Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb pissing out overflow?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 AM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb pissing out overflow?

I have to missing something simple here... Two weeks ago had the carb off the bike and cleaned it, put it all back together and I am pouring fuel out of the overflow tube... I'm at wits end, can anyone help? Thanks...

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 512 Posts

Calm down and tap the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle.

If that don't work you have the float bidding up. Pulling parts off again
and again is sometimes part of the game.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser

Ugh, thanks man... Patience isn't of of those thing I am good at, I will look at it again, and again..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member

Run a bit of Sea Foam through the fuel and carb too. It does work!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser

Been running it all summer... Just wondering if my float isn't floating anymore (cracked or hole) I will find out tomorrow

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnJohnson
Been running it all summer... Just wondering if my float isn't floating anymore (cracked or hole) I will find out tomorrow

Grab a bottle of this stuff. This ol' school stuff is incredible and found anywhere, Walmart, Kmart and any auto part stores.

Just a bit or a little over and save the rest for the weedeaters and lawnmowers.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

As others have stated, I think the float. Probably didn't get it back in correctly or something when you had it apart. And yeah -- I am a big fan of Seafoam. Ran some through my intake and oil this past summer in my very old 4Runner with 240K miles. Does wonders to clean out an engine.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Typically the float is a solid material.

Adjusting the float to the right "height" is critical. Adjustments get whacked out when disassembling the carb. It must be measured precisely or it may also cause stalling on acceleration.

Typically with a carb rebuild you replace the float valve. The neoprene tip on it rots with today's gas. It can leave residue in the valve seat too. I used a light compound on a q-tip to remove stuck rubber bits and pieces and to put a clean shine on the seat.

With my older bikes, with older carbs I would use the petcock to stop the flow when parked. When running it seemed there wasn't as much of an issue. But parking overnight often left gas dripping out the overflow tube.

The best thing I ever did was replace the old carb on my '86 with an S&S shorty Super E

Hopefully these tips will help you solve the issue of unwanted overflow.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser

Ok, I have the carb off, been running sea foam all summer, in fact about every third tank or so for the last 5 yrs. I have a rebuild kit that I will go pick up shortly and will go through everything again.... Was suffering from head cold but it's tolerable now, will get it rebuilt and put back on tomorrow and see what happens..

JohnnyC - it's fine when parked, when I fire it up (and it runs better than it ever has) is when it starts dumping fuel, I am wondering if I didn't get the float set right... This and more questions answered on tomorrow's episode of.... My Carb Is Screwed, lol

Hey, it does beat my old man who bought a brand new tri glide after waiting two weeks for delivery, it has spent 5 of the last 6 days back at the shop because it won't run! Lol

Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Typically the float is a solid material.

Adjusting the float to the right "height" is critical. Adjustments get whacked out when disassembling the carb. It must be measured precisely or it may also cause stalling on acceleration.

Typically with a carb rebuild you replace the float valve. The neoprene tip on it rots with today's gas. It can leave residue in the valve seat too. I used a light compound on a q-tip to remove stuck rubber bits and pieces and to put a clean shine on the seat.

With my older bikes, with older carbs I would use the petcock to stop the flow when parked. When running it seemed there wasn't as much of an issue. But parking overnight often left gas dripping out the overflow tube.

The best thing I ever did was replace the old carb on my '86 with an S&S shorty Super E

Hopefully these tips will help you solve the issue of unwanted overflow.

This was the cause on my 94. New float needle fixed it.