Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid the bike down...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Shaunchez
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Laid the bike down...need some help

So I've had the bike (08 XL883) for about a month and put around 5k miles on it. It's become the only thing I do in my spare time. Unfortunately, today was just not a good ride.

I was traveling down a four lane road (two my way, two opposite way) going about 35mph-40mph, when a car (who has a stop sign) decided that he was clear to cross 4 lanes to the other side. I have no stop sign and have right-of-way. I see him inching out from the stop to where he is in the middle of the lane to my left. He stops again misleading me to think that he has now seen me as I am about 20 feet away in the far lane. He then proceeds to go, blocking 3/4ths of my lane. I instantly brake while swerving around the front of his car (i thought for sure I was going to t-bone him...luckily he stopped 3/4 of the way) causing the back of my bike to lose traction and fishtail out. The bike tipped to the left throwing me over the handlebars and I slid 10-15 feet. Sprained both wrists and scuffed the knee up some. The ****er pulls over and proceeds to tell me that I should have seen him and stopped. Blaming me! Once I pointed out that he has a stop sign and I have the right-of-way he then shut up real quick.

I grabbed his insurance/license/contact info/license plate just in case (all while the guy is cracking jokes at me...douchebag).

The help I need is:
  • Advice on the next step...is this reportable? Am I able to make him pay for damages? Will insurance take my word for it (no witnesses and I'm sure he'll lie to his insurance)?
  • I will also need some help identifying the components I will need to replace (in attached pictures. The Clutch Lever Bracket, A shifter foot lever (shifter peg bolt sheered off so part of the screw is still inside). The handlebars are bent but I think I can figure out that part. If you know the HD part numbers or place where i could find replacements w/o paying what HD would charge me...it should be some pretty easy fixes.
  • I really want to learn from this so any advice on what I couldve/shoudlve done in this situation to avoid crashing is appreciated. If I made a rookie mistake, I gotta know so the next time my luck runs out...it doesnt run out for good. I'm glad i walked away with a scraped knee and sprained wrists and nothing worse.

Thanks for any help, ride safe!

Attached Thumbnails Laid the bike down...need some help-img_20150819_220152.jpg   Laid the bike down...need some help-img_20150819_220200.jpg   Laid the bike down...need some help-img_20150819_220627.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not sure if it's too late now, but if it isn't, file a police report ASAP.

I didn't see it happen, so I can't say what you could've done better. Never assume someone sees you. If you can, set yourself up in advance so you're ready to escape when they pull a dumbass move.

Important thing is, you're whole. Keep us posted.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 AM
Shaunchez
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks man, I just talked with the police and they said I can file a report tomorrow so I'll be bringing his information and pictures of where the accident took place.

Also, thanks for the advice...that was definitely my mistake thinking that he saw me.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't really have advice for follow up. But in the future, be careful when braking and swerving at the same time, they don't go well together. Typically you want to swerve first, then apply brakes while riding in a relatively straight line. It's the natural reaction so it can be hard to break (pun!) the habit. You could try practicing in a big parking lot at some mega store. Swerve around some object, then ride a straight line while braking fast. Not sure if you have before or not, but riding dirt bikes makes you learn to control skids better, in the event that they do happen on the road. Also, assume you're invisible and that nobody can hear you, because the ones who need to hear you (in front) can't hear you anyways (because your pipes go backwards). I don't ride through any intersections or crossings without checking to make sure nobody is going to run it and smash into me. Assume everyone is trying to kill you. I always watch my mirrors at stoplights too, to make sure nobody is going to rear-end me. And I always position my bike so I can escape somewhere, I never let myself be boxed in, whether at a stop light, or while riding.

Sounds like it's that dudes fault, not yours... but this stuff is still worth mentioning. The fact that he was being so douchey after endangering your life, I say do whatever you can.

If you're worried about the condition of your bike, it's worth it to take it in and have it looked at, just for peace of mind.

You probably didn't want or need any of my wall of text. Sorry for rambling.

The following users liked this post:
Shaunchez (08-18-2016)
Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 AM
Yogie
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 156 Posts

Glad your okay, as said things could have been much worse.
Glad you got the guys information and license number although here in my state the police would have been called out at the time it happened to file a report and talk to both drivers involved. As this stands it'll be pretty much your word against his and with what you've already shared with us about the driver we can all see where this is heading. Without a first hand police report your insurance will probably be the one to pay the bill. His car never touched your bike so my guess is you'll never hear from him again or his insurance...
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Yogie; 08-20-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 AM
Geriden
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that mate, there are some terrible drivers out there.

I dropped my iron once recently which snapped the shifter peg. Good news is they're pretty damn cheap and easy to fix - just use a bolt extractor drill bit to get the snapped part out, and screw in a new peg, easy

The rest im not too sure about!

The best advice ever given to me is to ride as if everybody is trying to kill you.
Good luck mate.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Lab
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok! Keep us updated with this insurance scenario. I'm curious

Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Make the police report asap. You have injuries, follow up with a medical examination. The clock is ticking with the medical examination so follow up with that quickly. Some states have limited time for medical insurance purposes. File a claim with his insurance company, not yours. If you file with yours, it will be a strike against you irregardless whose fault it is. A claim is a claim is the way they see it. Next get an estimate from a reputable source. Follow up with the insurance company. Get the bike repaired by the shop and move on.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you made it out of that with some minor injuries.

I have to ask though and maybe I missed it...Why didn't you call the police at the time of the accident?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kwn36
Glad you made it out of that with some minor injuries.

I have to ask though and maybe I missed it...Why didn't you call the police at the time of the accident?
I was wondering that myself. Always call police and never ever admit fault.

Something else makes me wonder here a little. Couldn't you have missed him with counter steering. I know you didn't hit him, but you did say you were going in a straight line. If you haven't taken an advance rider class or MSF course, maybe you should before you get back on your bike. Bottom line is that you panic, bad thing to do on a bike. Hope everything works out with his insurance, but don't expect it to with no witness. Oh by the way. You high sided. You should have a dealer do a safety check on your bike.

Quick Reply: Laid the bike down...need some help