Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i really hate to do this.... LEDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM
jp49
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
Default i really hate to do this.... LEDS

i know it has been hashed around a bit... but i do have a hard time getting search to do what i want...

i would like some LED options everything on my sportster is LED
except the headlight... using the search function i have found these
is the inexpensive Ebay one ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright...mtr&rmvSB=true

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-2112160...ment-bulb.html

http://www.socalmotogear.com/Product...ductCode=H4F3%

i assume these would work in my 99 1200c?
and also what the heck is a HID?
sorry for beating a dead horse

Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Here is another options to make your choice harder...lol
http://dkcustomproducts.com/Premium-...-H4-HL-LED.htm

I am running the LED from socalmotogear which is a excellent product. I would have gotten the LED from DK, but I bought my LED before DK started carried LEDs. Since LEDs last a long time, dont think I will be replacing anytime soon.

btw - on the socalmotogear website, the comparison pics is the before and after pic of the stock headlight on my bike. I subsequently changed out my headlight but using the same LED bulb.

Last edited by hscic; 10-27-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

HID is 'high intensity discharge'. It was the first technology that gave some high-end cars those intensely bright and annoying headlamps a few years ago. They use a converter that changes the DC voltage of our vehicles to a much higher voltage AC, which is used to create an intense spark to provide the source of light. I had one for a while on my Glide, but to be frank I suggest avoiding them. Some of the latest LED lights and high performance conventional bulbs are almost as good. IMHO HID works best in lights designed for them - one of our cars has them and they are awesome - not something I can say of the aftermarket one in my Glide!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:15 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

i have the dk led h4 $60($20 M3H) in my sporty and wide glide.... custom dynamics everywhere else

Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM
jp49
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

i am really wondering if their is a difference between the $20 units and the $60 units.... the pictures and descriptions are identical. i have a feeling they may all come off the same line somewhere in china.... DK has to get them froms somewhere as well as moto and socalmoto... and the guy on amazon that has them for $20!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

You probably should avoid using an LED "bulb" in the stock housing-after all, the LED just makes photons, it's the reflector that makes the actual beam. Stick with an LED lamp assembly, they'll be a few more bucks but you'll have a legal, robust installation. Try

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ca...es/headlights/

Speaker is the OEM manufacturer for the MoCo, and you can get the same lamp for way less $$ and a much better guarantee.

All of my Harleys are all LED. Go LED, you'll love seeing and being seen!

Last edited by shorelasHD; 10-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by jweeds
i am really wondering if their is a difference between the $20 units and the $60 units.... the pictures and descriptions are identical. i have a feeling they may all come off the same line somewhere in china.... DK has to get them froms somewhere as well as moto and socalmoto... and the guy on amazon that has them for $20!
they do, that's why i put the real price behind what i paid. someone pointed it out in the softail forums: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...n-my-slim.html

the light is very good with the jwspeaker(who supplies HD) leds are great.... but sealed. i'm just not a fan of sealed lamps. i like to be able to replace a failed h4 at walmart or a gas station. your call

Last edited by cvaria; 10-27-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jweeds
It may well be that they all buy from the same Chinese manufacturer, but that doesn't mean they all buy the same quality product, which may be why the prices are so different.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
HID is 'high intensity discharge'. It was the first technology that gave some high-end cars those intensely bright and annoying headlamps a few years ago. They use a converter that changes the DC voltage of our vehicles to a much higher voltage AC, which is used to create an intense spark to provide the source of light. I had one for a while on my Glide, but to be frank I suggest avoiding them. Some of the latest LED lights and high performance conventional bulbs are almost as good. IMHO HID works best in lights designed for them - one of our cars has them and they are awesome - not something I can say of the aftermarket one in my Glide!
The annoying part is yahoos putting plug n play hid bulbs into halogen reflector housings. Why this is annoying is cause a halogen bulb has a single filament in a certain spot to reflect light. An hid bulb has an arc with 2 intense spots & it's not in the same spot as the halogen bulb designed for the housing. So you get light dispersed all over the place & in reality it has less useable light where you need it. And it glares like crazy in other drivers eyes. A true hid lamp has a reflector bowl with a cut-off shield then a lense. This cut-off is why it doesn't bother other drivers cause it keeps the light low but it has a farther throw. And true bi-xenon projectors move the cut-off shield for high beams when needed. I did hid retrofits on both my jeeps which involves opening the housing & fitting true bi-xenon hid projectors inside the halogen housing. Greatest mod to my jeeps I've done. True hid projectors have superior useable light on the road.

Now these led bulbs will glare to other drivers like the PnP hid bulbs do in halogen housings. And the $25 eBay bulbs are the same as DK products bulbs probably. Companies like DK charge more then eBay because they will give you a better warranty then eBay sellers usually.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the DK H4 LED and the only thing i like about it is how much more visible i am to other motorists. From a driving after dark perspective the incandescent bulbs are brighter and you can see further off the sides of the road which is important in critter country. Since i don't ride much in the dark the DK LED is the best choice from a safety perspective.

I also have Custom Dynamics Moon Shinez in the front turns and red LEDis in the rear turns with clear covers . I also installed the LED rear tail light and that think will turn my entire back yard red when applied as well as illuminate the passenger compartments of cages at stop lights. That assembly is incredible

Quick Reply: i really hate to do this.... LEDS