Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new pegs with ground feelers, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dane M
I understand where you are coming from but discounting something just because it is newer, and not the way it used to be.... that seems silly to me. That's like saying a phone wasn't originally designed to be mobile, so we shouldn't use cell phones. Sorry.
What is 'new' is that only in relatively modern times have bikes changed in design so that other parts of them are likely to come into contact with the road. Adding something like those spikes is yet something else! Despite the fact that sports bikes can now lean over even further than ever, thanks largely to better tyres and suspension, the relatively new 'custom' bikes have reduced cornering ability, thanks in part to spikes.....

When I was younger there was a technical debate at just how far over a bike could lean in a corner and the consensus at the time was to a max of 45 degrees. Current MotoGP bikes are leaning over to around 60 degrees from the vertical. Our favourite brand of bikes are reversing that trend, instead of benefitting from it! We have poor quality suspension, which alone is a safety hazard, plus reduced cornering ability.

Our Harleys are not getting safer but, arguably, less safe, certainly relative to many other brands. There's nothing silly in pointing put such things.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Dont see how they make anything less safe. After lowering ALL sportsters Harley came up with these feelers to make it more safe. Their only purpose is to alert the rider that he doesnt have much further to go before hard mounted parts will start to scrape. It was a cover their *** solution by Harley to help with ever DECREASING sporty lean angles. Hell Harley baggers have more lean angle than sportys now

Old 11-25-2015, 05:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Thanks Kevin. I move my feet around quite a bit on the pegs, rotate forward, backwards, point my toe out, etc. I was always that kid that couldn't sit still. This is why I like pegs vs floorboards in general. Do you feel like with minis like those that your foot loses the ability to wiggle around? I've never had issue with my feet slipping.
Having a peg like the Canyon Carver or Slip Stream is all about having Many More available foot positions than a conventional peg.

Not only is the surface area larger, but, Unlike a standard floorboard, or peg, Being able to move your feet around on a solid platform, And change the angle of the platform while riding gives much more freedom in foot positions.

Yeah, if they had ADD when I was in school, they prolly would have had me on all kinds of drugs or special programs. lol These don't inhibit ability to move the feet around, they give more options to move the feet around.

It's a whole other world. Now, when I occasionally ride a bike with round pegs, can't believe I did that for decades.

By slipping, I was meaning when hitting a bump hard, or sometimes in slick-rainy situations, the round pegs don't give quite the same grip.

btw, I like to lean over also...don't have any pics of riding and scraping on the Sporty, but you might like these on the Softail...

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Having a peg like the Canyon Carver or Slip Stream is all about having Many More available foot positions than a conventional peg.

Not only is the surface area larger, but, Unlike a standard floorboard, or peg, Being able to move your feet around on a solid platform, And change the angle of the platform while riding gives much more freedom in foot positions.

Yeah, if they had ADD when I was in school, they prolly would have had me on all kinds of drugs or special programs. lol These don't inhibit ability to move the feet around, they give more options to move the feet around.

It's a whole other world. Now, when I occasionally ride a bike with round pegs, can't believe I did that for decades.

By slipping, I was meaning when hitting a bump hard, or sometimes in slick-rainy situations, the round pegs don't give quite the same grip.

DK Custom Foot Pegs - YouTube

btw, I like to lean over also...don't have any pics of riding and scraping on the Sporty, but you might like these on the Softail...
Thanks for the info. I'll hopefully make a decision soon.

By the way, we don't know what rain is around here.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been riding nearly 40 years and i can't ever remember my pegs hitting the ground on any bike i've ridden be it dirt or street. I'd have to be able to touch my knee to the ground to do that and well not on a cruiser no thank you I don't ride lowered bikes and my R model has like a 32 lean angle if i remember right. Good Luck.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:43 AM
JimmyL
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, at risk of being flamed, I'm with Wildon883R. Why make it easier to drag the pegs by lowering a bike ? Leaning is the thrill for me. Different strokes ...

Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Well, at risk of being flamed, I'm with Wildon883R. Why make it easier to drag the pegs by lowering a bike ? Leaning is the thrill for me. Different strokes ...
My sporty is only slightly higher clearance than the stock EU variant. The EU irons come with 13" instead of 11" shocks. I put 13" progressives on mine, so I figured I wouldn't be causing myself any trouble. And it's way more fun to ride with the higher clearance.

EDIT: for clarity

Last edited by Dane M; 11-29-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

My sporty is only slightly higher clearance than the stock EU variant. The EU irons come with 13" shocks, which is what I have on my bike now, so I figured I wouldn't be causing myself any trouble. And it's way more fun to ride.

4 free sets... stop the madness

Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
4 free sets... stop the madness
I sent you a PM a few days ago. I think... at least I tried to.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:38 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I sent you a PM a few days ago. I think... at least I tried to.
replied

Quick Reply: Need new pegs with ground feelers, suggestions?