Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Dyna tank on 2015 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM
CoronaZombie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Dyna tank on 2015 Sportster

I love my Sportster 72 and the steal of a deal I got on it. Would have preferred a Dyna, but couldn't afford it. My one complaint on my 72 is the same as most, the gas tank capacity. I didn't like the idea of switching tanks and having to paint something in the Blue Hard Candy that I have, but they have a 2016 Dyna with the same color and some cool looking flames. If I can get one of those on my 72, I'd be super happy. Is this possible?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:35 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by CoronaZombie
I love my Sportster 72 and the steal of a deal I got on it. Would have preferred a Dyna, but couldn't afford it. My one complaint on my 72 is the same as most, the gas tank capacity. I didn't like the idea of switching tanks and having to paint something in the Blue Hard Candy that I have, but they have a 2016 Dyna with the same color and some cool looking flames. If I can get one of those on my 72, I'd be super happy. Is this possible?
it will bolt right on. you'll need to run crossover hose a little longer.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:37 PM
CoronaZombie
Advanced

Cool. Now, I'm no mechanic. I look at an engine and it breaks. I just drive lol, but I'm assuming by your response, that this means that any motorcycle mechanic should be able to do this fairly easy if i can get my hands on a tank?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:48 PM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts

I would love to see an EFI Dyna tank on a 72. If you get this done please post some pics. I swapped a 3.3 from an Iron on my 72 and it was easy, probably took less than an hour in the driveway from start to finish. Good luck

Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Which Dyna model does the tank you like come on? I can see the Wide Glide has flames, but that also has tank-mounted instruments. Take a deep breath - a new bare WG tank in primer is listed at $763 - rather more with a factory paint job!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:32 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

that's a good point. the dyna tanks have the instruments on the tank. but now i'm curious if anyone has done it. I have to do a little searching around...seems a bit expensive to do though

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The fuel pumps inside the tanks are not the same, although the Dyna one may be compatible with the Sporty. It could be a challenge to transfer your current pump etc from your 72 tank to the WG. An alternative to consider is buying a similar looking aftermarket tank, intended for an EFI Sporty, and getting it painted in the same style as your current tank. Neither way is going to be cheap as custom paintwork, factory or local, ain't cheap when done well!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:24 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't checked any specs yet on the dyna since I don't have one, but just thinking out loud, I would think some aftermarket company must make an identical dyna tank without the instrument setup, still keeping the sportster controls, but then the question would be will it fit the sportster with a few mods done? handlebars ect? either way you'd still have to paint it. i'm glad this isn't my idea, I did enough annoying expensive things to my bike lol

Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 AM
CoronaZombie
Advanced

It's the 2016 Dyna Street Bob that comes in the HCC Cancun Blue. Same as my 72.

See, I'm trying to do two things:

1 - Bigger tank
2 - Avoiding having to paint the damn thing to match that color

I was hoping at some point in the future, I may get lucky and get a tank from an owner of that Dyna in that color, so I wouldn't have to paint it. Just swap mine out.
I'm sure thats just a fantasy. Maybe the answer is to just go with a different tank and have to paint it.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

the instruments on the dyna tank are just in the removable console. no big deal. the fuel pump is a legit concern. would need to check the conections. or you could just get a XL custom tank flamed out all flamboyant like and save yourself the headache.

the dynas went efi before the sportys so the should be quite a few options for tanks that didn't do clusters/consoles. research time. i'm 99% sure there is a write up out there.

Quick Reply: 2016 Dyna tank on 2015 Sportster