Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 2 into 1 exhaust for Sportster 72?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:21 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Duende01
Really like that set-up and your bike looks awesome. One question, do you have a link or the brand of your side bag? Also, does it require a special bracket?
Click on my sig... it has all the details... but just in case you hate to click on links, lol. Those are LaRosaDesign. No brackets required. But they now have models that have brackets... check them out.

http://larosadesign.us/

Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
Hi Kevin,
I'd not given much thought to having a set built mainly because i don't know anyone locally that does good work & I figured that would be really costly?. I've seen some local built setups and they weren't up to my standards. I don't know how to weld or I'd give it a try myself.
Sik Pipes says on their site they'll build what you want & I may contact them as I like parts of 2 of their setups. Maybe i could get them to combine the ideas of both into one set? But they also seem to build for older bikes without FI so no O2 sensor bungs but they could add those easily. I'd need to make it clear what I want built. Not easily done via internet?
I also like the Arlen Ness pipes but not the $700= price tag. Plus my wife saw my notes on pipes and balked at that price
The Patriot Defenders are OK, close to what I want, especially at $350= for a set on Ebay but not exactly what I want.
I'm currently running the HD SE slipons with baffles removed & your TTI's in. The bike runs & sounds fantastic. I'm just tired of the stock look of the pipes.
I may end up having to forget this as my wife sees nothing wrong with what I currently have. You know the old saying happy wife happy life well if she's unhappy so will I be
Thanks everyone for your input
P.S. I've also got the 636V HiFlo Outlaw from you on my 72 and love it!
Most every town has a welding shop with a good welder in it. The one thing about building your own, the welds are not going to be good enough that you will want to chrome it. It will need to be painted with high heat paint, and/or wrapped.

If that is ok with you, then it is just a matter of sketching out what you want, taking the bike with the builders kit to them and having them weld it up. You shouldn't be looking at more than $150-$200 tops for someone to do all the cutting and welding per your sketch....quite possibly less.

If you are wanting the 2-1 pipe for a performance increase. There is not going to be a large amount of power increase over what you're running right now...there will be some, but not as much as when you went from stock to where you are right now. But if it is for looks, that is a different matter.

You might be able to freshen up the looks on your existing set-up and save a bunch of $. Cut the ends off, like in the vid below (which will give you a bigger sound, a different look, and a tad more power), and/or drill some holes in your heat shields and get them powdercoated black, or a color to match your bike.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I love teh look of the D&D Bobcat but guess you can run mids with that?

Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

scraping pipes is just a way of life. i scrap my sikpipes. check out Kenetic exhaust they have a really cool 2 into 1 and the 540 lateral are cool as well. tight shotgun exhaust might be a option for you, you wont scrap them. however since have gone to a 12 inch rear shock, i have more clearence

Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts
Old 10-01-2016, 08:48 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,826 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
I've read several threads regarding this and they all end up in arguments over dyno sheets as to weather 2 into 1 or better than 2 into 2 or mine's better than yours by people who've not done it on their Sportster. Some threads have had good info but no pics of bike.
What I'd like to know is from people who've actually made the install on the Sportster. What problems did they have installing? Did they make an improvement & if so how much? Was it worth the money?
Could you post a pic of your bike so I can see what yours looks like?
seeing pics of lots of makes on a site selling pipes isn't as good as real world actual install & use info & pics.
Thank you!
I haven't used on Sportster, but I did on my bagger and loved the Supertrapp, it sounded good, looked good and made the most power on dyno of all other systems I tried.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:53 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I am running the Cobra pipe. Good sound, ground clearance and performance.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a V&H 2-1 Competition Series and wish I had Patriot Defender

http://www.1250kits.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml#vhcompseries

Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
I am running the Cobra pipe. Good sound, ground clearance and performance.

Very nice. I was thinking of Thunderheaders or Bassani Road Rage, but Cobra's are much better aesthetically. How is it with the tail pipe covering the axle....do you have to remove the exhaust to remove the rear axle? Also if you don't mine would like to see inside the pipe from the rear. Is it loud?...cause I love loud. Thanks

Last edited by hscic; 10-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Very nice. I was thinking of Thunderheaders or Bassani Road Rage, but Cobra's are much better aesthetically. How is it with the tail pipe covering the axle....do you have to remove the exhaust to remove the rear axle? Thanks
The muffler body separates from the head pipe. Here is a better shot.
This disclaimer is the only reason I won't buy them.Damn shame because Cobra makes a great product.
"Does not work with passenger foot pegs."

Last edited by Guzzi; 10-01-2016 at 09:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guzzi:
hscic (10-02-2016), JayTee2015 (10-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Best 2 into 1 exhaust for Sportster 72?