400 mile road trip! Love your youtube channel... your videos on the 72 really helped me decide to make the purchase!

I know you have invested a good chunk of money into the Cobra, I was thinking of going that route as well. Decided to go with the Dynojet PowerVision for my 72. Because it just flashes the ECM and is removed, there is no additional reliability issues such as a wire breaking, or a piggy-back controller going on the fritz.

Very easy to re-flash the bike when you change air cleaner / exhaust (which it seems like you do alot) as well. The autotune feature isn't as good as the cobra (based on my research) but it works good for me. Bike has a proper Air/Fuel ratio, no surging like it was from the factory, and it has a crisp throttle response

Anyways, hope you get it sorted out! Shame that it is so hard to find a reputable dealer / mechanic these days!
First THANK YOU for watching my You Tube videos!

I've decided to forget the stage 1 flash since from what I hear it's only benefit is raising the rpm top limit & resetting the AFR to fed standards, ( ugh!). I'd probably be red lineing it all the time & I don't want to go back to running it lean & hot using fed AFR settings.
I'm going to continue with using the Cobra as I do like to change the bike up every so often. I'll eventually be changing pipes again as soon as I decide what I want ( 2 into 1 for performance or something else for looks/sound?). Cobra is sending me a new unit to replace the one the wire broke off of & P.S. I didn't find any loose connectors on inspecting the wire tuck. In the mean time I'm riding with the stock mufflers on it.

Last edited by Rob Robb; 07-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Robb

Yes I've got the You Tube channel under my name, ( Robert Robb). I've been a member since 2013. I usually don't post much here as I don't know many answers to the questions about newer Sportys. Thanks for the welcome
Yep. Funny vids. I watched a lot of them last year. Clutch Cable etc...