Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HORNS - Anyone use Air Horns?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default HORNS - Anyone use Air Horns?

I have a high 108 db horn between my down tubes that replaced my stock. I am not satisfied with the tone and volume of the horn as it sounds like beep beep with plugged nose...haha

I am considering using an air horn installed between the cylinders where you normally install coil relo kit. Any one installed and use one. Would be great if you can post pics and show me how it looks as well as provide some info on the intall (i.e. fitment difficulties, etc).

This is the horn I am considering but it is somewhat large and DK indicated they are normally not installed on a sporty. They said it is loud and also used in cars....and might scare/startle people. It's all about safety.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chrome Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn - Dual Tone - LOUD w/ Wiring Kit

http://dkcustomproducts.com/Chrome-B...O-519-COMB.htm

Old 08-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Initially, when I bought my newest Sportster ('05). I considered a loud horn. However, I have since found I rarely use the horn, in fact, almost never. I have increased my ability to be a very defensive rider always planning escape routes, consequently I rarely use my horn - which no one pays attention to anyway when I do use it. I have simply found defensive riding to be the most effective way to survive and enjoy my bikes.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I only ever use my horn to thank people for letting me by. I hardly ever have to use it to warn anyone, I've already been watching them. I don't think I've ever used it to actually prevent anything. By the time I've honked, I'm just doing it to make sure they realize they did something very stupid.

Also if I know someone is going to run the red light that I'm waiting at (happens all the time at a certain one), I'll rev my engine loudly as they turn in front of me.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:53 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for your inputs. I always ride defensively and aware of my surroundings as most of the time you will not have time to use your horn. Yes I hardly use mine too but would like the option. I have loud pipes which helps motorist hear me, but with a loud horn it also gives you another layer of safety....to warn people pulling into your lane, get someone attention on the road, etc. It also looks and sounds a lot better than the round useless horn between the down tubes.

I guess by the level of response, there are very little sporty owners with air horns. Perhaps I will just install one and make my bike more unique...lol. It also puts more chrome on the plain-looking side of the bike....and I love chrome...haha Thanks again.

Last edited by hscic; 08-21-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts

I have a set of air horns on my FLH. You can drive as defensive as you want, but really laying on those horns will get some ones attention. Then you can scream at them for being stupid. Don't be afraid to get their attention.

Your safety first.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Speleo
I have a set of air horns on my FLH. You can drive as defensive as you want, but really laying on those horns will get some ones attention. Then you can scream at them for being stupid. Don't be afraid to get their attention.

Your safety first.
Yup safety first....thanks for the assessment.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks for your inputs. I always ride defensively and aware of my surroundings as most of the time you will not have time to use your horn. Yes I hardly use mine too but would like the option. I have loud pipes which helps motorist hear me, but with a loud horn it also gives you another layer of safety....to warn people pulling into your lane, get someone attention on the road, etc. It also looks and sounds a lot better than the round useless horn between the down tubes.

I guess by the level of response, there are very little sporty owners with air horns. Perhaps I will just install one and make my bike more unique...lol. It also puts more chrome on the plain-looking side of the bike....and I love chrome...haha Thanks again.
In my experience, the people that need to hear you can't anyways. The loud pipes save lives thing is total bs imo. Your pipes face the wrong direction for them to hear you 99% of the time.

Now if you want a REAL horn, I think you should get a rack for the back and install an air compressor, then slap on some horns.

They make kits for cars. Everyone will hear you then

https://www.hornblasters.com/product...-air-horn-kits

Last edited by Dane M; 08-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 PM
LittleRed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my horn. Not sure what kind yet. I do find the horn a very useful tool in making people aware i'm there. I still plan escape routes and all but a beep beep when i'm not sure if they've seen me has helps to grab attention.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:09 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dane M
In my experience, the people that need to hear you can't anyways. The loud pipes save lives thing is total bs imo. Your pipes face the wrong direction for them to hear you 99% of the time.

Now if you want a REAL horn, I think you should get a rack for the back and install an air compressor, then slap on some horns.

They make kits for cars. Everyone will hear you then

https://www.hornblasters.com/product...-air-horn-kits

Scaring Pedestrians With Train Horns - YouTube

That's funny...a bit overkill for my sporty...haha. I tend to disagree about loud pipes. I drive in a car to/from work every day with my windows up and I can hear a Harley coming from a distance behind me before I see it...so I am looking out for the bike. Making sure motorists know you are there is half the battle....and if they don't, use the horn.

Quick Reply: HORNS - Anyone use Air Horns?