Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting Exhaust - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
Your just crazy. Cause those are the same pipes that each sporty has.
Need to get back on my meds..or stop drinking...

Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for the Meds & drinking! To many bad side effects if not taking together!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by barrachuck
I have a 2015 Forty-Eight - and the pipes looks what is on the 883R - Yours looks bigger and the ends are different....or am I just crazy?

Yep, those are the same. You can cut them off right before they start tapering smaller, and they will look like the video above of the silver 48.

Or you can cut them a bit after they start tapering smaller like in the video below.

Take a listen around the 1:50 second mark. I know guys that have spent thousands to get their bikes to sound like that...and they still don't sound that good (if you like that sound).

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-22-2015, 09:00 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

For those that want a little quieter, mellower sound out of the stock pipes, but still have all the power increase of using the TTI's.

We took a stock set, cut off the ends like seen in the above videos, then there is a fiberglass matting that is glued to the shell of the slip-on, still leaving a straight thru hole for the exhaust, then the TTI.

The result is an across the RPM band power increase, but a much mellower/deeper sound. The fiber glass is not impeding the flow of the gasses or energy pulse, but it is absorbing the higher notes in the exhaust sound.

We will have a video next week on Youtube of it.
I'm still waiting for this.

Checking my set when I removed the cat, it burnt off the packing within a day.

Will enjoy hearing the set that was modded by you so I can test it out on another set of stockers I have reserved for mods

Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 AM
413of1900
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

"* slightly used prostitute with several stds (full)"
How much do you want for this item?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
I'm still waiting for this.

Checking my set when I removed the cat, it burnt off the packing within a day.

Will enjoy hearing the set that was modded by you so I can test it out on another set of stockers I have reserved for mods

Take a listen to this...we've done this with the TG and Street Glide...touring models, but same principle will work on any bike. Key is, if you don't have the fiberglass matt in your stock exhaust, (like is in the Touring stock exhausts) then you would need to get some. It really takes the edge off, sound-wise, but does not negatively impact power, anywhere in the RPM band.

We have a couple thousand miles on two different bike running like this...have not seen any deterioration in the matting yet.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey what keeps the packing in?

On the sporty, when I removed the cat using your technique of cutting it out tapered end (2014 sportster wit catalytic inside muffs), the entire packing came out with it, I pushed it back in with the baffle, and within a day, it burnt off.

If didnt fly out, cause I welded the tapered end back to keep the stock look with restrictor plate in place. The fiberglass actually burnt into tiny small bits and disintegrated.

Would be interested to know what's keeping the fiberglass in place in this video.

Could you do a guide on a 2014 sportster pipe?

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Take a listen to this...we've done this with the TG and Street Glide...touring models, but same principle will work on any bike. Key is, if you don't have the fiberglass matt in your stock exhaust, (like is in the Touring stock exhausts) then you would need to get some. It really takes the edge off, sound-wise, but does not negatively impact power, anywhere in the RPM band.

We have a couple thousand miles on two different bike running like this...have not seen any deterioration in the matting yet.

DK Custom Modifying Stock Exhaust on Harley for Sound, Power & Looks - YouTube