Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new pegs with ground feelers, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:15 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with grbrown & kingxirol. I personally think there dorky looking item that reminds me of training wheels. Id rather use my heel as a feeler

Old 11-24-2015, 02:05 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Nubbins
Yeah I don't get the safety hazard some people claim either. I've ground mine pretty hard a many times to point that my bud says I was leaving a nice river of sparks behind me. And it never unsettled the bike or made me lose control. It is a bit loud & scares ya the 1st time you do it but after that it just lets ya know you getting all you can out of her.
Yeah I've even hit potholes, bumps and road debris with mine. It will startle you for a split second but if your pegs are adjusted correctly so they move back and up, there is no safety issue.

For me actually HAVING them is a positive safety thing. I have a tendency to get really aggressive when riding and it's a good indicator that I might be riding a bit too hard. It also is a good way to show how close your are to your maximum lean angle (if you know it). You can lean farther than that, but it's good to know and good for practice.

Originally Posted by hpotter
see if the post 4 in this thread can help to get rid of the feeler

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post14598070
I appreciate you trying to help. I ride every day, I study up and practice a lot in my spare time.

But... you can get rid of your feelers. I'll keep mine. Maybe you won't drag a peg, but I'm always testing my limits and trying new things so I will drag it... often. I don't feel like replacing an entire peg when it gets worn down, I'd rather screw a new feeler on. I also like knowing where my safety bubble for lean angle is.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that catching the rubber of a boot on the road is much more dangerous than a metal feeler which is designed to make contact with the road. If you don't agree, I don't think I'll be able to convince you otherwise.

Last edited by Dane M; 11-24-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dane M
EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that catching the rubber of a boot on the road is much more dangerous than a metal feeler which is designed to make contact with the road. If you don't agree, I don't think I'll be able to convince you otherwise.
I've only been riding for just shy of 50 years. Throughout most of that time the only things designed to have contact with the road are our tyres. Anything else touching down is an accident looking for an opportunity to happen, 'twas ever thus. 'Feelers' are a recent introduction. We must each of us make our own decisions on such things, but a third point of contact with the road is not a good idea IMHO!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Yeah I've even hit potholes, bumps and road debris with mine. It will startle you for a split second but if your pegs are adjusted correctly so they move back and up, there is no safety issue.

For me actually HAVING them is a positive safety thing. I have a tendency to get really aggressive when riding and it's a good indicator that I might be riding a bit too hard. It also is a good way to show how close your are to your maximum lean angle (if you know it). You can lean farther than that, but it's good to know and good for practice.

I appreciate you trying to help. I ride every day, I study up and practice a lot in my spare time.

But... you can get rid of your feelers. I'll keep mine. Maybe you won't drag a peg, but I'm always testing my limits and trying new things so I will drag it... often. I don't feel like replacing an entire peg when it gets worn down, I'd rather screw a new feeler on. I also like knowing where my safety bubble for lean angle is.

don't test your limits too far. theres a clear point on your tires were you ability to lean stops. if you want to keep "testing" i would suggest a CBR 500/600 or ninja... something in that range thatr has wheels and tires meant for this type of nonsense. your sportster is not a sport bike. i would hate for you to have to learn that via the school of hard knocks. there's a lot of clowns out there leaning 700lb+ bikes over.... do you realy want to be stuck under that, sliding across the road? i don't want that for you.

look at this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-on-here.html

it's cool until you find out that the guy wrecked his bike... and even he wasn't leaning the 'bike', he was hanging off the side to hold corners and not exceed the tread.

be safe man

Old 11-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Dane M
Road Master

I'm not sure how this changed from me wanting to find some new pegs, to everyone assuming I'm a bad rider and in desperate need of advice, but I will indulge some of you. Rider safety is very important to me, and I'm glad it is for many of you as well.

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've only been riding for just shy of 50 years. Throughout most of that time the only things designed to have contact with the road are our tyres. Anything else touching down is an accident looking for an opportunity to happen, 'twas ever thus. 'Feelers' are a recent introduction. We must each of us make our own decisions on such things, but a third point of contact with the road is not a good idea IMHO!
I understand where you are coming from but discounting something just because it is newer, and not the way it used to be.... that seems silly to me. That's like saying a phone wasn't originally designed to be mobile, so we shouldn't use cell phones. Sorry.

People drag their pipes, that's much more dangerous than a peg. Should they be dragging their pipes? No. My pipes dragged very easily, and because it was a safety hazard for me I cut the tips off of the heat shields.

A peg is designed to move out of the way when it makes contact so that there is no weight distributed on it.

Originally Posted by cvaria
don't test your limits too far. theres a clear point on your tires were you ability to lean stops. if you want to keep "testing" i would suggest a CBR 500/600 or ninja... something in that range thatr has wheels and tires meant for this type of nonsense. your sportster is not a sport bike. i would hate for you to have to learn that via the school of hard knocks. there's a lot of clowns out there leaning 700lb+ bikes over.... do you realy want to be stuck under that, sliding across the road? i don't want that for you.

look at this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-on-here.html

it's cool until you find out that the guy wrecked his bike... and even he wasn't leaning the 'bike', he was hanging off the side to hold corners and not exceed the tread.

be safe man
Yes of course to all these things. I'm not leaning like that I promise, I'm not a douchey idiot. I am riding with good technique, upright and looking through my turns. I don't want my knees anywhere near the pavement thank you very much. I've already had one knee repaired (not motorcycle related), I don't feel like having skin replaced as well.

