Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak fp3 cause ecm to go out??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

My take on the fp3 from my reading is that it saves the original map so I was thinking you could down load the original map any time it had to go back to the dealer.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SWMB
My take on the fp3 from my reading is that it saves the original map so I was thinking you could down load the original map any time it had to go back to the dealer.
I have always wondered about that. I'm curious if some type of date stamp or file type designation is stored on the original flash when uploaded once again using the FP3 or the SuperChips Vigilante flash tuners. Both of those flash tuners store your original stock tune for later use if needed.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:52 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
The big thing is did they (the dealer) say that or did HD say that? my guess is it's just the dealer trying to scare you into their upgrades.
I'd ask to see proof (email/fax etc) from HD if they claim it's from corporate.
If V&H confirms that it is the correct unit for your bike and it checks out good I'd put it back in with confidence, if for some weird reason it does do it again just take to a different dealer (assuming it's not HD itself saying there is no more warranty).
The dealer stated that it was the fuelpak. As far as taking the bike to different dealer, wouldn't they have a track record of whats been done to my bike? I always thought harley inputs vins into their database, which can be viewable by other dealers.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ST8cruzin
The dealer stated that it was the fuelpak. As far as taking the bike to different dealer, wouldn't they have a track record of whats been done to my bike? I always thought harley inputs vins into their database, which can be viewable by other dealers.
Yes they do that's why I said to find out if it's just the dealer saying this or if it's Harley Davidson corporate. If it was me I would phone HD corporate myself and find out, as far as I know they can't void, modify or change your warranty without a reason and if V&H says the fuelpack is fine they have no reason. Again I suspect the dealer is BS'ing you but you need to find out.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Yes they do that's why I said to find out if it's just the dealer saying this or if it's Harley Davidson corporate. If it was me I would phone HD corporate myself and find out, as far as I know they can't void, modify or change your warranty without a reason and if V&H says the fuelpack is fine they have no reason. Again I suspect the dealer is BS'ing you but you need to find out.
I will take your advice. I called up Vance and Hines again and they told me that they're going to take a look and see if anything fried inside the fuelpak. If the fuelpak wasn't the cause of the ECM to go out, I requested that they write a letter saying so. That way Harley can't blame Vance and Hines.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 AM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I just had my bike in for a warranty issue where my oil tank split at the seam and was leaking oil. I asked the guy to put conventional oil in instead of synthetic because I got blow back with synthetic blah blah. He told me I was reving too high and I mentioned it just happened doing 4 grand on the highway going 75mph that did it (this was before I figure out a bolt was loose) but then he told me that I should use 6th gear and there is no reason a sportster would run 4000rpm on the highway. I learned not to listen to a majority of the people that work at dealerships.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ST8cruzin
I will take your advice. I called up Vance and Hines again and they told me that they're going to take a look and see if anything fried inside the fuelpak. If the fuelpak wasn't the cause of the ECM to go out, I requested that they write a letter saying so. That way Harley can't blame Vance and Hines.
@st8cruzin- Could you confirm your Year and model? It got a little confusing in earlier posts.

I wanted to clarify a few things for you. First, if this is the earlier Fuelpak, all it did was intercept the pulse width signals from the ECM going to the injectors. The rest of the signals were just passed through the connector. Sportsters, 61023, was a sub harness that plugged in underneath the seat, (not ECM). I have never had an ECM "fail" because of this design. It is in HD dealer's diagnostic tool otherwise known as Digitech, that they follow a flow chart of events. If they do not know how to diagnose the issue, they just replace the ECM as prescribed at the bottom of their flowchart. This is typical with most all electronic issues.

As for FP3 and ECM issues. We have never "fried" and ECM. In fact, we still have our test fixture that continually flashes, (via external fixture and harness) automatically testing how many times an ECM can be flashed. This test is over 100,000 cycles. Which is far beyond any normal user, which would be roughly 277 days of flashing your ECM, (no breaks). If your flash going into the bike was corrupted for whatever reason, (signal issues, phone hardware etc.) we can still send remote commands through the FP3 to flash your stock back into the ECM and get it to it's original state.

If you have any questions, you can send me an email to cneely@vanceandhines.com

Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sawka
but then he told me that I should use 6th gear and there is no reason a sportster would run 4000rpm on the highway. I learned not to listen to a majority of the people that work at dealerships.
Especially the service writer.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:33 AM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
@st8cruzin- Could you confirm your Year and model? It got a little confusing in earlier posts.

I wanted to clarify a few things for you. First, if this is the earlier Fuelpak, all it did was intercept the pulse width signals from the ECM going to the injectors. The rest of the signals were just passed through the connector. Sportsters, 61023, was a sub harness that plugged in underneath the seat, (not ECM). I have never had an ECM "fail" because of this design. It is in HD dealer's diagnostic tool otherwise known as Digitech, that they follow a flow chart of events. If they do not know how to diagnose the issue, they just replace the ECM as prescribed at the bottom of their flowchart. This is typical with most all electronic issues.

As for FP3 and ECM issues. We have never "fried" and ECM. In fact, we still have our test fixture that continually flashes, (via external fixture and harness) automatically testing how many times an ECM can be flashed. This test is over 100,000 cycles. Which is far beyond any normal user, which would be roughly 277 days of flashing your ECM, (no breaks). If your flash going into the bike was corrupted for whatever reason, (signal issues, phone hardware etc.) we can still send remote commands through the FP3 to flash your stock back into the ECM and get it to it's original state.

If you have any questions, you can send me an email to cneely@vanceandhines.com

Thank you for the quick response. I have a 2015 iron 883. In regards to your statement above about resetting the ECM, I was able to do that successfully through my phone (uploading my stock map). I did so right next to the mechanic that was working on my bike. He stated that every time he started my bike, it would throw a different error code every time. He also said that this is nothing he has ever seen before.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak fp3 cause ecm to go out??