Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide band vs narrow band O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wide band vs narrow band O2 sensors?

I've searched the forums for an answer but only get threads about the thunder max using wide band O2 sensors & the troubles of installing it with V&H short shots & numerous arguments about my fuel mgt. system is better than yours.

What I want to know is there any improvements or reason to switch to wide band from narrow band sensor & what would they be? If so what part # wide band sensor fits the Sportster 72. Would the ECM have to be remapped for this switch?

I have a Cobra FI 2000 R Power Pro CVT unit on the bike for 20 mths & all is well except 1 wire broke off the fuel injector plug. After dealing with the smart *** customer service I was hooked up with a warranty guy who immediately sent me a new wire harness. I pluged it in re-enstall the unit & all is well again.

I'm just curious if a wide band O2 sensor would be any improvement or not & if so what Part # it'd be & if they stock ECM would have to be re-mapped?

Has anyone done this besides all of you using the Thunder Max unit?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Narrow band O2 sensors are set at about 14.7 as ideal. They only can tell you if you are above that or below that, basically. So anything below 14.6 is the same, and anything above 14.8 looks the same to the sensor.

Wide band sensors can give you a reading from 10-20 AFR, which allows you to see what is going on better when you can differentiate between 13.7 and 12.3 AFR.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 08-04-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Narrow band O2 sensors are set at about 14.7 as ideal. They only can tell you if you are above that or below that, basically. So anything below 14.6 is the same, and anythign above 14.8 looks the same to the sensor.

Wide band sensors can give you a reading from 10-20 AFR, which allows you to see what is going on better when you can differentiate between 13.7 and 12.3 AFR.
so would that mean the Cobra would read a wide band O2 sensor better being able to do a more precise adjustment during the auto tune while riding or would it make no difference since it's trying to auto tune to whatever it does which I'm guessing is around the 14.7?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Wide band sensors are not electrically compatible with narrow band sensors. Meaning if you use any piggyback device - sensors are still connected to the stock ECM - they won't work.
Only a standalone device as ThunderMax which is designed to work with wide band sensors can benefit from them.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Unless you're making radical changes to your engine I can't see there will be much benefit from changing sensors. Even the 1250 kit makers use stock sensors.

The following users liked this post:
Casper Johnson (05-20-2021)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Wide band sensors are not electrically compatible with narrow band sensors. Meaning if you use any piggyback device - sensors are still connected to the stock ECM - they won't work.
Only a standalone device as ThunderMax which is designed to work with wide band sensors can benefit from them.
Thanks for this info. I'd looked at buying the Thunder Max but the price & the fact it replaced the stock ECM scared me off. I probably should've spent the money and got it but I'm happy with the Cobra. Just always looking for more performance on a limited budget

Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Unless you're making radical changes to your engine I can't see there will be much benefit from changing sensors. Even the 1250 kit makers use stock sensors.
Thanks for this info. I'm not making radical engine changes, ( nothing internal ) just trying to get as much performance as possible on a limited budget.
I was just curious & don't know a lot about O2 sensors thought maybe changing them would be a simple performance improvement.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
Thanks for this info. I'd looked at buying the Thunder Max but the price & the fact it replaced the stock ECM scared me off. I probably should've spent the money and got it but I'm happy with the Cobra. Just always looking for more performance on a limited budget
The fact it replaces stock ECM should not scare you. My TMax has 20k on it and never missed a beat. However, if you like long trips you can tuck your stock ECM into your luggage. It will work and bring you back home, with O2 sensors disconnected you will get a check engine light but otherwise it will work.

ThunderMax as a complete solution is hard to beat. It will get your AFR right everywhere, always. Altitude changes, humidity, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, everything is taken into account. Regardless of conditions you will get max economy (better than stock) if you go easy and max power when you open it up. If you compare cheaper solutions with ThunderMax you will find it has the best bang for a buck.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
The fact it replaces stock ECM should not scare you. My TMax has 20k on it and never missed a beat. However, if you like long trips you can tuck your stock ECM into your luggage. It will work and bring you back home, with O2 sensors disconnected you will get a check engine light but otherwise it will work.

ThunderMax as a complete solution is hard to beat. It will get your AFR right everywhere, always. Altitude changes, humidity, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, everything is taken into account. Regardless of conditions you will get max economy (better than stock) if you go easy and max power when you open it up. If you compare cheaper solutions with ThunderMax you will find it has the best bang for a buck.
Thanks if I hadn't already got the Cobra and wasn't on a limited income I'd go for it.
Next bike I'll go the extra expense & get the Thunder Max. I got to convince my wife I need another bike LOL

Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Lots of wishful thinking and very little truth.
If you want to tinker with your fueling all the time, hey, choice is yours.
I personally prefer to enjoy the ride and let TMax take care of fueling, and it is always perfect. You will never get close to it with your manual tuning.
The only thing I had to adjust manually was slight correction to the ignition curve, it wasn't perfect for hot climate.

Why forums like this always tempt uneducated smartasses to post? Last time when someone tried to prove scientifically there is no need to use clutch with Sportster because the gearbox is "constant mesh" I simply took a long break from these forums. I have very low tolerance for stupidity. Time for another break, methinks.

Quick Reply: Wide band vs narrow band O2 sensors?