Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i really hate to do this.... LEDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
The annoying part is yahoos putting plug n play hid bulbs into halogen reflector housings. Why this is annoying is cause a halogen bulb has a single filament in a certain spot to reflect light. An hid bulb has an arc with 2 intense spots & it's not in the same spot as the halogen bulb designed for the housing. So you get light dispersed all over the place & in reality it has less useable light where you need it. And it glares like crazy in other drivers eyes. A true hid lamp has a reflector bowl with a cut-off shield then a lense. This cut-off is why it doesn't bother other drivers cause it keeps the light low but it has a farther throw. And true bi-xenon projectors move the cut-off shield for high beams when needed. I did hid retrofits on both my jeeps which involves opening the housing & fitting true bi-xenon hid projectors inside the halogen housing. Greatest mod to my jeeps I've done. True hid projectors have superior useable light on the road.

Now these led bulbs will glare to other drivers like the PnP hid bulbs do in halogen housings. And the $25 eBay bulbs are the same as DK products bulbs probably. Companies like DK charge more then eBay because they will give you a better warranty then eBay sellers usually.

so... let them be blinded... they will not say they didn't see me. i just don't care. i'm the one on the bike. i'm all i care about when i'm on two wheels, they are all trying to kill me.

loud pipes and annoying lights save lives.

people will say both are not true, those people can kiss my . get on a quiet, dim bike and then get on a loud bright bike. gauge the difference in traffic around you for yourself.

did the same to my jeep like you mentioned. didn't care about the whole cut off/reflector bucket nonsense there either.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...rness-2915849/

it's okay for you to feel a certain way about lights, but please don't get on a soap box about it. it just causes problems.

dk imports the lights for 20 and sells them for 60, which is fine considering the time you must wait for the lights to come from china (about 3 weeks) vs the 1 to two days it takes for a dk m3h led to appear at your door.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-28-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure I want to blind someone that's driving 2+ tons of vehicle that's coming towards me!!!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Not sure I want to blind someone that's driving 2+ tons of vehicle that's coming towards me!!!
Indeed! That's why headlamps come with high and low beams.....

Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

not likely. people just blow this subject out of proportion. it's usually a polarized/polarizing subject.

blood gets shed... brothers kill brothers, babies go out with bath water.... miserable, it is.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-28-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

With regards to the UK's beam pattern requirements, how do these LED bulbs work out?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

With regards to the UK's beam pattern requirements, how do these LED bulbs work out?
There are several ways of resolving that, as stock H-D reflectors aren't very good IMHO. You should already have a suitable reflector, so can simply use any suitable aftermarket bulb. You can upgrade to a UK/EU standard reflector, which will probably give you an improved beam shape and use an aftermarket bulb. Finally the best performance will come from a dedicated LED headlamp unit, although I'm not sure there is a suitable one available for Sporties. Trucklite now make a 7" RHD one suitable for touring bikes and they are available on UK Ebay

Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Indeed! That's why headlamps come with high and low beams.....

Good point but here is no visible difference when we use LED H4 drop ins from dim to bright. I've never been flashed with the DK H4 LED that i leave on high beam always.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

It is safe to say that most LED drop-in bulbs come from China. Ours do. But there are huge variations in quality and, of course, honoring of the warranty, should the need arise.

We've tested dozens of light...there is a difference.

The DK Custom LED drop in works well with the HD bucket/reflector. I have over 8k miles riding at dusk and night time and have never been flashed high beams by an on coming car.

To get an even better pattern, the Visor Style Headlight we have, has better reflectors in it and works well with the DK LED drop in...even the halogen that comes with the Visor Headlight is a big step up from the stock light.

To remain absolutely DOT compliant and get a good beam, we have the VisionX bulb that works in the stock bucket and the visor bucket.

We have done a great amount of research into lighting, including trying to break them. What we offer is the best combination of price, reliability, ease of install, and most importantly, lighting up the road well without blinding oncoming traffic.

LED Drop-in headlight bulb LINK

Visor Style Headlight LINK

Visionx Bulb LINK

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-29-2015, 06:20 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Good point but here is no visible difference when we use LED H4 drop ins from dim to bright. I've never been flashed with the DK H4 LED that i leave on high beam always.
same here. and i think we go ours around the same time. like i said, people blow this way out off proportion.

@DK: post your comparison pictures please

and could you also post pictures of the dyna tank lift equipment? not pictures of bikes with lift, but the equipment used.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Interesting. In the UK our annual inspection requires your headlight to display a distinct beam pattern. Not sure hwo the LED will work out fo rthat but I'm so intrigued i've ordered a cheap one (£9 delivered) to test it.

Looking at DKs pictures it seems the LED gives more local flooded light than standard? I'd be more intersted in a good spread of light right in font of me so I can spot the damn pot holes my roads seem to be littered with. If it does this without searching for aircraft then i'll get a decent LED even if I have to swap them out for the annual test.

Quick Reply: i really hate to do this.... LEDS