Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil getting into, and dripping out of the starter. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Jimbo45
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil getting into, and dripping out of the starter housing. Help!

My 2005 883 just turned over 18k miles, and I put the last 800 miles on it since I got it a month ago. I noticed an oil spot the size of a quarter on the floor the other day, and after degreasing and riding again, I am reasonably sure oil is dripping out of the bottom of the starter housing, where the starter housing sections bolt together. Whats wierd, is that it looks more like engine oil on the floor, since its not really red like the oil I put in the trans (but, I suppose it could be dirtied up red oil).

There is not supposed to be any oil inside a sportster starter, right? So, I assume there is a seal that sits around the starter shaft inside the primary, that has failed, and is letting oil into my starter, where it is dripping out. Am I right? How big of a job is this, what parts do I need, and where does a guy get a digital service manual? Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by Jimbo45; 08-30-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Check the oil line that runs near the starter and make sure it's not cut or damaged around there. You may have a hose clamp around the starter. Check and see if the starter is secured properly. You will need to take off the primary cover and check the two bolts that secure the starter. They should be at between 13 to 20 Foot pounds. You may need to add some sealant to the face of the clutch assembly housing if its leaking around there.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Jimbo45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
Check the oil line that runs near the starter and make sure it's not cut or damaged around there. You may have a hose clamp around the starter. Check and see if the starter is secured properly. You will need to take off the primary cover and check the two bolts that secure the starter. They should be at between 13 to 20 Foot pounds. You may need to add some sealant to the face of the clutch assembly housing if its leaking around there.
Oil line that runs near the starter? I didn't see such a line when I looked. I am reasonably sure it is actually coming out of the starter housing, since the seam in the housing case, is seeping oil, all the way around. That tells me the starter is getting oil into it, and its dripping out. If oil was simply coming out where the starter to primary case gasket is, then oil wouldn't be leaching out all the way around where the starter housing seam is. I can't believe I am the only one to have this problem. Thats my luck though. Ugh. I am pretty sure a new starter would fix it, but at $300 some just for the starter, I was hoping a rebuild of the starter might be possible, since it works fine still.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might need a: 31488-81B GASKET, STARTER MOTOR

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TER%20ASSEMBLY

You'll have to pull the primary cover to get to the two bolts for the starter motor, so you'll also need a 34955-04 GASKET, PRIMARY COVER.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TER%20ASSEMBLY

Hope this helps, good luck

Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jimbo45
Oil line that runs near the starter? I didn't see such a line when I looked. I am reasonably sure it is actually coming out of the starter housing, since the seam in the housing case, is seeping oil, all the way around. That tells me the starter is getting oil into it, and its dripping out. If oil was simply coming out where the starter to primary case gasket is, then oil wouldn't be leaching out all the way around where the starter housing seam is. I can't believe I am the only one to have this problem. Thats my luck though. Ugh. I am pretty sure a new starter would fix it, but at $300 some just for the starter, I was hoping a rebuild of the starter might be possible, since it works fine still.
Buy the starter gasket for $5 and the primary gasket for $!8 and do the work yourself... that's priceless!
Your starter is NOT "getting oil into it"... but you can also pull the starter apart to verify it and clean the armature and brushes on the bench while you have it off the bike.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior

Get a factory service manual and use the on line parts manual linked above. Always do the service yourself... there's no way the dealer would ever pull the starter apart just to clean it, change the primary fluid and adjust the clutch in the normal course of changing a stater motor to primary gasket.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Get a service manual and you will then be able to see for yourself about the gasket and the recommendation to use a sealant as I posted before.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Jimbo45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
Buy the starter gasket for $5 and the primary gasket for $!8 and do the work yourself... that's priceless!
Your starter is NOT "getting oil into it"... but you can also pull the starter apart to verify it and clean the armature and brushes on the bench while you have it off the bike.
I know it sounds weird, but why is the oil coming out of where the starter is bolted together, if its not taking on oil? I will try to get a pic or two in the next few days.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

A pic will be good because I'm wondering how you can see oil coming out of the starter case because it is pretty hard to determine where the leak is coming from when everything is together in that area. Leaks as mentioned already can come from the primary area near the starter or from the hoses that run along the outside of the starter. Take a good look on the right side of the bike and you will see the oil hoses running along the starter, Normally a bracket that is attached to the starter helps secure those lines. You said before no oil lines near the starter, look again.

Now as for the gasket on the primary side, that also is a known issue for leaks. The starter is either loose there or the gasket and seal is shot. Those are the two known causes for oil leaks in that area. I attached a video that discusses some of those leaks. Look at the whole series if you plan on doing the job. While your at it do a complete oil change (both holes), black oil is not a good sign.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Jimbo45
Intermediate

Thanks cool inferno. I actually watched those vids the other night. On the oil lines, yeah I see them, I just meant there weren't any lines where the leak actually is. I would agree, on simply the starter to primary case gasket leaking, and still may be the problem. The oil is not on the right side of the trans near the lines, but on top of the primary case, right below the starter, and it drips down the inside of the primary, and to the ground. The reason I think it's coming out of the starter, is even after degreasing the whole engine and starter, I did a decent ride and checked it. Oil had dripped from the starter housing, and when looking at the seam in the starter housing, I could see oil leaching out of this joint in the starter housing, all the way around, even on top. That suggested to me that there is oil inside the starter. I will try to get a pic or two, then degrease it all again and check more closely, now that I have narrowed it down.

I saw on some other threads, concerning big twins, there were several instances where starters were leaking oil, and it turned out the starter's clutch bearing didn't have, or had a faulty, bearing seal. Is this possible on the sportster starter?

Oh, and on my oil.....I may have mis spoken. Both my engine and trans oil are newer, with about 750 miles on them. I only said black, to differentiate it from the red oil in the trans.

Quick Reply: Oil getting into, and dripping out of the starter. Help!