Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Iron 883; The story so far - 3 simple mods.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up My Iron 883; The story so far - 3 simple mods.

Before I start, I'll state that this is just my opinion on the Iron and what I think it needed. YMMV and probably does!

I bought the bike earlier in the year. On the ride home i noticed pretty much straight away that the front brake didn't have the right to call itself a brake. More of an attempted slowing device. Seriously, the worse front brake i can remember using on a bike. Just completely lacked any bite at all and I found it quite frightening!

As the dealer had smothered my bike in that silicon spray stuff i was convinced it was that contaminating the brakes. So I used brake cleaner and a fine wire wool on the disc and pads, but to no avail. Ordered up some semi sintered pads but that didn't improve things much either.

So I bit the bullet and ordered up an XR1200 front caliper. Fit was soooo tight to the wheel I wasn't happy with it, so I actually sanded off some material to on increase the clearance. Road test time. Wow! Not only was it a massive improvement, it also turned out to be pretty much my ideal brake. Nice bite without being snatchy and a linear, progressive lever action. I simply could not be happier with it.

Second thing I noticed on my ride home from the dealer was the cheap suspension. If I approached a drain cover i'd get an initial shock through the bars, closely followed by a pile driver up my spine. Not good at all.

The route I took here for the front end was intiminators, with stock springs and amsoil 5wt shock therapy oil. I now find the bike absorbs bumps rather than pogo over them. In corners with bumps I'd find the stock set up would sort of bounce the bike wide. It now holds its track much better. I'm not a 100% happy with this set up and believe/hope I can improve on it by adding more air gap as it does still lack compression damping? Maybe different springs are needed? But I don't want to be too harsh on the intiminators as they are still a hell of a lot better than stock.

For the rear end I added RK air shocks. These arrived from the states for well under £100 including customs charges. They had brass plugs where the valves would go and undoing them showed whatever oil is in there is like new, so I left as is and just fitted them for now. So my thoughts? Well wow, just wow!! These are a massive improvement. I wish the front end was as a good as an improvement. The RK shocks have much better compression damping and I dont feel bumps anywhere near as much as I do on the front end. I guess I'll service them at some point but am so happy with them as they are, it wont be any time soon.

So after my initial ride home I knew i had to address the way the bike bounced and braked and I believe the above mods have done that. Yes the front end could be better but it is a marked improvement as it is.

What next? Well I think forwards will suit me better than mids and i'm trying to work out how to cobble forwards from a 2014 on to it at present. I guess i'd also go for a different seat at some point, but I seem to have adjusted to the oem one quite well. Love those RSD ones though. But for the moment i'm pretty stoked with how the bike is.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to completely agree with the three main Iron issues. Mine's a '15 model and I had exactly the same perceptions.

My 2013 Dyna Street Bob had the same three issues.

A couple of notes:

I had Intiminators on my Dyna, but paired them with single rate springs from Traxxion Dynamics, and preload adjusters from Speed Merchant. I found the setup to be very good. The springs themselves are not as forgiving as the dual rate stock springs in the Dyna, but the preload adjusters provided the right amount of tuning to dial it in perfectly. FWIW, there are a couple aftermarket dual rate springs that get good reviews too (Works performance I think, also RaceTech.) The single rates are better for aggressive riding; the dual rates would serve better for cruising or normal commuting. Given your UK based commuting, I know where you fit on that scale

Also, I realize you are dealing with your stock seat, but I thought I should share my experience with the RSD Avenger seat (same basic seat as the Boss, but different pattern.) It's made by Mustang for RSD and is an excellent seat. Very comfortable and well made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had that style of bike.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts
Default My Iron 883; The story so far - 3 simple mods.

Throw on a braided brake line up front. Brake is more responsive, much better than the rubber lines.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/

Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

what is intiminators picture please
i don´t my front brake is bade it´s just the front fork that´s too soft
after much reading i droppede the HD prograssive springs and sreaming eagle 10w oil my dealer talked about, this winter ill have them install these plus the 10w oil
later ill buy a superbrace
if you tax on us things are that low please buy some RK shock for me, and then ship then afterwards too denmark(or come over for a holliday)

regards
RIX

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain

ps. there is a 15" inch disc they sell here in denmark with a new bracket for oe kaliber 3500dkr that´s a little over 320 pounds with fitting and with out discount i may buy that kit , think ill need it when i get the 1200ccm set.

regards
RIX

Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Went for a ride on mine for the first time today and even though I am new to riding, I can tell already after hitting a few bumps I am going to need an upgrade on the shocks if I plan on going anywhere in my pothole filled state.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
what is intiminators picture please
i don´t my front brake is bade it´s just the front fork that´s too soft
after much reading i droppede the HD prograssive springs and sreaming eagle 10w oil my dealer talked about, this winter ill have them install these plus the 10w oil
Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit - YouTube
later ill buy a superbrace
if you tax on us things are that low please buy some RK shock for me, and then ship then afterwards too denmark(or come over for a holliday)

regards
RIX
Hi RIx

Intiminators are drop in valves. More info here http://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p/039-20-1001.htm

I'll get a brace of some description but later on. No more spending until after my holiday! ;D

I had to buy my shocks from the USA and import them into England. Yes I had to pay customs duty and tax.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
ps. there is a 15" inch disc they sell here in denmark with a new bracket for oe kaliber 3500dkr that´s a little over 320 pounds with fitting and with out discount i may buy that kit , think ill need it when i get the 1200ccm set.

regards
RIX

My XR1200 caliper is perfect for me.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain

your import tax is very low that´s why it would be nice if they landed in GB before denmark he he

Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Something else I should mention that i'm very pleased with is this cheap stand. Its made working on the bikes suspension so easy. Fits in the frame runners underneath and one handed operation is quite easy once you've got the knack. Lifts either the front or back wheel easily and folds away flat for easy storage. I got mine from ebay for around £30 delivered and its been money very well spent. You can make one and there are plans on how to do so kicking about, but for the sake of £30 I couldn't be bothered.

Quick Reply: My Iron 883; The story so far - 3 simple mods.