Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin cam woes, inspire a sporty build...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin cam woes, inspire a sporty build...

So the other day I went to the dealership to buy some foot pegs for my 14 Iron. I was checking out the new bikes when approached by a salesman. I suddenly became interested in what a 50 dollar payment increase would get me. So I filled out the credit app and started looking at some used bikes.

Salesman shows me a 14 wide glide, 11 Softail Blackline, and a 14 Lowrider. I was digging the Blackline a lot and worked up some numbers on it. So the deal ended up being, paying off the Iron totally, a payment increase of 30 bucks for the 11 Blackline. It has stage 1 plus a lot of extras. How could I go wrong?

Well I ended up heading home to think things over. I debate every angle I could think of. I wasn't totally sold yet, but I am really entertaining the idea of trading. I text my Dad a picture and ask him how he likes Softail's. He says he loves em. Now I am really excited. Then he asks me if its an EVO or a twin cam. Then he tells me how they are known to have some engine issues. Which leads me to some heavy research on twin cams.

I find out about the FATAL design flaws and the large increase in maintenance. Now I am so glad I didn't do anything crazy. Now you must understand, I still have the urge for something bigger and badder. However I truly do love my Iron, I just want that power and long distance capability. I also want to carry the wife around.

Now for the fun part. I am also the proud owner of a 2001 1200c. I originally purchased it to flip. This whole deal has me wanting to build a sporty and make it as big and bad as I can.

Can any of you guys make suggestions on things to do to accomplish this? I'm thinking maybe start with a custom tank that sits wider like the big twins... And the grand finale would be a 1250 kit or bigger if its possible. With lots of stuff in the middle. Anyone who decided to do something similar, with there sporty, please feel free to offer me some inspiration.

Also any comments about the twin cam engine troubles would be appreciated. As I am curious if it is really as bad as some make it out to be!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Ive been debating the same thing recently. My iron is paid off and I love it. At the same time I would love to pick up a new softail slim. I am planning on doing my 1250 conversation this winter. Or maybe pick up an old shovelhead project? I don't know I'm ****ing lost. Definitely not gonna sell my iron though, would like to have 2 bikes. Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't know why you are down on TC engines. They've been powering several hundreds of thousands of bikes since the motor was introduced (if not a million +.)

Over the years, they've had a few issues;

Primary tensioner, premature failure. Fixed with better hardware about 10 years ago. It wasn't a chronic issue that affected every bike, but it was common enough. Easy to diagnose and fix prior to full failure.
Compensator failure. Poorly designed part. Two or three revisions have made this part much better. Final design was 2013 I believe. Also not a chronic issue.

Crank design changes that affect high-power builds. This isn't an issue really, only that '03 or '04 and later cranks were manufactured differently (less expensively) and the design doesn't withstand heavy loads from high-power motors as well as the previous solid crank. The fix? Have your cent welded if you are building a hot rod.
Also, HD went to less expensive crank bearings around the same time. Same fix. Put better bearings in a hot rod.
Neither of these two crank "fixes" is any more than I would expect to do with a hot rod car engine. Normal TC motors run fine with the HD parts.

Someone sold you a bill of goods if you are afraid of a TC engine due to perceived problems. Check out the Thug/Club thread in the Duna section and see some very hot-motored hikes that perform very well with reliability.

That said, your Sportster build should be cool too.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate

Well I must admit I am not completely educated about the issue. However when researching the issue, what I am seeing is the increased cost of maintenance. That's the main reason I was asking about more info to see if it is actually as big a deal as I am reading.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
chiefy305
Cruiser

I was in a predicament also where I was gonna trade in my 15 iron for a dyna street bob... but considering u lose money on all trades... and I didn't feel like taking everything off that I put on the bike I decided to keep her and get the 1250 kit and pay $1000 for the upgrade... so ill keep her for a few more yrs 3 maybe lol and I'm getting an Indian Chief (don't ban me )

Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate

They were paying off my Iron even...but when I stand back and look at the bikes I like MY Iron better. It may not be as big and flashy but it suits me well. I like very curvy roads not highways. I usually commute to work and ride out to the mountains on the weekends.

Chiefy you only paid 1000 for your 1250 upgrade?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The day Harley-Davidson brings out a new big-twin with the same features as on the Sportster (parallel pushrods and a secondary transmission on the right side of the bike), I'll buy one!

Uh-Oh!

Wait!

Indian did!

Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by silentlycreeping
They were paying off my Iron even...but when I stand back and look at the bikes I like MY Iron better. It may not be as big and flashy but it suits me well. I like very curvy roads not highways. I usually commute to work and ride out to the mountains on the weekends.

Chiefy you only paid 1000 for your 1250 upgrade?
The 1250 kits are only 600-700 from Hammer and NHRS. Bust out a manual and tools and knock it out yourself. That's my plan.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate

I haven't done a stage 1 yet. So I'm adding the cost of the tuner also. I guess you could just use stock clutch till it goes out. Instead of replacing it right away. But originally I was adding that cost, in the job.

Has anyone used this tank on there sporty?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...atbob-gas-tank

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
HBRHMR
Cruiser

This is a very individual situation that you need to soul search on. However, what I will say is that you need to love the bike. There shouldn't be an ounce of doubt if you're going to go down the road of beefing up a Sporty.

I've done a significant amount of work to mine and have even more planned for this winter. But my wife has her own and I don't take long trips.

In line with some of your goals...I swapped my 2.1 for a 3.3, I used to have street glide air shocks (would help you with 2up), and I'm planning on putting a 200 tire on this winter. As for the engine, the 1250 kits are nice. I'm going to jump from a 1200 to an 88"

That being said, I'm not looking for long haul comfort and I know my bike will never be as fast as a plastic liter bike.

Quick Reply: Twin cam woes, inspire a sporty build...