Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock-It Shift - Thoughts & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Hey 'Kev!

First, that's a sweet looking '48 you got there!

'Not a fan of the heal shifter but it looks good, with the exception of all the threaded holes, which I understand are to make it adjustable & nice and comfy for the user, but with the characteristics of aluminum being that which they are, those extra threaded holes, unless blocked off with some kinda' rubber or plastic thing-a-muh-jig, would quickly become a haven for moisture and debris, and before you knew it, corrosion would take hold and extend outwards to continue working on the rest of the finish, making it look el crappo grande!

Maybe instead of threaded holes into the main structure of bare aluminum he could go with straight through holes dimensioned to allow standard size hardware through a powder coated main structure to eliminate any of the possible aforementioned issues? The part would look real nice in gloss black powdercoat to match the bikes factory frame, with lets say some polished stainless steel hardware to add a nice touch...

Just spit ballin' here ;^)

'Hope you're well.

=8^)
Hey Drew!

Thanks on the 48!

I believe he is going to be putting a clear anodized coating on them to protect the aluminum.

Yeah, I like black too...if he doesn't do them, easy enough to rattle can or powder.

Originally Posted by Yogie
I'd like to try something like that on my bike. I've noticed when wearing my paratrooper boots ( 8 1/2 ) that I need to have my heel up on the peg when shifting but while wearing regular shoes I'm okay... I can see a place for this on the market ;o)
Very nice pictures of your bike Kevin.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by bigmant
Id be interested as well for sure. Sounds cool.

Are you going to be helping him sell it, Kevin? Or is it just going to be available through him?

I don't know if we'll be a dealer for them. I think we would like to, and told him so yesterday. We'll see if it works out.

Originally Posted by sroc3
Hmmmmmm.........I'm trying to see how it might look with Brass pegs on it (hint-hint)
Yea, or in black with brass.

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
I'm kinda intrigued by this. I'm sitting in the office rocking my foot back and forwards to try and imagine how it would feel as it looks pretty odd to me! I cant imagine changing gear like that? Mind you even if it works well, as I suspect it does, I don't think it would be for me as it makes it look a bit cluttered? Maybe in black...
I know what you mean...but, for me, it was amazing the difference it was in the riding experience. I'm sure it won't be that way for everyone that tries it.

Originally Posted by Andy Arocho
i agree with drewbone, the threaded holes would probably need covered. it would defiantly be interesting to try it out.

any idea on the price point when they start production?

I don't believe he has settled on a price point...but it is not going to be cheap.

Originally Posted by GMRO
Personally I like it. Would be a nice upgrade for my 2013 1200C with OEM forward controls. I've the heel/toe on my UC2006 and love it.

And yea, I shopped a while for boots that I use with my 1200C that have the extra toe protector sown on the top of the boots where it contacts the toe lever so my boots don't get wrecked. Don't mind age on my boots but toe shifters ruin boots and that ain't no joke.

In the $189.00 to $200.00 range I'd be in. Bet if feels natural and works super!

When will this item go into production?

AND nice bike Kevin! Great pics too...

Thanks!

Thank you!

The feel I got from him is that the first production run is going to be soon...weeks, not months.

Originally Posted by sroc3
I like the steel aluminum/machined/mechanical look......very unique and looks very nice. I agree w/ GMRO - at the $185 to $200 range I'd be in and try it out for sure.

It would actually be nice if he made a matching brake pedal/lever for the right side as an option to match.
Now that would be interesting!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-05-2015, 05:12 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bl0at3r
It's actually quite easy to get the hang of - my 2005 Suzuki 'Fake-Harley-Fatboy' Intruder (sic) had one - and floor boards.

I much prefer the traditional shifter with the forwards on my current bike though.

It just occurred to me that I have used one before. C90!!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The Rock-It Shift is now available!

Click HERE to see more info and a bunch of pics.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Looks great Kevin....something that would be a unique touch on the bike and make it comfortable shifting.....now only if they would make one for Sportys with mid-controls!?!?!

btw congrats on getting your products on the dealership floor. We had a rally and was there this weekend. Saw your ignition and coil relocation kits and your tank lift kits hanging in the aftermarket parts section.

Last edited by hscic; 10-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:33 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Kev, 'glad to see these comes to fruition, they look nicely machined :^)

The only things that concern me is the material, being bare (polished) aluminum, and the peg position holes being threaded. The latter exasperating the possibility of galvanic corrosion forming between the threads of the aluminum base material and the steel peg fasteners. An adequate length shoulder "through bolt" along with a brass or bronze bushing would go a long way towards at least limiting any corrosion, and such a fastener would be much easier to remove if need be than a threaded one. Of course that would add to the price, but people DO pay good $$ for good stuff all the time! And lastly (sorry, LOL), the unused threaded peg positioning holes in the main arm are havens for all the road debris and the occassional moisture we encounter.

