Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile Kickstand. Is there such a thing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Low profile Kickstand. Is there such a thing.

First off I know a lot of people call it a jiffy stand but I never learned that where I grew up. Second, I moved my stock exhaust because the early scrape making right hand turns was unbearable. Being an Iron, it seemed to really need the exhaust moved and I was happy. Now the kickstand scrapping is getting annoying because there is one left turn every morning into work that it happens and I kind of lean and just wait for it. I still scrape my right foot peg and I attribute that to being a sportster and am okay with that. My question is, can I get a kickstand anywhere where if I make a tight left turn pedestrians wont think I am about to die. If there is no such thing, nobody will die, I was just curious and figured I would ask the internet since I haven't found much with google.

Also if I just let it get ground down to the point where the peg hits will I be fine? Also, I need my tip toes to back my bike into a parking spot so getting longer suspension is only acceptable to maybe 12".

Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

You must be an aggressive rider. Was the bike lowered? Perhaps you could to raise the bike i.e. replace the shocks and maybe the fork springs. Haven't heard of a low profile kickstand....the stock one sits pretty nicely under the bike. I had to install an extension just to be able to find the kickstand so I could push it down.

Last edited by hscic; 07-30-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
sawka
Tourer

I am still on the stock 11 inch springs. So it is pretty low but as i mentioned before, being 5'6" when im not lying makes it a bit hard to get longer springs. I will probably just take a grinder to the stand one of these days. I was jist curious if anybody knew anything about kickstand drag. And i should mention the spring is still tight.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Taller shocks, narrower and lower/lowest seat? Probably gonna have to "raise the bridge" rather than "lower the river" in this case. I'm 5'8" and have a 1991 with stock 13.25" shocks and stock seat. I can just about flat foot it at a stop, somewhat.

Not sure your bike will take that long of a shock, I think the belt may have an issue. Check out the Biltwell or LePera Cobra seats, low, not sure how comfort is.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 07-30-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 PM
sawka
Tourer

I currently have a Bitlwell Seat on it and it does help being more narrow and thin (although it sometimes hurts on long rides) and at stop lights I can easily get another inch higher before I cant get flat. Its the backing the bike up and pushing it. I have to back into my parking spot at work daily so I need to make sure the height allows for that. The short life is not an easy one.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Rockin Sunday
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem dragging my kick/jiffy stand. I'm on a 2017 Roadglide special, I'm 6'2 and only 180lbs and drag the hell out of my stand in left turns. I'm still researching the issue and possible solutions. Have you or anyone heard if one of the lowered jiffy stands might work? They are about an inch shorter but I don't know if it's just the length that causes the problem or how they tuck in on the bike. I haven't lowered the bike, and I don't think I weight enough to really lower it to the point where it would cause issues. If you hear of anything let us know, but right now the only thing I'm seeing is possibly doing the shorter stand. Thanks

Old 12-04-2019, 12:39 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

sawka

I have been 5'7" since high school. Just recently at a Dr visit they said 5'5" . I guess old age (66) and a little poor posture. I am guessing I am a true 5'6" now. Point is, my 2007 XL1200L did the same. I went from 11 7/8" shocks to 13" RK air shocks. I also added taller damper tubes to keep proper profile. I can still flat foot, with my riding boots on, using my Sundowner seat.

Raising the bike, I have scraped the jiffy once, and I was REALLY leaning the bike. It was at an intersection where the road I turned onto is a banked sweeping turn and turning left puts the uphill side of the bank on the jiffy side. I live 5 miles out on a very twisty road and have yet to scrape on that road. Plus it no longer drags going over speed bumps, like it used to.