Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a couple of XL's shortly

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a couple of XL's shortly

This would be my third Sportster, if I get another one. Had a 1984 XLX1000 bought new, and, much later, a 2006 XL883. I lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for 58 years, then we moved to the big island of Hawaii near Hilo. In a couple weeks, we are driving to Kona for a few days, and will pick up my son from that airport for a visit. I want to go to the HD dealer in Kona and look at a few used bikes there, while we are in that trown.

Here's the bikes:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcd/5134500665.html

and:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcd/5095767515.html

The 1991 has only about 6000 miles. The 2002 about 20,000. The '02 also has a big dent in the tank. Anyone been able to have a dent like this repaired? Or, if I did get this bike and got a new tank, anyone priced getting a single color paint job on a tank lately?

Both are priced at $3995, and both are too high. KBB on the '91 is around $3150. I would have to test ride them. The 1991 is a 5 speed with chain final drive. Anyone know any reason to pass by the 1991 (other than price)?

I don't mind a Sportster with rigid motor mounts. My XLX didn't bother me. Also, we have no freeways here. The main highways are posted 45-55 mph.

Any comments or insight into these two model years?

Last edited by birdmove; 07-25-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Tough call really, the 91 is nice and has low miles, the 02 is 11 years newer with three times the miles.
I'd say you have to go look at them and get the best "out the door" price on both and then ride both and let your gut decide.
There is no easy way with the tank dent on the '02, has to be air pressure poped out, bondo'd & painted or replaced with a new or used tank.
Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with HOTLAP. Tough call.

On the surface, it looks like the '91 model has been better cared for. Fundamentally there is not much difference in the year models.

The dented one is clearly a 'damaged goods" sale regardless of the true condition. The fact that the tank has a big dent will give you a good shot at talking the price down even if the rest of the bike is perfect. A large percentage of potential buyers simply won't be interested because of the dent.

OTOH, the '91 is just old, regardless of the true condition, so you could probably talk it down to a reasonable price simply based on age and KBB.

A new, aftermarket tank is less than $200, but the paint will cost as much or more. Say $500-600 for a single color, tank + paint (discounting the fact that I know nothing about these kinds of services in Hawaii.)

At the end of the day, if no other options were available and the prices were right, I'd look them over real well, listen to them, ride them both if you can, and make the decision based on condition. You won't see the rust, wear, and maintenance condition in the ad; but you will see it when you get up close.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

Rust here is a never ending problem. From where I live, Kona is about 125 miles away if taking the more scenic southern route. If going over Saddle Road, which goes up between the big volcanoes, it's more like 85-90 miles. It's more like a wasteland up there.

The '91 has mid controls, which I prefer over the forwards on the '02.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Aloha Jon, test ride and feel the engine. I bought a 2011 with 53k miles and it purrs...never had a problem with it. Dealer even offered me a 5 yr warranty on it with that kind of mileage. I also had a dent on the tank. Had it repaired and painted plus had to replace the emblem. If interested I will locate the invoice and let you know what I paid when I get home. Happy shopping.

Last edited by hscic; 07-23-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

hscic, thanks for the reply. Are you on Oahu? In Hilo, the only motorcycle dealer is a branch of Montgomery Motors, and they sell Suzuki. I.m guessing, what, $300 for a simple single color paint job, and I see tanks even on Amazon for $200 and under. I didn't get my first Sportster till I was 30. The second one I sold before we moved to the big island due to shipping costs. That was 4 years ago now.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:52 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by birdmove
hscic, thanks for the reply. Are you on Oahu? In Hilo, the only motorcycle dealer is a branch of Montgomery Motors, and they sell Suzuki. I.m guessing, what, $300 for a simple single color paint job, and I see tanks even on Amazon for $200 and under. I didn't get my first Sportster till I was 30. The second one I sold before we moved to the big island due to shipping costs. That was 4 years ago now.
Yes from Oahu.

I paid about $675 to repair dent, painting, pinstriping, emblem, and clear coat. The paint is not a single color. It has base coat, top coat, and clear coat. I used a custom graphics painter. I would think it would cost way less if it is a single color...probably about $300 to repair dent and paint if you know how to take off and put back your tank and depending on size of the dent.
Here is a pick of my dent when I bought the bike.

Oh and it cost me $450 to color-match paint, pinstripe, and clearcoat both saddlebags.

Last edited by hscic; 07-24-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I lived on Oahu (17 years...Navy). Couldn't you get over to the island and look
at what NIMITZ HD (or SOUTH SEAS HD)...if they still exist? and see if you can
find a Sporty there (or OAHU craigslist) and have it barged over? Might be more
choices?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I'd get the 1991. Way less (like none) electronic bullshit, especially in Hawaii where it does tend to rain on occasion. I have a 1991 I bought brand new, and have never had one bit of trouble in almost 25 years. Just took her out yesterday, purrs like a kitten.

John

Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

Thanks, guys! To subguy above, I'll check the HD dealer in Honolulu on line just to see what they have. I could probably have a bike barged over. I"m guessing that would run $300-$400 for the barge trip. But, then i would have to fly there and back, taxi, etc.

And, to John Harper, thanks. I had already seen here, while reading through this forum, that you had a 1991. I was hoping you'd see this thread and comment. Sounds like you get yourself a lifetime Sportster! Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like '91 was a good year. In truth, I don't even know if this 1991 is an 883 or a 1200. Interestingly, that doesn't really matter to me. I rode that '06 883 for a few years, and in no way was it lacking in power for anything I needed to do.

I should say that, that old 1984 XLX iron head got tremendous gas mileage for a 1000cc bike. Mine averaged about 65 mpg day in and day out. The '06 got around 48-50 in general in town riding, but, on a long trip on back roads and highways, it would get well into the 60's.

As I said, I am an old geezer that would like another Sportster. I prefer the pre-2004 models for many reasons. The very noticeable lighter weight is a big bonus. Since less weight is as good as more horsepower, and should give better handling, that is a good feature. The trap door transmission, I think, is a good feature. Being able to remove the gear cluster without having to split the cases....how can that be a bad thing? But, from my experiences, the XL's transmission is solid as a rock. And, to think they basically used the XL trans in the 500cc Blast! I"m glad the 1991 has a 5 speed. The 4 speed in my XLX1000, though not a bid deal, had a pretty big jump between 3rd and 4th.

Maybe the best thing about Sportsters is the aftermarket available. Is there anything one can't get for these? Between Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, and many others, I think anything is out there.

Quick Reply: looking at a couple of XL's shortly