Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
I tried the kind that clamp on the fork. Ebay from china, which I'm pretty sure most if not all of those sold even from the american stores are still the china ones. The threads were total garbage inside one of the clamps, one couldn't even grab, and they really didn't cinch down very far, big gap left in between them. They said they were for 39mm forks, and they did line up, but not pretty. Bad quality, and I thought they looked ugly on my iron.

I bought these but haven't installed yet.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...m-harley-forks
Thanks for the heads up. I know what you mean about poor quality. I purchased handlebar clamps for my PV and they were the same...threads did not grab and when it did, the screw did not stop...it spinned in place.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
No need to lift off the ground since you will only be changing one bolt on each side. The other bolt will hold the fork tube in place. I chose the lower part (bolt) for the install, but have seen some use the upper bolt. Just make sure you adjust the angle of the turn signal before you tighten it down against the forks.
I've read that you need to lift the gas tank and disconnect the harness. Did you disconnect the wiring when you removed the turn signal from the handlebar?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I've read that you need to lift the gas tank and disconnect the harness. Did you disconnect the wiring when you removed the turn signal from the handlebar?
I've detached and moved my front signals around a lot, you shouldn't need to disconnect the wiring for them. If you have those plastic wire guides on the handlebars you will need to get it out of them though.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have installed three relocation kits, two of the ebay ones and one Harley kit for Sportsters up to 09. Oh I did one for a VROD also I had. I did not have to disconnect or splice the wiring on any of them. Nor did I have to lift or remove any of the tanks. For the Sportsters I removed the Headlamp bracket and moved the headlamp to the side. For some you may have to remove the handlebar also to get to the Headlamp bracket and make things easier. Be sure to put a towel or something similar on the tank and over the fender before you remove any of those parts to avoid damaging them. By removing the headlamp, you now have good access to the wiring behind the lamp and can see if any of the wiring is tie wrapped in that area. If it is, just cut the tie wrap(s) to give you more length for the wiring. You can also now route your signal lights easier through the fork tree to your desired location. Once you have routed everything and relocated the lights you can tie wrap the wires up again to clean things up. For the brake side I run the wire along the solid part of the brake line and tie wrap it with small ties. With the method that I use you can barely see the wiring. I will also be installing them soon on a 14 1200C I have here now and I don't see it being any different.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thank you much for the response Dane M and Cool Inferno.

I don't see it in the manual but I am sure it is a simple task....looking at the turn signal, the bolt sticking out from the turn signal housing does not appear to have any thread. There is a screw on the side that appears to be holding the bolt in place. Do you unscrew that side screw and the turn signal drops out or does it in fact have thread and you have to unscrew the turn signal itself thereby twisting the wires?

@Dane M - How did you reroute the wires. The wires run behind and under the headlight visor....did you remove the headlight too?

Thanks again...the info is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't see it in the manual but I am sure it is a simple task....looking at the turn signal, the bolt sticking out from the turn signal housing does not appear to have any thread. There is a screw on the side that appears to be holding the bolt in place. Do you unscrew that side screw and the turn signal drops out or does it in fact have thread and you have to unscrew the turn signal itself thereby twisting the wires?
There is an allen head set screw that secures the signal light stem to the housing. It's the one that you say is on the side of the housing. Once you loosen the signal light and remove it from the housing you will have another allen head socket at the end of the stem (round part). You can remove that also with an allen key. For some kits you wont need that part anymore.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 09-28-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:12 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
There is an allen head set screw that secures the signal light stem to the housing. It's the one that you say is on the side of the housing. Once you loosen the signal light and remove it from the housing you will have another allen head socket at the end of the stem (round part). You can remove that also with an allen key. For some kits you wont need that part anymore.
Thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you much for the response Dane M and Cool Inferno.

@Dane M - How did you reroute the wires. The wires run behind and under the headlight visor....did you remove the headlight too?
Oh yeah... umm I removed my headlight completely and changed it out to a side mount 7" headlight. Then I installed DK Customs headlight relocation brackets and placed the stock headlight on that so I have 2 headlights now.

Forgot about that. But the visor is easy enough to remove. Just 2 allen bolts. Be careful not to scratch the visor. If you need to remove the headlight FROM the visor, take a bit of t-shirt or something, wrap the tip of a flathead screwdriver and then pop it in the little slot on the disc on top of the visor. Leverage it out and it's pretty straight forward from there.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dane M
Oh yeah... umm I removed my headlight completely and changed it out to a side mount 7" headlight. Then I installed DK Customs headlight relocation brackets and placed the stock headlight on that so I have 2 headlights now.

Forgot about that. But the visor is easy enough to remove. Just 2 allen bolts. Be careful not to scratch the visor. If you need to remove the headlight FROM the visor, take a bit of t-shirt or something, wrap the tip of a flathead screwdriver and then pop it in the little slot on the disc on top of the visor. Leverage it out and it's pretty straight forward from there.
Thanks. Yeah I have DK Customs relocation kit and headlight. I placed the stock visor back on just to hide the wires in front of the fork.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:45 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Maybe a dumb question but like to know what I am doing when I start a project.

The bolt attached to the turn signal appears longer than the new relocation mount access holes can handle. Being the bolt has no thread, how is the turn signal installed in the new mount?

Quick Reply: Front Turn Signal Relocation Kit