Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
...Ever figure out why crotch rocket windshields work? Big enough to take the pressure off the rider so maybe i need to start looking at 1/4 fairings. I don't think they make a big enough shield for a Sportster to make it work.
I had a National Cycle Fly Screen on my 2007 XL1200R and now have the Harley Compact Sport "Fly Screen". It does take the wind off your chest so you don't have to fight it at 65+ mph. Not full wind protection, but still a good compromise between feeling the wind or not when riding. They really do work as advertised. Dart also has a nice Fly Screen.

I have it adjusted to hit the chin on my full face helmet. No helmet buffeting at all. I also wear a Bell 3/4 with face shield and no buffeting with that either.

IF I was riding long distances, I "might" want a bigger shield, but for my daily commuting (Freeway/Highway at 65+ mph) it works great.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Windshields should be positioned about two inches below your line of sight and tilted to the rear so as to direct the wind up and over you. Yours is set up like a snow plow. It's too high and leaned forward. No wonder you're getting blasted with air. You're diverting it down and it hitting you from under the shield.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Yours is set up like a snow plow. It's too high...
I lowered it and posted a new pic, at post #30.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaowa14
I too started thinking about getting a windshield (or at least a FF helmet) after my 1st time on the highway going 60+ mph for about 30 minutes. But I took a small trip this weekend about 150 miles each way going 60-70 mph the whole time and no longer feel the need to get a shield. I think it just takes a trip or two to get used to the feeling.
The biggest negative of not having a shield is being spattered with bugs on your face shield and clothing. Nothing i like more than bug brains on a high dollar riding jacket. I love riding without a shield otherwise. Haven't had my shield on all summer come to think of it. I can't stand the noise and buffeting it creates. You are right riding 150-200 miles even at highway speeds is not physically demanding. Cross country is a whole other ballgame.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Well folks, I'm here to declare the Super Sport windshield...a success! Now that it's lowered down all the way I have no head buffeting issues. I took the girl out on the interstate for 8 miles of 70 mph, with a tick up to 75 before I got off the exit. Nice and comfortable! No white knuckles, no hang on for dear life feeling.

I've reached the upper limit I expect to ride on this bike, unless I take it to the autobahn or something. For highway trips, the shield will go on. I love happy endings.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
dustydog2
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

97c

14" black frame, off a 14 , 48

Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsoldier181
I went the fairing route, with a memphis shades gauntlet. It pushes the wind up, keeping it off my chest. I dont do much over 65 (there arent a lot of places I ride where you can go that fast, unfortunately, in this state), but when I did without it, it felt like I was fighting to stay on the bike. The gauntlet still allows me to get the wind, but reduces the fighting feel for me.
totally understand where you are coming from, for 8 months I had my MS Gauntlet on and took it off for a day. Soon realised why I had out it on as moving over 60 was back to being hammered in the chest again.
It is now back on again

Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Windshields, fairings, hand protectors and foot protectors are not for me. I ride a motorcycle to ride a motorcycle not try to get as close to being inside my car as possible. I like to feel the wind in my face and my pants beating against my legs that's what it's all about to me I like the whole experience not just part of it.
My thoughts exactly.

OP: Do what you like though and don't even worry about what other people think.

Eventually you'll find the perfect combo whether it's a mask + helmet or a wind screen.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Just ordered my Memphis Shades gauntlet. It seems to be the perfect balance. Wind off the body, wind in your face. After much money, trial and error i'm certain you can not find quiet air behind a windshield on a Sportster. I can say that after having nearly $1500 of experiments with 3 different windshields. I honestly have grown to hate windshields. Every review of the gauntlet and most 1/4 fairings has been exceptional for wind protection and comfort. I'll post up in a day or two once i get it bolted on.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:45 PM
InspectorMark
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Dustydog2
What seat do you have on your bike. Are you happy with it? I have the stock touring seat and after about 45 minutes I am ready to get off the bike.

Quick Reply: First ride with a windshield...what have I done!