Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these exhaust gaskets ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:47 AM
crotchrocket
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hscic
Looks like a flat ring gasket...are the gaskets in my pics above the same as how you installed yours?
Yes mine looks exactly the same! just eased mine in with a bit of spit......will take a pic on the weekend.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well just got back from a road test and fingers crossed all ok! The exhaust port gaskets went in pretty easy, I put a bit of liquid soap on them and worked them in slowly tapping the last bit in with handle of small modelling hammer. Don't worry about buying a tool for the retaining rings as they slide over the pipe easy enough(was expecting a few swear words! Lol).
I've actually stripped my exhausts down as had a broken baffle kit and just fitted some 158 tti,s from dk customs and gotta say they seem spot on! Reduced the loudness a bit and improved torque (on the butt dino)
Anyway good luck with your install and defo save your money on that tool.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:32 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

@harleyglen - I have my entire exhaust system intact so unable to slide the retaining ring from the other end of the head pipe. How did you "slide over the pipe"?

Also used TTI W158 on my 2.5 slip-ons and they worked well...deepened sound and provided better low-mid range torque. I subsequently bought a different set of slip-ons and a PV with autotune so did not need the TTIs anymore. In fact I still have the 118 and 258 in my supply box that I used to play around with the sizes. Will install the 258s if I decide later that I want to quiet down my pipes. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by hscic; 10-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:11 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The retaining rings slip over the exhaust (engine end) so will be fine if your exhaust is all intact, I just held pipe between legs and pushed the ring with both thumbs and they literally ping/stretch over the pipe ends, then will slide down into groove of the fixing bracket, make sure you remove old ones first. Hope this makes sense and it really is that easy. Good luck

Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, I will try it before I leave for work. Did not seem that it would stretch by hand over the pipe. I took off the old ones using the snap tool but since it was corroded I was able gripped the ends and open the retaining ring to slip it off.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyglen
The retaining rings slip over the exhaust (engine end) so will be fine if your exhaust is all intact, I just held pipe between legs and pushed the ring with both thumbs and they literally ping/stretch over the pipe ends, then will slide down into groove of the fixing bracket, make sure you remove old ones first. Hope this makes sense and it really is that easy. Good luck
Thanks for the tip. Tried it and it worked.....it slid over the pipe. Thanks for saving me a few bucks on the tool. Appreciate the help. I love this forum!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Sootylad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nooooo!!!

So taking the advice from you guys, didn't want to use the generic ones that I posted in the first post - I went to a local Harley parts dealer and he sold me some that he recommended (Looked very similar to the SE ones).

Anyway, not wanting to leave my exhaust in a potential bad state after not changing the gaskets, I took it all apart again and replaced the gaskets to try and do it all "properly".

Now the rear one is pissing out smoke

Should have just left it alone, bloody things!

(On an exhaust-based side note... I read that you should tighten the clamps that hold the muffler to the headpipes to 60 ft/lb - Is this right??? I got to about 20 and daren't go any further!)

Last edited by Sootylad; 10-08-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Sootylad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh one more question... Is my bike supposed to have some circle clips in between the flange and the head port? Don't recall seeing one!?

Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

@sootylad - don't think is ft lbs, should be in lbs. I think its 96-120 in lbs (8-10 ft lbs) or 60-80 in lbs depending on your year and model....but definitely not 60 ft lbs. I read somewhere that the manual for the 2014 reads 60-80 ft lbs but that is wrong. You probably already smashed your gasket at 20 ft lbs and you couldn't go anymore. If no one else responds, I will check my manual when I get home from work but if I recall mine was 96 - 120 in lbs.

The pipe has a retaining ring that seats in the flange. The side of the flange facing the cylinder head should have a groove for the retaining ring.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

2011 Harley Davidson Sportster Service Manual 4-43 says "Tighten four nuts at cylinder head exhaust studs to 96-120 in-lbs (10.9-13.6 Nm)"

Quick Reply: Are these exhaust gaskets ok?