I ride a sportster because I like the way it feels, I like the way it looks, and because if I were to ride a sport bike... I would most assuredly end up in a horrible accident. I know myself, I know how aggressive I can be, the sportster, because of it's limits, keeps me in check and keeps me safe. That doesn't mean I can't touch a peg once in a while though. I'm not doing 75 and dragging a peg. I'm on windy mountain roads in second or third gear.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that rider limits and bike limits are very different. Testing personal limits doesn't mean you are on the edge of your bikes limits. This is important to point out. My rider skills enable me to do so much, the bike may be able to do more, but it does not mean I can.

Last edited by Dane M; 11-24-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

I ride a sportster because I like the way it feels,
Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAD7...ature=youtu.be

Fair enough, be safe

Last edited by cvaria; 11-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

I'm not sure how this changed from me wanting to find some new pegs, to everyone assuming I'm a bad rider and in desperate need of advice, but I will indulge some of you. Rider safety is very important to me, and I'm glad it is for many of you as well.
People drag their pipes, that's much more dangerous than a peg. Should they be dragging their pipes? No. My pipes dragged very easily, and because it was a safety hazard for me I cut the tips off of the heat shields.

A peg is designed to move out of the way when it makes contact so that there is no weight distributed on it.

Yes of course to all these things. I'm not leaning like that I promise, I'm not a douchey idiot. I am riding with good technique, upright and looking through my turns. I don't want my knees anywhere near the pavement thank you very much. I've already had one knee repaired (not motorcycle related), I don't feel like having skin replaced as well.

I ride a sportster because I like the way it feels, I like the way it looks, and because if I were to ride a sport bike... I would most assuredly end up in a horrible accident. I know myself, I know how aggressive I can be, the sportster, because of it's limits, keeps me in check and keeps me safe. That doesn't mean I can't touch a peg once in a while though. I'm not doing 75 and dragging a peg. I'm on windy mountain roads in second or third gear.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that rider limits and bike limits are very different. Testing personal limits doesn't mean you are on the edge of your bikes limits. This is important to point out. My rider skills enable me to do so much, the bike may be able to do more, but it does not mean I can.
I think you and I ride pretty similar. I ride with Sports bikes 90% of the time and went on a ride two weekends ago with some Ducati riders when I picked these up.

Both of them from VERY aggressive right turns at around 70mph. The closer one is almost on the side of the exhaust if you notice. So I think I get what you are saying about riding aggressively. That said, I am also finding the limitations of my bike (it's no sports bike by any means) but I will tell you this, this bike can do more than I am skilled to. Also I couldn't lean it so far to the right if I had the feelers.

I will also tell you this, this past weekend I did a 225 miles ride to mountains with 3 sports bike riders and understood why they are also called organ donors. NC-181 going up the mountain turns into a track like road for a few miles and those guys were doing buck and a quarter normally and almost 90 on turns. I ride aggressively on those twisties but decided to fall back doing my own pace as I knew I could never do (nor I wanted to riding a cruiser) what they were doing. The point of this post is, do what you feel comfortable with. If peg-feelers make you feel safer, more power to you. I was dragging my pegs so bad it was making me uncomfortable. Swapped them with Kuryakyn mini-floor boards and it took care of the problem.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:49 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by kingxirol
I think you and I ride pretty similar. I ride with Sports bikes 90% of the time and went on a ride two weekends ago with some Ducati riders when I picked these up.

Both of them from VERY aggressive right turns at around 70mph. The closer one is almost on the side of the exhaust if you notice. So I think I get what you are saying about riding aggressively. That said, I am also finding the limitations of my bike (it's no sports bike by any means) but I will tell you this, this bike can do more than I am skilled to. Also I couldn't lean it so far to the right if I had the feelers.

I will also tell you this, this past weekend I did a 225 miles ride to mountains with 3 sports bike riders and understood why they are also called organ donors. NC-181 going up the mountain turns into a track like road for a few miles and those guys were doing buck and a quarter normally and almost 90 on turns. I ride aggressively on those twisties but decided to fall back doing my own pace as I knew I could never do (nor I wanted to riding a cruiser) what they were doing. The point of this post is, do what you feel comfortable with. If peg-feelers make you feel safer, more power to you. I was dragging my pegs so bad it was making me uncomfortable. Swapped them with Kuryakyn mini-floor boards and it took care of the problem.
your radials a better for aggressive riding

Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I ride pretty hard in the twisties and I really grind down my peg feelers. My current pegs are just getting worn out so I'm hoping to upgrade to a nicer peg. More durable or comfortable, both preferred. Currently using stock iron pegs.

Having a hard time finding any pegs that have a ground feeler on them. I'd like ones in black too.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you want a more comfortable peg, look at our selection of Trap Style Peg HERE.

It is difficult to know how much more comfortable it is to have a mini-floorboard, and one that your feet don't slip on, until you ride with them.

For riding hard in the twistys, the best ones are the Canyon Carvers, the Slip-Stream or the Trap Moto pegs. These three are all good for increasing lean angle before scraping, and if they do scrape, nothing it going to get hung up, or lever your rear tire off the road.

Give em a try, you'll probably never go back to a conventional peg again.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom
If you want a more comfortable peg, look at our selection of Trap Style Peg HERE.

It is difficult to know how much more comfortable it is to have a mini-floorboard, and one that your feet don't slip on, until you ride with them.

For riding hard in the twistys, the best ones are the Canyon Carvers, the Slip-Stream or the Trap Moto pegs. These three are all good for increasing lean angle before scraping, and if they do scrape, nothing it going to get hung up, or lever your rear tire off the road.

Give em a try, you'll probably never go back to a conventional peg again.
Thanks Kevin. I move my feet around quite a bit on the pegs, rotate forward, backwards, point my toe out, etc. I was always that kid that couldn't sit still. This is why I like pegs vs floorboards in general. Do you feel like with minis like those that your foot loses the ability to wiggle around? I've never had issue with my feet slipping.

Quick Reply: Need new pegs with ground feelers, suggestions?