Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 PM
themtlscrewjob
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bike won't start.

Hey guys. I've subscribed to the forum specifically for this post. I've been looking around for a while, never posted. I ran into a problem with my bike 2 weeks ago. Couldn't precisely find a solution to my problem, searched through different forums, tried many things before actually posting.

I own a 1988 Sportster 883 upgraded to a 1200. I've been using it all summer long, not a problem. The clutch is brand new from this year.

About 2 weeks ago, I took the bike to go to work and it took it 3-4 good tries before starting (see video). Finally started and no problem on the way to work. When my shift was done, same thing happened but it took way more tries to get it to start.

Figured it was the battery so I tested it, it's reading 12.2V. I thought it was a bit low, so I charged it. I had tried to start the bike a lot so I thought that might have drained it. Charged it for 2 good days. When it was done I tested it and it said 12.5V. Tried starting the bike again and nothing.

Then I looked at the starter. Took it apart and sent it to get fixed. Guy at the garage said it needed a little bit of love, said the clutch drive on the starter didn't work so he changed it, I had 2 rusty brushes so he cleaned it up. I figured my problem was solved.

Today I reinstalled the starter, cleaned the battery connectors, put everything back into place, tightened everything... the bike didn't start and it made the same awful sound.

I need to mention that before I took the starter off the bike, I tried it first. It started after 1 or 2 tries. Took it for a ride, didn't notice anything different from when I was riding it earlier this summer. Clutch is smooth engine is good, no problem. Came back home, turned it off and the same thing happened. Here's a video I took today after putting it back together. I don't know much about mechanic to be honest. The starter seems to be working fine, it engages the gear but the engine is not starting.

Could it be the battery that's not strong enough?

Thanks in advance guys for your help. Sorry if the same problem was solved but I couldn't find anything like this.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

this is an interesting one. I'm subscribing to this thread.

Be patient dude, someone will chime in and give you some help.

If you find the problem on your own make sure you come back here and post up. We like to hear solutions when they finally pop up. That's how we all learn.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Bike won't start.

If it was the battery your starter wouldn't work or it would be really slow. I don't think it's the battery. I'd look into spark or fuel.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's weird that the motor doesn't even try to turn over at all.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The first thing people who don`t understand the starter system do when there is a starting problem is suspect the starter itself, but it is almost never the starter...

The video shows a starter ring gear that has broken away from the clutch outer shell.

Nobody else saw that?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Boblucci
Stage II

Dan is right it doesnt sound like the engine is actually turning over, is the fly wheel "keyeed" to the crank, take the clutch basket off and see whats going on

Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boblucci
Dan is right it doesnt sound like the engine is actually turning over, is the fly wheel "keyeed" to the crank, take the clutch basket off and see whats going on
I'd second that. It's possible that the key on the crank broke which is why the pistons might not be turning over.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

yeah the basket isnt even moving - strange for sure

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM
themtlscrewjob
Stage II

Alright thanks for the input guys. I'll do that tomorrow morning and let you know how it went. If it has something to do with the clutch I might call my garage tho... its brand new from march so there must be some kind of guarantee.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Boblucci
Stage II

but if they key broke that might mean there is a bigger problem, dropped a valve and it hit the piston in gear and sheered off the key somehow......just a thought

Quick Reply: Bike won't start.