Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 883 advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:26 PM
caroljean
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sportster 883 advice please!!

Hi there.. not a Harley owner but thinking along the lines of buying an 883 with ABS. I've never ridden a cruiser style bike before.. have owned a Honda CB400 Superfour and currently ride a Kawasaki Ninja 250R. I definitely have more years behind me than in front of me (57) and I quite like the thought of cruising around our beautiful roads in Cape Town, South Africa. I'm somewhat vertically challenged and weigh around 120 pounds. I would like to know if the 883 would be too heavy as it weighs quite a lot more than my current bike. Also, how does it manage in the wind. The countryside around where I live is notoriously windy. Does it come with a screen and if not is it possible to have one fitted? Has anyone gone from a sports style riding position to a cruiser position? I am concerned that I might not be able to manage the forward foot pegs. Sorry for so many questions but it is a huge decision for me to make!! I'm really not interested in a bigger bike than the 883.. it would be fine for road trips and freeway riding. Thanks in advance

Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. We own a SuperLow, which my wife rides most and we have adapted it as a touring bike. We have installed a genuine H-D windshield, plus forward footrests, also aftermarket saddlebags and she loves it. Being built low (the clue is in the name!) it is ideal for the shorter or more petite rider.

I've taken a look at the SA H-D website and you get several Sportster models, including the SuperLow, or XL883L. It has conventional footrests as standard, so you don't have to stretch out forwards. As for the wind, any bike will suffer to some degree, but I don't think you should be concerned about riding a Sporty.

Will it be too heavy? Difficult to say. Like all Harleys it is quite heavy, but carries that pretty low relative to more sporty bikes. The only way to find that out is by a test ride. Which models have you looked at?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. it not heavy, just heavier....only becomes an issue if your moving it around the garage, or drop it.

2. fine in the wind, no worse then any other bike

3. you can buy a windsheild

4. lots of people have

5. they dont all come with forward controls, most have mids. you can always change them.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:10 PM
caroljean
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the feedback I have looked at the new 750 but didn't like the brakes at all.. I have pretty much made up my mind that I would like to have ABS. I haven't sat on a Sportster, just seen quite a few of them around. I like smaller bikes and I think that they are the smallest of the cruiser type bikes. I will take a ride to the HD dealership and see if I can pluck up the courage to take one for a test ride - quite a nerve wracking thought for me - I know I'll feel like everyone's eyes are on me waiting for me to make a mistake!!!

Old 10-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think you are going to have people hanging around waiting to see if you are going to make a mistake. Most riders will be more happy seeing you do well, so get that part out of your mind. You are on the right track by test riding one first. Just think about how much you are going to enjoy the test ride.

My youngest daughter that is about 5'3" has been the only person to tell me that she felt the Sportster Low was heavy. Now she was a novice at the time and had been spoiled because she had ridden a 2012 Ninja 250 before. Those Ninjas are very light and easy to ride. I felt that she was able to handle the Sporty and that the weight issue was her lack of confidence.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 10-04-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Are you considering a new one, recent one, or several years old? Spend a little time browsing around in here, looking through posts and you will come across shots of other owners bikes, some highly customised, others that are closer to stock. The H-D website is also worth looking at, as they show all the models available at your local dealer, even if they don't have them all on show.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

If you set the bike up properly the 883 is simply the perfect power to weight machine HD makes. Its really only a heavy bike if you drop it which have once doing a U-turn in the driveway and grabbing the front brake many years ago. I put a touring seat, aftermarket shocks and custom handlebars. Windshields on Sportsters are pretty much horrible. They just are not big enough to offer you a comfortable ride. I have a Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing that is perfect. It allows your head/helmet to be in clean air and takes all the wind pressure off your torso. I'm a BIG man 6'1 250lbs and I'm not looking for a bigger bike than an 883. My ride is perfect. The only thing i might change if i had the chance was to make sure you get the 4.5gal gas tank especially if you enjoy longer rides between fuel stops. Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I have a Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing that is perfect.
Does this only come in black?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno

My youngest daughter that is about 5'3" has been the only person to tell me that she felt the Sportster Low was heavy. Now she was a novice at the time and had been spoiled because she had ridden a 2012 Ninja 250 before. Those Ninjas are very light and easy to ride. I felt that she was able to handle the Sporty and that the weight issue was her lack of confidence.
Did she ever get adjusted to the Sportster Low or any other heavier bike?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

I'm only 5'1 and lacking some confidence myself. It does feel heavy to me and I have concerns about the forward controls that everyone insists I will love once I get used to them, but I am not getting used to them and the reach is a concern. Can any other vertically challenged Sportster riders weigh-in on this?

Quick Reply: Sportster 883 advice please!!