Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on shock length

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Need opinions on shock length

I recently got a pretty nice raise at work and decided its time to finally get better suspension to avoid the peg scraping. I have a 2014 Iron and I know it has 11" shocks and they hurt over bumps. I am 5'7" and have high pipes so I cant keep my right leg very tight to the bike. I have an inseam of about 29" and where I am at is to get the most spring length without going too high and not being able to touch both feet at intersections because I rarely ride in boots. Has anybody around my height had experience with 13" shocks? I really enjoy the look of 13" shocks but I worry they will just be too long and I actually need 12. And nobody around me has a similar bike so I cant just sit on others to gauge it.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 PM
james4b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pondering 13" shocks on my 48 as well. My Bobcat exhaust scrapes way too easily when leaning over. I put my motorcycle jack under the rear frame, lifted it 2" and sat on the bike to get a feel for it. You must also take your weight into consideration for rear sag while your seated.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

You could get the 13" shocks that you like and install 1" lowering blocks.
http://dkcustomproducts.com/1-Loweri...-SPT05UP-B.htm

Last edited by hscic; 10-09-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

My (UK Spec) Iron has 13" shocks n it as standard and I changed them to 13" RK shocks. For me the stance is just right and keeps the exhausts in line with the road, if you see what I mean, and looks just right. I've still dragged the pipes once or twice so wouldn't want the bike any lower tbh.

Only pics I have to hand is with the bike on the side stand. I can take some later with the bike upright at balance point if you want.

upload images free

Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 AM
sawka
Tourer

Originally Posted by hscic
You could get the 13" shocks that you like and install 1" lowering blocks.
http://dkcustomproducts.com/1-Loweri...-SPT05UP-B.htm
Ideas like this are why i came here. Ill look into these. But i see what you mean about the 13's looking just right and i cant tell of they put the 11 on the US model so women are less intimidated or some market research said the US liked that look more. I will be at a large bike event tomorrow and hopefully i will find a similar bike that has longer shocks on it i could sit on.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 AM
sawka
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
My (UK Spec) Iron has 13" shocks n it as standard and I changed them to 13" RK shocks. For me the stance is just right and keeps the exhausts in line with the road, if you see what I mean, and looks just right. I've still dragged the pipes once or twice so wouldn't want the bike any lower tbh.
I have also been thinking about the roadking shocks and i realized i knew nothing about them? Did you have to modify anything or they just slipped on? Are they more of a comfort deal or do you notice more playfulness in the bike? I never knew if people put these on because there was some great performance benfit to those shocks or the air shocks just made the ride smoother.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just put 12" Progressive 444's on my Iron and it only raised it a little bit but the ride is fantastic now.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sawka
I have also been thinking about the roadking shocks and i realized i knew nothing about them? Did you have to modify anything or they just slipped on? Are they more of a comfort deal or do you notice more playfulness in the bike? I never knew if people put these on because there was some great performance benfit to those shocks or the air shocks just made the ride smoother.
They fit straight on with only the addition of 8 washers as spacers (2 on each bolt). They have much better damping characteristics and I find my bike holds its line round corners much better with these on. The standard shocks used to bounce me off line.

I got some great advice from the guys on here when I asked in this thread. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-question.html

Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by sawka
Ideas like this are why i came here. Ill look into these. But i see what you mean about the 13's looking just right and i cant tell of they put the 11 on the US model so women are less intimidated or some market research said the US liked that look more. I will be at a large bike event tomorrow and hopefully i will find a similar bike that has longer shocks on it i could sit on.
My 2011 Low XL1200L had 11.5" stock shocks. I am vertically challenged so I had to lower both my seat and the shocks in order to plant both feet on the ground. I am using Burly 10.5" slammer shocks and Mustang Tripper Fastback 2-up seat. I do not go on long trips and I like the slammed look so my set-up is fine to me.
Not sure what kind of seat you have but changing the seat also can change the height and/or comfort. That being said, if comfort is an issue, you can also use longer lowering blocks (i.e. 1.75") and install a more comfortable seat...or if height is still an issue, changing the seat can also lower you a little more but you will sacrifice some comfort.
Just another thought to consider.

Last edited by hscic; 10-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 AM
sawka
Tourer

Originally Posted by hscic
My 2011 Low XL1200L had 11.5" stock shocks. I am vertically challenged so I had to lower both my seat and the shocks in order to plant both feet on the ground. I am using Burly 10.5" slammer shocks and Mustang Tripper Fastback 2-up seat. I do not go on long trips and I like the slammed look so my set-up is fine to me.
Not sure what kind of seat you have but changing the seat also can change the height and/or comfort. That being said, if comfort is an issue, you can also use longer lowering blocks (i.e. 1.75") and install a more comfortable seat...or if height is still an issue, changing the seat can also lower you a little more but you will sacrifice some comfort.
Just another thought to consider.
I got the biltwell seat because it is nice and thin and that got me closer to the ground for sure and i still have my youth so my butt hurting isnt a huge deal. At 11 inches i am perfectly comfortable at intersections and now i just want to go as high as possible before i cant get both feet on the ground.
As bogie mentioned i will probably end up with the 12" progressives but i was just wondering how high i could go because on the angle 1 inch of spring length isnt exactly 1 inch of seat height.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on shock length