Maybe include something like those plastic inserts typically used to fill the unused height adjustment holes in wood bookcases to fill the threaded holes to keep out the debris and moisture, maybe even chrome plate the aluminum...?

Yeah I know, 'got too much time on my hands recently I suppose, and I've been known to overthink all kinds of $hit, um...on occasion ;^)

=8^)

Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by hscic
Looks great Kevin....something that would be a unique touch on the bike and make it comfortable shifting.....now only if they would make one for Sportys with mid-controls!?!?!

btw congrats on getting your products on the dealership floor. We had a rally and was there this weekend. Saw your ignition and coil relocation kits and your tank lift kits hanging in the aftermarket parts section.
Yes, it would be nice to have them for mids...that might be something that comes down the pike, but it will be a total, from scratch design, the stock starting point is not even close.

Cool on the dealership. We have a few hundred dealers that buy from us, but it is mostly as the Customer requests a part, very few HD Dealerships stock our parts.

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Kev, 'glad to see these comes to fruition, they look nicely machined :^)

The only things that concern me is the material, being bare (polished) aluminum, and the peg position holes being threaded. The latter exasperating the possibility of galvanic corrosion forming between the threads of the aluminum base material and the steel peg fasteners. An adequate length shoulder "through bolt" along with a brass or bronze bushing would go a long way towards at least limiting any corrosion, and such a fastener would be much easier to remove if need be than a threaded one. Of course that would add to the price, but people DO pay good $$ for good stuff all the time! And lastly (sorry, LOL), the unused threaded peg positioning holes in the main arm are havens for all the road debris and the occassional moisture we encounter.

Maybe include something like those plastic inserts typically used to fill the unused height adjustment holes in wood bookcases to fill the threaded holes to keep out the debris and moisture, maybe even chrome plate the aluminum...?

Yeah I know, 'got too much time on my hands recently I suppose, and I've been known to overthink all kinds of $hit, um...on occasion ;^)

=8^)
Hey Drew! I know, I am a year overdue on a call...time goes way to quick the older I get!

Yes, a few have expressed concern about the unfinished aluminum. I have seen what you speak of on HD aluminum AND steel parts. On the prototypes we have not seen any issues to date.

However, everyone is in a different environment, cleans their bikes with different detergents, etc.

In the instructions the following is included-

CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Your Rock-It Shift will last for many years with proper care. Protect your Rock-It Shift from corrosive elements and harsh environment with a quality polish/sealer for aluminum. Products made for trucks are especially good as they are made specifically for that purpose. You may also elect to clear-coat your Rock-It Shift.

The only thing I've done with my prototype is wipe it down with pledge a couple of times...oh, one time I think I used bug slide after a ride in some serious dusk bug clouds. lol

No stains or corrosion to date. But, I know it is different for everyone.

We did experiment with anodized clear and a few other clears...they all took away from the shine a bit. Chroming would had a huge expense, resulting in a much higher selling price.

Harley uses plastic caps/plugs on some of their unused thread holes. I have picked up chrome caps/plugs at Home Depot and Lowes for 50 cents each.

I think something that would had even more personality, and protect the threads is a threaded shell casing or spike...whatever style struck a persons fancy...they are easily found online.

And there are a thousand other looks. Man, back in the day, we just used clear fingernail polish to keep all the factory steel threads on our bikes from rusting!

Last edited by DK Custom; 10-12-2015 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Justin Lynn (04-30-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

So any update on sales or use for this Rock-It Shift?

Just wondering... Still looks super!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 AM
dotcom2000
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

would it work with heel rests ?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by dotcom2000
would it work with heel rests ?
The Rock-It Shift works great with Heel Rests. That is how I've been running mine for quite a while.

Here's a new video on them-

Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Kevin,

When you ride with this shifter linkage are you resting your whole foot on BOTH shifter pegs? So basically the whole time you ride you are flat footed on the front and rear shifter pegs? Unlike a baggers heel/toe design where the foot sits on the floorboard until you need to shift?

Just wondering what occurs when you go over rough road if your foot dips you could shift since you are on the pegs all the time?

???

I do like the design and idea but for some reason before this new video showing the on road usage...I thought the foot would be outside or LEFT of the shifter pegs and not always riding/resting on them.

THANKS!

Quick Reply: Rock-It Shift - Thoughts & Pics