Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and already problem with my 13 72 sportster

Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 PM
pamie324
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and already problem with my 13 72 sportster

Anyone have problems with getting the bike to neutral. Just brought this bike home and they just ran it through the shop at Harley. Can not get it to go into neutral to save my life. Any suggestions?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you mean when the engine's off, or idling? If when it's off, you may have to roll the bike back and forth a little bit. If when it's running, you may have a clutch that's dragging (likely would need a simple adjustment), or you just need to get used to the feel of a Harley tranny. I had a hard time finding neutral at first, too. You just gotta get a feel for it.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 PM
pamie324
1st Gear
Default Both

When idling....

Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

When idling tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly. Nope. Then tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly Nope. Then try going up a gear and down to neutral let clutch out slowly Nope. Now tap down a couple times lift up until it clicks Nope. Then tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly Nope.

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
- Mark Twain,

Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 AM
pamie324
1st Gear

Yeah i have done that many many times. Ive tried rolling it back and forth. Nothing works. Have a call into my sales guy. Ive only had the bike days. Ive had a harley before and never had these complications.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
When idling tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly. Nope. Then tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly Nope. Then try going up a gear and down to neutral let clutch out slowly Nope. Now tap down a couple times lift up until it clicks Nope. Then tap down then lift up until it clicks and let clutch out slowly Nope.

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
- Mark Twain,
lol 25 yrs and I still do this sometimes, then when I find it, the light turns green lol
what a pain in the ***...you just have to wait until you get the feel of the bike...and it will still happen on occasion

Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Andy Arocho
Cruiser

took me a while to get it down on my iron, my first HD as-well, but unless theirs a major issue, then you'll get the hang of it

Ride Safe

Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Could be a couple of things-

Clutch is improperly adjusted.

Needs more riding to get "loosened up".

Primary/trans is over-filled, causing the clutch plates to drag, making it hard to get into neutral. This is a fairly common occurrence, due to many "techs" at the HD dealerships not paying attention to what they are doing.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 AM
Draciron
1st Gear

Do you see the N flash at all? It's a pain to get that feel down and of course when you DON"T want neutral it's easy to get there. If I haven't ridden in a couple days on mine, I'll see N flash then 2nd. Flash then first and back and forth till I get the feel down. In a few weeks it'll be 2nd nature too me but for right now it can be a pain. Especially after I took a safety course for my endorsement. After 2 days on those little bikes, finding Neutral on my hog was like the first time I sat down on it.

If your never seeing the N flash as your going back & forth tween 1st & 2nd looking for neutral, then it sounds like more than just getting used to the bike.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2013 until I did the 1K check up. New fluid & clutch adjustment did wonders. No more problem with neutral except LED light burnt out. HD replaced whole wire harness LED cluster on warranty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here and already problem with my 13 72 sportster