Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid the bike down...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Dan.1977P
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your situational awareness is there, but you ability to process the threat and act accordingly needs a little help. Practice your panic stops. Sounds like you had ample time to just stop and give the guy a WTF look and go on about your day.
Hopefully you learned what distance and speed is right for your ability to stop safely. Anything closer than that, you need to scrub as much speed as you can before attempting to swerve. You can learn all this in the MSF basic rider course and get to practice it even more on your own bike in the advanced course.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You will get many opinions on what you should have done. Glad your okay. 1. Get his info
2. Call Police (When I got hit they didn't want to come out,I had to insist and when they came he had a attitude for having to bother with this.) Hope you had good insurance. 3. Call his insurance company and report. I got hit from behind so this may change some things. Its scary out there. I'm always happy to get home accident free.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not going to blow sunshine up your rear so my advice is: prepare for the worst. You will most likely be eating this one. Count your blessings though because it could have ended MUCH worse.

My advice:
Next time (God forbid) call the cops IMMEDIATELY. It's real easy to forget something so obvious when the adrenalin is flowing and your shaken from a crash but it is important to get the law on your side ASAP.

As far as riding:
It sounds like the guy gave you plenty of warning that he was an idiot. My mantra is "always assume drivers are going to do something idioic and they'll seldom disappoint". This is followed closely by the classic 'assume their all trying to kill you". Next time you see someone like this again (and it WILL happen) slow down, plan an escape in your head, and if you have time turn on the brights, swerve a little, hit the horn or do something to try and draw attention to yourself. Trust me. THEY DON'T SEE YOU (as you've sadly found out).

Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad it wasn't any worse for you or the bike. Around here they hit you and keep on going. I can't imagine someone stopping just because they cause an wreck.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Main thing OP is that you are all right.
See what your insurance company says about him paying for your bike.
For sure report the accident to your insurance. Don't even think about not doing that.
Yes, assume drivers will do something stupid and you will rarely be disappointed.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

You will get a lot of opinions here, including mine...haha. Glad you are okay.

Insurance policies normally have deductibles. Assuming you do not have a police report, if you estimate your damages will be below or close to your deductible, fix it yourself. Some insurance companies allow one incident before affecting your premiums...not sure about your policy. My mom had two accidents and reported both...her premiums doubled. The insurance company allowed one.

Clean your wound thoroughly to avoid infection or see a physician if it is deep and need sutures. My daughters BF got into a bike accident and was banged up. We tried to clean his injuries but that was insufficient (was not healing well) so he went to a doctor and they cleaned and wrapped it.

With respect to riding skills (and not saying yours is deficient), it is always good to practice emergency stops, swerves, etc. Our group has a skills practice every month which is invaluable. Never use your front brake on swerves or slow speed maneuvers or you will likely go down.

My 2 cents...ride safe!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 941 Posts

You should have called the cops as soon as it happened to have them come out and make a report and poss give the guy a ticket for failure to yield , I would also now contact a lawyer so they can deal with his and your ins co.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

glad you are mostly okay. ride like people are trying to kill you..... they are

Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

YOu should have called the police immediately to report the accident. I think I'd also go to a doctor, hospital to get myself checked out and file a medical report with the insurance. they may request one.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you would have a better case if he had hit you.. sad but true.. Like some guys have already said.. you saw it unfolding.. you shouldve stopped and let him be a moron.. I have a first hand experience of a car "causing" me to wreck but not actually hitting me.. two broken ribs.. tons of witnesses.. all in my favor.. ins company concluded he was not at fault.. That was like 15 years ago..

Quick Reply: Laid the bike down...need some help