Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat Question for a short person

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 AM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mustang Seat Question for a short person

Im sure this has come up in the forum but i can't seem to find anything and wondered what you all thought out there. I am 5'2" with a short inseam - about 28 inches. I have a 2010 Sportster 1200 L. I replaced the stock seat with a Harley solo reduced reach seat so my feet can touch the ground; i modified the forward controls with a conversion kit that pulled them back a bit. I do a lot of long distance riding and that Harley seat is not as comfortable as I originally thought. I talked to the Mustang folks and they recommended i get the Vintage wide touring solo seat with backrest. Does anyone have one on their sportster, but my real question is will this seat, as comfortable as people say it is, allow me to place my feet flat on the ground, -- not a tiptoes - flat. Anyone have any observations. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have a sportster, but I will say that most of the day tripper seats will actually sit you back and lower to the ground. It will tell you if it does on their site man, good luck you won't be disappointed by their seats.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

The name tells you that the seat is wide and has more padding (touring) which will logically raise you. If the seat is wider than you have now with the reduce reach seat, it will spread your legs more thereby raising your feet. I am also vertically challenged and have the Mustang tripper fastback 2-up and the seat lowered me from stock and from the Lepera Aviator solo, but not as comfortable as a touring seat. I also lowered my bike.

An option is to get a touring seat and lower your bike....just a thought.

Happy hunting!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help with the Mustang question.
But when I had a large bike , the touring guys really liked http://www.meancitycycles.com/ for some really great seat mods.
Maybe you could have the reduced reach seat memory foamed if the position is good , just not comfy.
Give them a call and see if they have any ideas for you.
I would check out the seat thing first , and leave shorter suspension as a last resort if you ride distance.
Quality thick sole construction type boots might be a thought , better protection , more height , better footing at stops.
Mick

Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've literally just put the standard width vintage solo on my iron and it's so much more comfy over stock (done a 200+ mile ride in one day) I did find that it did raise me up and forward a bit which I noticed when stopped so also think the wide version would raise you a bit more due to legs being bit further apart when stopped? I was ok as adjusted rear shocks down one notch (as still set on 2 up riding which I no longer do) and distance from seat to ground when stopped was perfect. If you go with a mustang I'm sure you will be happy.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Mynamejeff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same bike as you. Mustang vintage solo raised me and put me a little further back. Sounds like the mustang rep just wants your money if hes recommending the wide solo. I would go with fastback or another lower sitting seat. But it is comfortable as all hell.

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Seat Question for a short person-20150726_133722-1.jpg  
Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly positive the Tripper solo lowered me

Old 09-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

I have the Vintage Solo. It will raise you a couple of inches.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 PM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the input...I really don't need to be raised up anymore than i am I just need a seat to be cushy for my tushy....I like the Mean City Cycles idea, which i'll look into. It just seems that all the mustang seats are very wide. My super reduced reach seat is 10.5 inches across....perfect so i'm not doing a split on the bike. The smallest width of the mustangs is 12" . Does anyone have any experience with Corbin Seats? they have a "Close" vintage but i noticed those too are 12 inches wide. but they are so pricey....because i'm also interested in a backrest. Any thoughts?