Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts
Default First ride with a windshield...what have I done!

EDIT: The shield is lowered now, pic posted lower down.

I've had my Sporty XL1200C, my first bike, for 3 weeks. I put 700 miles on so far, which I'm kinda proud of, including about 50 miles of highway. I found the wind at 60 & up to be a little unpleasant, so I figured I'd get a windshield.

Being a noob and all, I figured I'd slap on the windshield, and then I could do 70 and it would feel like being in my car. Ha ha, just kidding. I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I figured it would be a world of difference.

I took a 30 mile ride tonight with the shield for the first time. As soon as I hit 45mph I was like "It's going back!" I only was able to get up to 55 on county roads, and the results were...meh. For non-highway rides, the wind in the face rules. I really didn't like the effect.

Oh, I got the HD Super Sport QR shield (57838-08). It's around 17"W x 23"H.

I guess I have to reserve judgment until I try it on the highway, but it didn't block the wind near as much as I thought it would. I initially had it set all the way up. I stopped mid-ride and lowered it down an inch, and that seemed to improve my helmet from being hit as much.

I'll probably keep it, but I don't think it'll be on a lot, which is why I'm glad I got QR.

What's your take on windshields?

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 08-31-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

Windshields, fairings, hand protectors and foot protectors are not for me. I ride a motorcycle to ride a motorcycle not try to get as close to being inside my car as possible. I like to feel the wind in my face and my pants beating against my legs that's what it's all about to me I like the whole experience not just part of it.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Windshields, fairings, hand protectors and foot protectors are not for me. I ride a motorcycle to ride a motorcycle not try to get as close to being inside my car as possible. I like to feel the wind in my face and my pants beating against my legs that's what it's all about to me I like the whole experience not just part of it.
I am with this guy. I wear a full face on long trips because of gravel and such but for the most part I just rough it. I had a windsheild on when I first got it because somebody insisted I would like it. $600 I'm never getting back...

Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I understand where you guys are coming from. This is actually why I got a Sporty, because it seemed to be a little rough around the edges to me, in a good way. Fortunately the shield was sub $300 and there's always eBay. But I'm going to spend a little time with it in different conditions first.

So you guys hit the highway at full speed without shields? I guess that would take some getting used to.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the wind, it makes me feel how fast I am going. Long rides it can get tiring. But 1-2 hours, I love it. I don't see the point in riding a bike with a shield unless you're doing long distance touring. I want to feel like I'm riding a motorcycle. Then I wouldn't bother with a sporty anyways, I'd get something more cushy. I like my sporty cuz it's mean, lean, and slaps bugs in my teeth. If I got a windscreen I'd need to find another source of protein.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish

So you guys hit the highway at full speed without shields? I guess that would take some getting used to.
I cruise the freeway at 80 for an hour, no problem. I'm not riding around with ape hangers though sucking wind into my chest like a parachute.

Do whatever you like and don't care what others think. You like your screen? Use your screen. You don't like it, don't use it. You like it for long rides only? Slap it on once in a while.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

sheesh that thing is up high!

My windshield sits about a 1/4in above my headlight housing.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
sheesh that thing is up high!

My windshield sits about a 1/4in above my headlight housing.

I lowered it after taking that pic, it's a lot better.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I've bought two bikes over the years with windshields and took them off both, just didn't like the feeling of riding in my motorcycle rather than on it.
A good fitting full face helmet and I can ride all day at freeway speeds and enjoy being out in the wind.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I really like my windshield. I never leave home with out it.

Quick Reply: First ride with a windshield...what have I done!