Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil splotches??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Received 132 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I liken the Sportster motor to an old lawn tractor. I mean the V-twin is pretty much that just in bigger displacement. Spewing oil is somewhat normal for HD motors. I just use some degreaser a couple times a year and ride it like i stole it otherwise. My rocker boxes seep but not enough to make a drop on the garage floor and if i do nothing won't leak any worse in the future.

I just spray it with degreaser and rinse with water and its squeaky clean once or twice a summer. If anybody cared to actually look at the OP photo it is a DK air cleaner and breather bolts i have them on my bike. He also obviously did not have a full tank before he set out on his commute. For reference sake the standard peanut tank like i have is 3.3 gallons. The 2.1 on some models is not referred to as a peanut tank. To me its more like a water bottle ..
Yep I didn't have a full tank. And I did idle it few times during the week since my battery seems to be having issues. I think mine is 3.3 gal tank.. When that light came on I was going 60mph and it was sputtering like it was on fumes.. So that's why I filled up. Next time I'll see if I can go 50 miles.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:54 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
He has the screened external breather system. They are a little hard to see in the pics.
I have Outlaw 587 with external screened breather bolts and don't have oil spitting out of them. Don't even have any evidence of oil on the parts outside of the breather bolts. So it could be just overfilling oil and perhaps the issue will subside over time.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:50 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I get 50 mpg consistently on my 883, pretty much however I ride.

John

Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I have Outlaw 587 with external screened breather bolts and don't have oil spitting out of them. Don't even have any evidence of oil on the parts outside of the breather bolts. So it could be just overfilling oil and perhaps the issue will subside over time.
Every Sportster motor spews small amounts of oil through breather bolts to include yours. It's by design. Its a crankcase vent after all . I'd prefer mine to not be injected into the carb/intake which is an EPA thing. I have the DK 587 and mine does expel oil mist. And its normal..Over filling will just increase the quantity. I doubt there is any HD motor that doesn't consume some amount of oil internally or externally.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Every Sportster motor spews small amounts of oil through breather bolts to include yours. It's by design. Its a crankcase vent after all . I'd prefer mine to not be injected into the carb/intake which is an EPA thing. I have the DK 587 and mine does expel oil mist. And its normal..Over filling will just increase the quantity. I doubt there is any HD motor that doesn't consume some amount of oil internally or externally.
Yeah maybe I just don't see it and I would know if it is on my chrome...LOL. Maybe it is hitting the back of my AC cover. Probably should take off the cover every once in a while to clean it.

Last edited by hscic; 10-07-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Yeah maybe I just don't see it and I would know if it is on my chrome...LOL. Maybe it is hitting the back of my AC cover. Probably should take off the cover every once in a while to clean it.

Wildon883R is correct-

A small amount of blow-by is normal. It is NOT normal to have so much that oil is dripping or spraying the side of your bike. Even if you ride really hard for long periods at 100 degrees, the most there should be is a very light film, not enough to run or drip.

hscic is also correct in not seeing anything, because the bobber cover is catching the little bit of mist that is being expelled.

I like to distinguish between a mist, which is only noticeable as dirt collects on it (which is normal) and spitting which is visible drops that end up on the side of the bike, and are visible, even with no dirt collecting.

If it is spitting, spewing, puking, something is wrong, see link I posted earlier in this thread.

When all is functioning as it should, then there will be some misting that mostly is seen on the backplate of the 587.

Some folks don't even like to have to deal with the misting, and in those situations, using a hose and filter external breather is the way to go.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-14-2015, 01:16 AM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Received 132 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Wildon883R is correct-

A small amount of blow-by is normal. It is NOT normal to have so much that oil is dripping or spraying the side of your bike. Even if you ride really hard for long periods at 100 degrees, the most there should be is a very light film, not enough to run or drip.

hscic is also correct in not seeing anything, because the bobber cover is catching the little bit of mist that is being expelled.

I like to distinguish between a mist, which is only noticeable as dirt collects on it (which is normal) and spitting which is visible drops that end up on the side of the bike, and are visible, even with no dirt collecting.

If it is spitting, spewing, puking, something is wrong, see link I posted earlier in this thread.

When all is functioning as it should, then there will be some misting that mostly is seen on the backplate of the 587.

Some folks don't even like to have to deal with the misting, and in those situations, using a hose and filter external breather is the way to go.
Ok so while I was riding home today I was stuck in pretty bad traffic. Saw some white smoke (very light and feint) coming near the A/C. Wiped my hand on the back plate and had some dark oil on it. Checked out that thread and checked for correct oil level (good to go). Bike WAS hot as I was in traffic baking. Can you shoot me a pm when you can? Got some specific questions.