Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Without a windshield I felt like I would get blown off the bike at 60 with a little head wind. A guy gave me a 14" Windvest off a custom and I made some brackets to adapt it to my 1200C. I had it higher at first but didn't like the way it loked and the performance of the bike seemed off. I lowered it to the position in the pic below and I have no plans to remove it. If there is any performance loss I got used to it and having the wind off my chest is great. I wear a full face modular helmet so on the road I don't get any wind in the face anyways. On a slow country road I can flip the face up and enjoy the breeze.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

A bare Sporty is about as raw a bike as you can get now, and I like that; putting a wimpshield on does take a lot of that away. But I'm getting old, and the body isn't lasting like the bike, higher speeds for an hour start making my lower back and shoulders ache. Put a Plexifairing 3 on this spring and it sure took the pressure off. The lower extensions do a good job of breaking up the wind that typically come up under the windshield, makes this the best fork mount I've ridden behind for turbulence; no vision blurring like I've had with a few. It's also a "quick disconnect", though putting it back on can take several minutes, seems to slip out of adjustment easily when you're trying to put it on. The mounting looks a little on the flimsy side, but it holds fine at 80 - fast enough for me with a fork mount windshield.

So far, the only downside I have with this one is a lack of cooling air in warm weather; near 80 degrees it gets warm in my preferred armored mesh jacket. But if I'm not going much over an hour, I'd rather take the shield off anyway. It's also on the noisy side, but most windshields I've ridden with were.

I will admit, it sure is nice to have one on in a snow/rain mix.

Next up for the 1200C is mid pegs; tried them on my 883 and it's much easier on my back with the legs in position to take off a lot of the strain. A couple hours on the smaller bike is easy with no shield. It had a small shield on it when I got it, and I hated it, blurred my vision, shook the bike in wind gusts, and just took the sport out of Sporty; that's why I picked the much larger shield to try on the 1200.

Last edited by Imold; 08-29-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a SH300 scooter which has a Givi Airflow adjustable height screen on it. This is my daily commuter and the screen is a God send as I ride all year round in all weathers. If I can get grip, i'll go!

Returning to biking for a hobby saw me buying the Iron 883. I was amazed at the wind blast that hit me in the chest, even at 50mph, after years of being hidden behind a screen.

At first i was thinking WTF! But now I love it. The wind blast reminds me of when I first experienced motorised two wheel transport. Its taken me back to my youth in some ways. I love hanging onto the thing on the highway.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM
user 62642348
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

I recently equipped my 883 with a Dart flyscreen (shown in sig photo below). Not a windshield, and definitely not a fairing. But it eliminates almost all of the buffeting I used to feel on my chest at speeds of 80 kph and up. As a result, I'm much less tired after long rides, and my neck doesn't get sore. And I still get that "wind in my face" experience.

Alan

Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

The buffeting on the head and helmet is turbulence coming from down low, and around the tank. A good set of lowers will stop the head buffeting or a windshield that protrudes lower.
Clearview Shields makes a great replacement shield that will bolt up to your existing set up. Mine with the re-curve helped reduce buffeting to almost nothing.Custom made all the way with great customer service, and discounts for veterans.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...pact-brackets/

Old 08-29-2015, 12:21 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windvest

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs

This is mine with a Windvest. I swore I wouldn't use it except on long trips. Now I can't live without it. I love it. I look over it and hardly notice it's there and it deflects a good deal of wind from my body and makes highway speed very comfortable. I still have the wind in my face, it's just not trying to push me off anymore.
Now that's an interesting alternative!
Wonder how that would work on my Dyna Low.
Going to look into that one.
Many thanks for posting.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts
Default First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

Originally Posted by USAFANGWINGNUT67
Now that's an interesting alternative!
Wonder how that would work on my Dyna Low.
Going to look into that one.
Many thanks for posting.
You are welcome. They also have excellent reviews online.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:10 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I've had my Sporty XL1200C, my first bike, for 3 weeks. I put 700 miles on so far, which I'm kinda proud of, including about 50 miles of highway. I found the wind at 60 & up to be a little unpleasant, so I figured I'd get a windshield.

What's your take on windshields?
Personally I have a HD large shield, quick release, nice works well, some buffeting at 85 + .

I like the shield, with bags & trunk makes a nice personal mini-cruiser. I do 150 miles and more and the time in the saddle needs to be easy, I don't need to get beat up when I ride or arrive wet.

Shields work, many use them, like them, keep them, adjust, tweak till it works for ya.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2015, 02:06 PM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

if you're haing issues with 2 different windshields, perhaps you have the wrong size shields on your bike for your height. Harley has a template shield that they can put on your bike and determine the correct size for you as you are sitting on it. There are also videos online that will show you how to measure the appropriate size windshield on your own from places like JP Cycles. Here's a link:
Hope this helps....

Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Thank you all for excellent, excellent advice. I realize in the original pic I had the shield way too high. I lowered it halfway and was out on the highway today. I was doing 65-70 and was feeling pretty relaxed. But around 45mph the head buffeting and blurred vision was not good.
My trip to work is 55 miles each way, and I'd like to go on the bike at least 1 day a week, that's when I would use the shield.

I raised the turn signals up tonight and now the shield is down as low as it can go. This closed off more area around the headlight. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.
In the last pic, the yellow line is even with my eye level.

Quick Reply: First ride with a windshield...what have I done!