Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase lean angle

Old 11-23-2015, 12:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
...This push/pull thing isn't anything we need to do consciously, it happens naturally....

When I first learned about it myself, as a new rider of just a few months, I went out on my bike and, hey presto, found I was already doing it!
First, I've had this conversation with more than one motor officer instructor, not some amateur. I'm 100% certain of my comments.

There's a HUGE difference between something happening naturally, or something happening subconsciously, compared to something happening on purpose. I guarantee, guarantee, if you're not a very experienced, very skilled rider, if you get into an "oh ****" moment, and your brain is screaming: "PUSH MORE", I guarantee you're going to be pushing at least a little bit, with both arms, because, when you're tense, the other arm won't give. It's pushing too. You're just not aware of it, because you're scared.

Of course you're already doing it. The other arm is on the grip, and it's not hanging there limply. That's not the same as being fully and consciously aware of the force you're exerting on the outside bar. And you won't be if you're scared.

When you realize, to your horror, that you're running wide in a turn, I guarantee that nothing will make as much difference, nothing will make you turn effortlessly tighter, than telling yourself: "PULL". I guarantee it.

And that can't happen if you're so tense that your muscles are all rigid.

1. Relax your core, your shoulders, your arms, your hands.
2. Lean forward and lean IN.
3. Push AND pull, BOTH ARMS.

Anyway, this isn't a battle, and I'm not here to win. I just wanted to help the OP understand that the best way to correct an apparently inadequate lean angle, unless you're already a MotoGP rider, is free. I see very, very few riders who are so skilled that they can outride the capabilities of their bike.
Ride safe. I'm out.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-23-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

why is there fighting and **ck measuring about how to steer? there's no correct way. do what works for you.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Dansel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
why is there fighting and **ck measuring about how to steer? there's no correct way. do what works for you.
Because we human beings have diverse personalities. Some people like to speak out what they think is right (for fun, to persuade others, out of ignorance, to enlighten, whatever the reason is), while some people don't.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dansel
Because we human beings have diverse personalities. Some people like to speak out what they think is right (for fun, to persuade others, out of ignorance, to enlighten, whatever the reason is), while some people don't.
thanks for stating the obvious. my point was, "stop the the f**kin* b****h*t". not add to it... sir

Last edited by cvaria; 11-25-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Dansel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

thanks for stating the obvious. my point was, "stop the the f**kin* b****h*t". not add to it... sir
Fully understood.
Let's hand over the topic to the OP.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=IdahoHacker;14599587]Try to pay attention before you shoot off your mouth.

Your signature says it all, but you really do need to "grow up". GRBrown is one of the more knowledgeable and well written contributors to this forum. Disagree with him if you must, but try doing so with a modicum of respect, he has earned it.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:47 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Try to pay attention before you shoot off your mouth...
Your signature says it all, but you really do need to "grow up". GRBrown is one of the more knowledgeable and well written contributors to this forum. Disagree with him if you must, but try doing so with a modicum of respect, he has earned it.

First, he failed to read my post, failed to understand what I actually said, and opened his response to me with the word "WRONG", in all uppercase. I fail to see "a modicum of respect" in that. At all. The respect thing goes both ways, ya know.

Second, that was over a week ago, and the rest of us have all moved on.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-04-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:13 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, he failed to read my post, failed to understand what I actually said, and opened his response to me with the word "WRONG", in all uppercase. I fail to see "a modicum of respect" in that. At all. The respect thing goes both ways, ya know.

Second, that was over a week ago, and the rest of us have all moved on.
I know, late to the party. Just sayin.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by the warden
I know, late to the party. Just sayin.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Try to pay attention before you shoot off your mouth.

I did NOT say that countersteering doesn't work. That's stupid. I said that you shouldn't try to do it with ONE ARM, which is the way it's most commonly taught: "Push right to go right, push left to go left".

I said you should always use both arms: to go right you push with your right arm and pull with your left, and vice versa.

Which is how everybody SHOULD do it.
I hate to disagree, but I have found that I 'push' or 'pull' with my right arm. My left arm is merely along for the ride. The end result is the same, the handlebar is turned ever so slightly and the scooter's weight gets pushed into the inside of the turn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increase lean angle