Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil splotches??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:02 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Received 132 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Oil splotches??

I think I read about this somewhere but can't seem to search for it..

Went for a 30 min ride for the first time (yay) and boy I underestimated that peanut tank.. 30 miles and lights come on?? my work is 15 miles in stop and go traffic so I'll have to fill up daily?? Lol

Anyway. Came back and saw some liquid (possibly oil) on the parts near the A/C. I know it's new cuz I shined everything before the ride. Does Sportsters spray oil from the A/C?

Attached Thumbnails Oil splotches??-photo982.jpg   Oil splotches??-photo52.jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Oil from your breather bolts. You will get oil coming out from there because your breather bolts vent right at the head. I don't care for that design because of that same problem.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:15 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
Oil from your breather bolts. You will get oil coming out from there because your breather bolts vent right at the head. I don't care for that design because of that same problem.
Thanks! Thought I messed something up installing those and somehow got an oil leak. Guess I'll just have to clean more... Should went with all black lol

Old 10-04-2015, 03:28 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

That is bad mileage...you should be able to get at least 30-40 miles per gallon. Perhaps something is up with your fuel sensor? My 6 cylinder car gets 22-24 mpg...lol

What parts is the oil coming from....the breather bolts? If so, perhaps it is doing its job in not going back into your intake/carb. Did you seat the A/C properly?

Just stuff to consider in your assessment.

Last edited by hscic; 10-04-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

You should just change the bolts because not only are you going to continue getting oil on the bike, you are going to ruin lots of pants also. Check with DK Custom, they should have something that would help. A little less oil will also help keep the oil from spitting out through the breathers.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Originally Posted by hscic
What parts is the oil coming from....the breather bolts? If so, perhaps it is doing its job in not going back into your intake/carb. Did you seat the A/C properly?
He has the screened external breather system. They are a little hard to see in the pics.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Originally Posted by hscic
That is bad mileage...you should be able to get at least 30-40 miles per gallon. Perhaps something is up with your fuel sensor? My 6 cylinder car gets 22-24 mpg...lol

Just stuff to consider in your assessment.

Just things to consider.
Lol I know! I keep a log in my app on my phone and it only took 1.36 gal. So I guess the sensor is little off. Now i know light comes on with about 1.5 gal remaining.

I thought I set it in properly. Gaskets and everything.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
You should just change the bolts because not only are you going to continue getting oil on the bike, you are going to ruin lots of pants also. Check with DK Custom, they should have something that would help. A little less oil will also help keep the oil from spitting out through the breathers.
I'll hit up DK. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I liken the Sportster motor to an old lawn tractor. I mean the V-twin is pretty much that just in bigger displacement. Spewing oil is somewhat normal for HD motors. I just use some degreaser a couple times a year and ride it like i stole it otherwise. My rocker boxes seep but not enough to make a drop on the garage floor and if i do nothing won't leak any worse in the future.

I just spray it with degreaser and rinse with water and its squeaky clean once or twice a summer. If anybody cared to actually look at the OP photo it is a DK air cleaner and breather bolts i have them on my bike. He also obviously did not have a full tank before he set out on his commute. For reference sake the standard peanut tank like i have is 3.3 gallons. The 2.1 on some models is not referred to as a peanut tank. To me its more like a water bottle ..

Old 10-04-2015, 04:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by ylwf3vr
I think I read about this somewhere but can't seem to search for it..

Went for a 30 min ride for the first time (yay) and boy I underestimated that peanut tank.. 30 miles and lights come on?? my work is 15 miles in stop and go traffic so I'll have to fill up daily?? Lol

Anyway. Came back and saw some liquid (possibly oil) on the parts near the A/C. I know it's new cuz I shined everything before the ride. Does Sportsters spray oil from the A/C?

Here is a really useful thread for you to read.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...f-my-bike.html

btw, it is NOT normal for properly installed Breather Bolts to spit oil. There are thousands of HD's with them installed that run hard and don't drip or spit oil.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Oil splotches??