Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kevin's Build Thread (Complete From Start to Finish) PIC HEAVY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 AM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
Well I think it's a big plastic piece that also holds the red reflector. I can see you have the reflector on the left side, check your right side and see if you have one or not, I think it's all one piece plastic plate, with the turn signal wiring going along the top of the piece. I might try to make the gap on mine. Might be a passenger hazard though, jacket sleeve get caught in there or something
Nope definitely not there, and it wasn't there when I took the fender off either. Definitely not needed though, if you were thinking about doing it. Just make sure the wires don't rub on the tires at all and you'll be fine.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like the color man, getting pretty sick of the "Let's murder everything out" look. Really makes a big difference when you throw some contrast in there.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmant
Nope definitely not there, and it wasn't there when I took the fender off either. Definitely not needed though, if you were thinking about doing it. Just make sure the wires don't rub on the tires at all and you'll be fine.
Could you look up inside the fender for me and tell me how the right turn signal wiring is routed? If it's still on some kind of plastic wire guide along the fender?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:46 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Could you look up inside the fender for me and tell me how the right turn signal wiring is routed? If it's still on some kind of plastic wire guide along the fender?
I did it in such a way that it still goes through the hole in the rear of the rear fender, but I pulled it tight enough that I made sure it would not touch the tire. I tried taking a picture to show but it doesn't come out. Basically what I did was go through the hole in the fender next to the tail light, so the wire is inside the tire well. Then I snaked it outside and over the top of the second fender bolt. Then back inside just by going under the fender, not through a hole or anything, and then I sent it back through the rear wire hole from the inside. By going over the top of that second fender bolt, it made me able to pull it tight as well as make sure it stayed away from the tire. Hope that's descriptive enough haha.

Kevin

Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigmant
I did it in such a way that it still goes through the hole in the rear of the rear fender, but I pulled it tight enough that I made sure it would not touch the tire. I tried taking a picture to show but it doesn't come out. Basically what I did was go through the hole in the fender next to the tail light, so the wire is inside the tire well. Then I snaked it outside and over the top of the second fender bolt. Then back inside just by going under the fender, not through a hole or anything, and then I sent it back through the rear wire hole from the inside. By going over the top of that second fender bolt, it made me able to pull it tight as well as make sure it stayed away from the tire. Hope that's descriptive enough haha.

Kevin
I know exactly what you mean, thanks for the info!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

You did a great job there kid! In more ways than one. It looks awesome.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM
bigmant
Tourer

Update for all, got a few more things coming actually. I decided to go with DK customs speedo relocation to clean up the top of the handle bars as well as a set of their slip stream trap footpegs. Minor stuff, but lots of little things add up to a big difference. I'll make sure to put up lots of pictures so everyone can get an idea of if all that stuff will look good on their own bike.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Are you taking on the rhino liner bits at a time? My bike is by no means clean, but all that gunk would drive me crazy!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:52 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Are you taking on the rhino liner bits at a time? My bike is by no means clean, but all that gunk would drive me crazy!
Nope whatever is still there is gonna stay. It actually isn't too bad on the engine, especially since the 08 nightster have that weird gray color on the engine anyway. The really bad stuff was on all the tins which has been all taken care of now lol

Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM
bigmant
Tourer

Some new photos for the gang. Also some new stuff. DK Customs speedo relocation which cleaned up the top of the handlebars nicely. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Kevin's Build Thread (Complete From Start to Finish) PIC HEAVY!