Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Low Rider and classic "Old/New" Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I'm guessing that she won't be able to pick up a Sportster if she drops it. Curb weight can be mis-leading. A Dyna or Softail has a lower center of gravity, allowing an easier lift off the jiffy stand (kick stand).
I dunno about that; my Superlow is easy to right, but it takes all my strength to lift a Dyna. (I dropped my first Dyna in its parking stall by leaning it over while forgetting that the kickstand was retracted; it was just too heavy to keep from going down.)

Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Topacciolo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing that she won't be able to pick up a Sportster if she drops it. Curb weight can be mis-leading. A Dyna or Softail has a lower center of gravity, allowing an easier lift off the jiffy stand (kick stand). More so, if the Dyna or Softail has been lowered beyond factory spec. My Gal had two Sportsters (2001 & 2004), and now rides a Dyna Switchback. She swears she'll never get another Sportster. (I love my Sportster, but that's a story for a different day.) She's 130 pounds, soaking wet. Five foot, 3 inches (1.6m)) and every bit of a Lady. A Sportster is not a beginner's bike. It's smaller than the Big Twins, but it's taller center of gravity, coupled with its "sport" aspirations (heft, gearing, torque, steering angle, lean angle) take it well past a Honda 600 as a starter bike. If possible, have her compare the effort to raise a Sportster verses a Softail or Dyna. While the bike is on its jiffy stand, have her turn the handlebars to the right, then lift the bike upright. Something about leverage and fulcrums, makes it easier. No matter the curb weight, they weigh almost nothing once they're going down the road. Most importantly, explore options. I think any Harley can be made to sit lower than factory (handling may suffer). The seat height on my '03 Softail is 24 inches, without my fat behind sitting on it. Lower than the factory spec for a laden 883 Super Low.
If she's dead-set on a Sportster, I'd aim for a carbureted 883 Low, 2005-2006. I don't think I'd consider the older, solid-mount frames "more compact". In fact, with forward foot controls, the reach is longer on the solid-mounts. Go with a rubber-mount, if it's got to be a Sportster.
I think she is set on a sportster 883 just because she thinks the weight of a dyna will be to much for her. but she is open to new info and i will pass those on. will be nice for her to give a dyna a try. I agree with you that if the bike is going down 883 or dyna will go down because are both very heavy and a lower center of gravity will make the bike way easier to handle when she have to move it.... so thanks again for the info!! Very very useful!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 AM
Topacciolo
Novice

I'm guessing that she won't be able to pick up a Sportster if she drops it. Curb weight can be mis-leading. A Dyna or Softail has a lower center of gravity, allowing an easier lift off the jiffy stand (kick stand). More so, if the Dyna or Softail has been lowered beyond factory spec. My Gal had two Sportsters (2001 & 2004), and now rides a Dyna Switchback. She swears she'll never get another Sportster. (I love my Sportster, but that's a story for a different day.) She's 130 pounds, soaking wet. Five foot, 3 inches (1.6m)) and every bit of a Lady. A Sportster is not a beginner's bike. It's smaller than the Big Twins, but it's taller center of gravity, coupled with its "sport" aspirations (heft, gearing, torque, steering angle, lean angle) take it well past a Honda 600 as a starter bike. If possible, have her compare the effort to raise a Sportster verses a Softail or Dyna. While the bike is on its jiffy stand, have her turn the handlebars to the right, then lift the bike upright. Something about leverage and fulcrums, makes it easier. No matter the curb weight, they weigh almost nothing once they're going down the road. Most importantly, explore options. I think any Harley can be made to sit lower than factory (handling may suffer). The seat height on my '03 Softail is 24 inches, without my fat behind sitting on it. Lower than the factory spec for a laden 883 Super Low.
If she's dead-set on a Sportster, I'd aim for a carbureted 883 Low, 2005-2006. I don't think I'd consider the older, solid-mount frames "more compact". In fact, with forward foot controls, the reach is longer on the solid-mounts. Go with a rubber-mount, if it's got to be a Sportster.
Sorry, talking about dyna.... are all the dyna rubber mount or should avoid any particular year for the solid-mount engine?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:48 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Dynas have been rubber-mount for decades.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 PM
keod
Cruiser

I have a 2011 Superlow. I am only slightly taller than your friend and after looking a several bikes it was the best fit- haven't regretted it for a moment. The centre of gravity is much lower than earlier Sportys, and it handles much better in slow speed turns due to a increased rake and trail. The bars and controls are designed for very easy reach. All really important features for many women (and men) of shorter stature.

Picking it up is not a problem when shown how to do it properly. On any incline is a little more difficult but very manageable.

I got caught up in the "you should go bigger" recommendations from almost everyone I knew and tried several other bikes. The closest fit for me was the Switchback. It was nice to experience a 6th gear and it was great on the highway but I found that backing it up on any sort of incline was just not possible without help. This was a big deal for me, and something many overlook, as I usually ride solo so it convinced me that it was better to stick with what I had and make some modifications (such as mini floorboards etc) to make it better for long distances.

I may have gone the 1200T model if that had been available when I bought mine but then again insurance would be higher and I really have found the 883 to be powerful enough and have never had an issue keeping up with bigger bikes.

Last edited by keod; 09-02-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Topacciolo
Novice

Dynas have been rubber-mount for decades.
Thanks!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Topacciolo
Novice

Originally Posted by keod
I have a 2011 Superlow. I am only slightly taller than your friend and after looking a several bikes it was the best fit- haven't regretted it for a moment. The centre of gravity is much lower than earlier Sportys, and it handles much better in slow speed turns due to a reduced rake. The bars and controls are designed for very easy reach. All really important features for many women (and men) of shorter stature.

Picking it up is not a problem when shown how to do it properly. On any incline is a little more difficult but very manageable.

I got caught up in the "you should go bigger" recommendations from almost everyone I knew and tried several other bikes. The closest fit for me was the Switchback. It was nice to experience a 6th gear and it was great on the highway but I found that backing it up on any sort of incline was just not possible without help. This was a big deal for me, and something many overlook, as I usually ride solo so it convinced me that it was better to stick with what I had and make some modifications (such as mini floorboards etc) to make it better for long distances.

I may have gone the 1200T model if that had been available when I bought mine but then again insurance would be higher and I really have found the 883 to be powerful enough and have never had an issue keeping up with bigger bikes.