Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 sportster iron cafe/tracker project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 AM
CatEyeDallas
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killer work man!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CatEyeDallas
Killer work man!
thanks brother, I appreciate that!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeLaPlaya
great bike ... you are pretty handy at building everything .. well done ...
thanks for the positive feedback. I tried posting this thread on caferacer.net and got bashed on pretty hard. bunch of pompous sissies over there.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
When I was going down that route I went with Road King air shocks. I got some great advice, including shock part numbers in this thread; https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-question.html
thanks for the advice, your bike looks great. how do the shocks feel? I ride really hard and jam the twisty roads constantly. I just dont want mush, but i figure if they are setup for the weight of the bagger bikes it should be plenty stiff for my application. I already have springs installed in the front, just need to get the back end up a couple of inches.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:44 PM
kguittar12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, those guys on the "other" forum are incredibly negative. they probably all have fedoras and a movember mustache.

Let a guy build what he wants and add constructive criticism, you don't tell a person to just sell their bike and get something else. They promote "built not bought" but then tell you it would be worth your time and money to just buy something else.

keep up the good work, I would never judge a person's talent or ideas without seeing the finished product.

Last edited by kguittar12; 11-06-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: edited for syntax
Old 11-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lukecrabwalker
thanks for the advice, your bike looks great. how do the shocks feel? I ride really hard and jam the twisty roads constantly. I just dont want mush, but i figure if they are setup for the weight of the bagger bikes it should be plenty stiff for my application. I already have springs installed in the front, just need to get the back end up a couple of inches.
I think they are great. Okay they are no Ohlins but are a massive, massive improvement over the stockers. Plus you can ad a few PSi to firm them up if you want to, but it is said that as they are for a heavier bike they are quite firm anyway and possibly too firm for lighter riders?

For me they look right as they mimic the front forks with the black casings and gaiters. They just look right or even OEM.

Dunno what the other forum is, but I fail to see why they would criticise your bike? Great job man and respect for your fabrication skills.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 PM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
I think they are great. Okay they are no Ohlins but are a massive, massive improvement over the stockers. Plus you can ad a few PSi to firm them up if you want to, but it is said that as they are for a heavier bike they are quite firm anyway and possibly too firm for lighter riders?

For me they look right as they mimic the front forks with the black casings and gaiters. They just look right or even OEM.

Dunno what the other forum is, but I fail to see why they would criticise your bike? Great job man and respect for your fabrication skills.
thanks brother, i appreciate all the support. I mean, it is a project, so yeah things are going to change and it will look worse before it looks better. but that is just the nature of the beast. this aint my first rodeo, so good things to come. I appreciate everyone. I can handle constructive criticism, but blatant bashing on solid work is uncalled for.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:02 PM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate

sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I have been really busy with work and all but I am making progress. however the build has changed directions. going for a bobber. but not going for any less work. I built some riserless bars, friscoed the tank, built a rear fender by widening the front, made a new seat pan. i moved the rear shock mounts back to lower the back and not lose what little suspension action the bike has. this bike will still be ridden hard and will still handle and stop. I also traded my mag wheels for some chrome spokes with a 21'' front wheel. no pictures of the new wheels yet. maybe when i get home if it aint dark. for sure tomorrow, but for now here are some to hold you over. tell me what yall think.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:03 PM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate
Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 PM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate

still have a long way to go but im hoping to weld and smooth the rear fender out completely, and weld the exhaust out completely tomorrow morning. should be making a good parts order in a couple days and hopefully we can see some real progress. I also have to make a rear fender mount/short sissy bar, plus about 144,987 other things

Quick Reply: 2014 sportster iron cafe/tracker project