Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase lean angle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Djeango
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase lean angle

Hey guys,

I checked my iron 883 out today and discovered that at some point I leaned far enough to scrape the metal right peg off from under my mid mounted controls. I'm actually scraping the exhaust in some turns. I did a track day this summer and I guess it made me a bit too confident leaning my bike... Is there anything I can do to increase the amount of lean angle I can get out of my bike before I start scraping hard parts again? Either way, I'm thinking I'm riding too aggressively at this point...

Thanks in advance,

Jea

Old 11-22-2015, 08:39 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

First option is get a higher exhaust. Like the high pipes that run between your leg and the oil tank. Second option is to get longer shocks. I am a too short so I went the first route. If you get different suspension I doubt you'll miss the stock setup anyway. I just lean in till my pegs scrape then I back off a bit. But if you're short like me once you move the exhaust the first thing to touch on either side will always be the pegs so you won't be in too much danger when they drag.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Djeango
Advanced

That actually might be perfect for next year. I ride year round, but my summer upgrade is gonna be suspension, so... I'll raise her up! I'm 5'7". Not tall, but a few inches won't make me totally uncomfortable. Thanks

Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Yes, there is. You can make enormous improvement, that is, reducing, the lean angle by changing your torso position.

When you're about to enter the curve, relax your upper body, lean forward, and lean your torso INTO the curve. You want your body to lean MORE than the bike. You absolutely do not want your body to be above the bike, you want your body to be below or inside the bike. This will cause the bike to lean less, which is what you want, and you'll be much, much less likely to drag things.

A simple way to do this, explained to me by a motor cop, is to move your chin toward the inside rear view mirror, and always keep your chin level.

Here are two good/bad posture pics: The first is good, the second is bad.

GOOD:

BAD:

Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Djeango
Advanced

You know what's funny about your pic? You have sparks flying because you ride aggressively too! HA! Good stuff! I absolutely reposition my body to redistribute the bike's center of gravity, but as you know, it's not a sport bike. Which is good. There should be no knee dragging on public roads. I'm just gonna raise the bike up a bit, get whatever else I can get out of the bike, and enjoy my cruiser for what it is.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Oh, and another thing, do NOT try to countersteer a motorcycle by pushing on the inside handlebar. Why on earth would you try to turn a 600 pound, 700 pound, 800 pound, 900 pound motorcycle with ONE hand? That's crazy.

Always, and I mean always, use both arms. Relax, lean forward, lean in, and push with the inside arm and PULL with the outside arm.

You won't believe how much easier, smoother, and more controlled your turns will get.

Trust me. Try it. You'll become a believer.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Djeango
You know what's funny about your pic? You have sparks flying because you ride aggressively too! HA! Good stuff! I absolutely reposition my body to redistribute the bike's center of gravity, but as you know, it's not a sport bike. Which is good. There should be no knee dragging on public roads. I'm just gonna raise the bike up a bit, get whatever else I can get out of the bike, and enjoy my cruiser for what it is.
I agree 100%. I'm absolutely NOT advocating trying to turn a Harley cruiser into a sport bike. Which, surprisingly, is exactly what folks who tell you to change parts are trying to do.

I'm just giving you ways to enjoy riding your bike, without changing anything, except your understanding and your skill level.

Ride safe!

(Oh, that ain't me in those pics! )

Old 11-22-2015, 09:24 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree. Changing your suspension or exhaust is not an attempt at changing it to a sport bike.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by sawka
Yeah I'm going to have to disagree. Changing your suspension or exhaust is not an attempt at changing it to a sport bike.
Yeah, I know. I wuz pushin' back on the other guy.

Nothing wrong with making your bike perform, or handle, as good as you can get it to.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:18 PM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go with shorter, angled pegs before increasing ride height. Which reminds me, I need to remove my feeler pegs.

Quick Reply: Increase lean angle