Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide band vs narrow band O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Rob, comparing wide and narrow band sensors is a distraction! You would be much better employed investigating available tuning devices, to better understand them and how you can benefit from selecting a suitable one. Visit the Tech Ignition etc section, where you can read more.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Last edited by cHarley; 08-05-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
The PowrPro doesn't tune to a specific AFR. It works by measuring the acceleration rate and changing the air/fuel ratio to give the best acceleration.

Furthermore, the factory ECM has no knowledge or understanding of wide band sensors. It only understands the stock narrow band sensors. So it's not like you can just go swap out your narrow bands for wide bands. That doesn't work.

There are, however, a couple of products on the market that are designed to essentially teach the ECM how to interpret and utilize wide band sensors. Rev Perf offers one, and the other is a brand new product (starts shipping this week) from Dynojet called "Target Tune" that works with the Powervision to implement closed loop wideband operation.

Dynojet has also been offering, for quite some time, a wide-band add-on kit for the Powervision. But they're only used when autotuning, they are not part of closed loop fuel control, and the factory ECM has no knowledge of them. Still, it's a great system, works very well.

If you want to know the big drawback to the T-Max, google up "Speed-Density vs. Alpha-N".

Personally, I view the Powervision as the best tuner device on market right now. It has a lot of features, not the least of which is how it greatly simplifies everything to have the little control/display unit to monitor everything going on and perform tuning. Thats huge for do-it-yourselfers especially.
Thanks for this information. That's what I was wondering about if swapping O2 sensors would make any difference but I guess not with the stock ECM based on everyones statements.
I'll go google that site about the TMAX.
Googled that. I didn't find anything about the T-Max but a lot about cars.
I originally went with the Cobra because of the ease of install, auto tune & price ( over the T-max )
I didn't want a system, I had to fiddle with or get constant updated maps with every change because the guys I know that have those are constantly making adjustments by the seat of their pants performance or updating to maps

Last edited by Rob Robb; 08-05-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
Yeah, I didn't mean it as a reference for the T-max. My point is that the Delphi is a Speed-Density system (well mostly, it's actually a bit of a hybrid) and the T-max is an Alpha-N system. There's a fundamental difference between how those two types of fuel injection work. I think that if you read up on it, you'll find that Speed-Density is the better approach for an HD street motor application.

The Delphi EFI is really a very well designed system. Those Delphi engineers did a good job. Tuning it, as opposed to replacing it, makes a lot of sense.
I'd agree if you could actually tune the HD ECM using their maps/flash but I hear the techs have to set it at the Fed emission standards which makes the bikes run lean & hot & that's why so many of us are using after market tuners that enrichen the AFR. I guess if you're a Harley tech with access to the computer you might be able to change that using the SEPST IDK? The T max sounds like it'd be a lot easier to use since you don't have to go thru Harley to make changes
I think auto tune will become the norm as I see most companies offering it as a add on or included in their system
Thanks

Last edited by Rob Robb; 08-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.