Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Goofed....Help! 2004 HD Sportster 1200R

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
PierreG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Goofed....Help! 2004 HD Sportster 1200R

I was changing fluids and when I got to draining the oil from the transmission, I unscrewed the primary chain adjustment bolt instead of the drain plug. Dumb, I know, but what's done is done.

Now the bolt can be turned in both direction with an allen wrench but doesn't move up or down into the cover. The chain is loose at the top travel and actually contacts the cover. I started it very briefly and it's clacking away.

I will likely need to have the bike trailered to my Harley dealer. What I would like to know is has anyone had a similar experience, particularly where the bolt adjustment bolt doesn't move in and out.

Thank you.

Pierre

Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreG
I was changing fluids and when I got to draining the oil from the transmission, I unscrewed the primary chain adjustment bolt instead of the drain plug. Dumb, I know, but what's done is done.

Now the bolt can be turned in both direction with an allen wrench but doesn't move up or down into the cover. The chain is loose at the top travel and actually contacts the cover. I started it very briefly and it's clacking away.

I will likely need to have the bike trailered to my Harley dealer. What I would like to know is has anyone had a similar experience, particularly where the bolt adjustment bolt doesn't move in and out.

Thank you.

Pierre
Relax.

Google the sportster maintenance pdf for your and follow the directions to adjust the chain. It is on the members /owners portion of the hd site as well. No big deal.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/cont...rs-manual.html

Dont freak out. Funny hard lesson, nothing more. If you are nervous about touching your bike. Go aahead a pay some guy to do it... but, i recommend you learn over indemnification. You are the guy who will be riding this thing in th middle of nowhere.

I say do it then have you work double checked this go round.

Consider getting a service manual.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
PierreG
Novice

Hello cvaria, thank you for responding.

I'm not freaking out, but would like to know why the adjustment bolt won't move in or out of the tranny cover when screwed/unscrewed in either direction. I have viewed Delroy's Garage video, unfortunately, until I get the adjustment bolt to move, I can't do much else.

P

Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreG
Hello cvaria, thank you for responding.

I'm not freaking out, but would like to know why the adjustment bolt won't move in or out of the tranny cover when screwed/unscrewed in either direction. I have viewed Delroy's Garage video, unfortunately, until I get the adjustment bolt to move, I can't do much else.

P
Is it possible that you stripped out the hole when you unscrewed the adjuster thinking it was the drain bolt? I think the adjuster screw threads through the primary case, and the primary case metal is not that strong.

John

Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM
PierreG
Novice

Originally Posted by John Harper
Is it possible that you stripped out the hole when you unscrewed the adjuster thinking it was the drain bolt? I think the adjuster screw threads through the primary case, and the primary case metal is not that strong.

John
I'm thinking that also John. I wonder what could be done to save the primary case. Oversize bolt?

P

Last edited by PierreG; 07-27-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Probably have to remove it and use a heli-coil.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:14 PM
PierreG
Novice
Smile

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Probably have to remove it and use a heli-coil.
Thank you for that Hotlap, an interesting procedure. I'll go to my Harley dealer and make sure that this is an option, if re-threading is required. They seem to favor replacement with new parts and in the case of a drive train cover, that would be very expensive. Will the gasket be reusable do you think? Has anyone installed an automatic chain tensioner and if so are you happy with it?

Thanks,

P

Hotlap- I love your Sporty pics, nice handlebars and pipes.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There's absolutely no reason why you should not service your bike, but once you have sorted this out do buy yourself the factory service manual! Then you will forever have all the info you need before starting future jobs.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:12 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Did you loosen the locknut when you tried to readjust? Or are you turning the locknut and not the adjustment screw?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/app-...ER/file-7.html

Last edited by stereoguy; 07-29-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 AM
PierreG
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
There's absolutely no reason why you should not service your bike, but once you have sorted this out do buy yourself the factory service manual! Then you will forever have all the info you need before starting future jobs.
Good morning Graham,

Thanks for responding and encouragement. Normally, I don't have a problem with the routine maintenance. I had a brain fart, I guess, my other bike is a CCW Tha Heist which has a 27 mm (~1" hex head) for a drain plug. Duh!

Over the years, I've tackled only the basic maintenance, including fluids, basic wiring and battery changes, maybe I should spread my wings a bit.

Quick Reply: I Goofed....Help! 2004 HD Sportster 1200R