Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Torque Inserts vs. Lollipops

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts
Default Thunder Torque Inserts vs. Lollipops

I responded to a post titled (W158 TTIs into Vance and Hines short shots) I stated in the post that I made my own lollipops. Kevin form DK Customs responded in the post and asked me to try out his W158 TTIs vs. my homemade lollipops and post the results in the forum.

The bike I used was a 2000 Sportster 1200XLH. Stage 1 with Vance and Hines Short Shots.
The jets are 45 low 185 main and a fine tuned fuel/air mixture screw with a setting that is secret even to me. Only defect I have found is that when I go through the first few gears the front tire always wants to come off the road.

The first thing I found was the bolt on the TTIs did not fit the hole size where my baffles were bolted originally. Fortunately the metal is very soft on the Vance and Hines pipes so I drilled the hole larger with a visegrip and a drill bit without removing my pipes.

The W158 Thunder Torque inserts were larger than my lollipops but they fit perfectly. Upon starting my bike I noticed a big difference in sound. The tone was deeper and a lot quieter than I am used to.

When I first installed my short shots they came with the standard baffles that I ran for a while before I removed them. I ran without baffles for a short period and found the decel popping to be extreme.
So I built and installed my lollipops and could not believe the difference in torque and sound. My bike came alive.

The torque increase between the TTIs and my home made lollipops seemed to be better with the TTIs but I did not have a dyno done to prove it.
The only negative thing about the TTIs vs. lollipops for me is the sound. I like more of a louder radical sound that I got from my lollipops but that’s just me. But if you want a deeper tone and a quieter sound DK Customs Thunder Torque inserts are the way to go.

Do the Thunder Torque Inserts increase torque ABSOLUTELY.
Do they have a deeper sound than homemade lollipops ABSOLUTELY.
Do they cause you to initiate excessive acceleration at rural intersections ABSOLUTELY.
Bill

My lollipops size vs the TTIs

Original baffles holes smaller than TTIs threaded bolt.

Thunder Torque Inserts installed.

Once chromed short shots now wrapped and painted with TTIs installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Madison Bill:
betho61 (01-08-2017), DK Custom (12-23-2016)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Bill

When I had those in I found my bike benefited from turning the TTI about 20 degrees as recommended bY DK. You may enjoy the sound more too?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 AM
prerender
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Hi Bill

When I had those in I found my bike benefited from turning the TTI about 20 degrees as recommended bY DK. You may enjoy the sound more too?
You mean turning it 20 degrees increased the torque or changed the sound only?

Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Bill,

Just saw your post from last month. Sorry I did not see it earlier.

Changing the angle of the TTI's you have will get you a bit louder...and to get a lot louder, using the W118's will get you there. You will have a sharper, louder sound (which is what you're wanting) and while it will not be quite as much torque as the W158's, it will still be more than the lollipops. Just give the shop a call.

Thank you very much for your review!

Prerender-

By adjusting the angle you will get a louder sound, and it will move the torque up the RPM band a little.

Check out the following dyno chart, which shows how adjusting the angle of the TTI's moves the torque curve on the RPM band.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
betho61 (01-08-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

Thanks for the reply Kevin....that post was a year ago but I think those TTIs are Awesome! If anyone ever wanted to upgrade the performance of their bike it is such a low cost improvement it makes you have to hold onto your bars to keep from sliding off your seat. I have ape hangers and forward controls and it's a battle. That's not a complaint. Now stop posting and work on that hardtail.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I can't to install mine now that I got my scoot running

Old 12-23-2016, 05:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Thanks for the reply Kevin....that post was a year ago but I think those TTIs are Awesome! If anyone ever wanted to upgrade the performance of their bike it is such a low cost improvement it makes you have to hold onto your bars to keep from sliding off your seat. I have ape hangers and forward controls and it's a battle. That's not a complaint. Now stop posting and work on that hardtail.
ROFLMAO....I thought it was from last month....it was from 13 months ago!

Crazy that I missed it all that time. Thanks again, and glad you're enjoying them.

I am fixing to post up an update on the hardtail right now.