Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak fp3 cause ecm to go out??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak fp3 cause ecm to go out??

For those of you who have been following my post, you know that I had to bring my bike in for service because of a high idle issue. The dealership ruled out a defective iac and intake leak. They told me that the reason my bike was idling extremely high was because the ecm was bad. They are saying the reason the ecm went out was because of the fuelpak fp3. I called Vance and Hines and asked them if they have ever heard of this happening and they said "never." I was wondering if any of you heard of this happening?

Btw, Harley is going to warranty my bike, but they said if it happens again, the wont warranty it. They suggested that I go with the HD stage 1 download. I'm having doubts about the download because some of you have said the bike runs like ****. I have the Vance and Hines short shots with a big sucker intake.

Your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

If Fuelpacks were frying ECM's it would be all over the forums, they are just looking for an excuse rather than saying "we get these ECM's made by the lowest bidder in China, they are crap, and they fry on their own all the time".

Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
If Fuelpacks were frying ECM's it would be all over the forums, they are just looking for an excuse rather than saying "we get these ECM's made by the lowest bidder in China, they are crap, and they fry on their own all the time".
Thanks for your input HOTLAP. I've done quite a bit of research on the forums about this and came up with nothing. Some have said they've blown ecu fuses because of the fuelpak. Wouldn't Harley have to prove the reason why the ecm went out was because of the fuelpak? I'm sending my fuelpak into Vance and Hines and they're going to see if my fuelpak is defective. If they don't find anything wrong with it, do you think I should tell Harley that the fuelpak wasn't the cause?

Last edited by ST8cruzin; 08-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I checked V&H website yesterday. It doesn't even show the FP3 being for a Sportster. Touring bikes only. Who solded you that FP3?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Curt1953
I checked V&H website yesterday. It doesn't even show the FP3 being for a Sportster. Touring bikes only. Who solded you that FP3?
No, Vance and Hines does make a fp3 for newer model sportsters.

Here's the link: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vance-hines-fuelpak-fp3-autotuner-for-harley-2011-2015

Old 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Okay I see now. Starting in 2014. Someone must've gave you the wrong year then. I wouldn't use that one again.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I say total bull from the dealer. Furthermore if they were that sure the the FP3 caused the problem, they would not replace it under warranty. The way I see it they were just trying to sell you a tune.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 PM
chiefy305
Cruiser

I have the fp3 on my sportster crossing fingers this doesn't happen to me... glad atleast they r changing it for u.. they just want u to spend 150 on there tune!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM
ST8cruzin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
I say total bull from the dealer. Furthermore if they were that sure the the FP3 caused the problem, they would not replace it under warranty. The way I see it they were just trying to sell you a tune.
I agree with you. The guy that's working on my bike suggested the stage 1 download just to keep my bike within the warranty guidelines.. Wouldn't harley have to prove that the reason the ECM went out was because of the fuelpak?

Lastly, if the fuelpak did cause the ECM to take $hit, what other options do I have to keep the bike within the warranty? They did say "we won't replace it again if it happens."

Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

The big thing is did they (the dealer) say that or did HD say that? my guess is it's just the dealer trying to scare you into their upgrades.
I'd ask to see proof (email/fax etc) from HD if they claim it's from corporate.
If V&H confirms that it is the correct unit for your bike and it checks out good I'd put it back in with confidence, if for some weird reason it does do it again just take to a different dealer (assuming it's not HD itself saying there is no more warranty).

Quick Reply: Fuelpak fp3 cause ecm to go out??