Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new pegs with ground feelers, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Dane,

Designed by the MOCO to alert the rider that they're coming close to scraping parts, or worse yet, a low side, the feeler pegs are in no way shape or form dangerous. I have not heard of one documented case of these pegs causing damage, getting stuck in the road surface, manhole covers, or grates. If they were in fact proven dangerous, I'm sure the MOCO would have removed them long ago from their stock bikes due to liability issues, but alas, there they are, still standard equipment, and where incidentally, they remain on my '09 Iron.

The fact is, that whether you have feelers on your foot pegs or not, if they make contact with the road surface, they're going to tilt as if you were folding them up for storage. So what's the big deal? The end surface footprint of a standard peg vs. the much smaller surface footprint of the feeler peg making contact with the road surface is what, a more dangerous occurance? Poppycock.

You came here and asked for information about feeler pegs...not to get an education about how feeler pegs are for pussies. Well I say run whatever you want or feel comfortable with, because Lord knows all those here giving you the education do whatever they want and couldn't care less what you had to say...

Unfortunately, there aren't many options for you out there other than stock replacements, sportbike or metric offerings, or having yourself or someone perform custom fabrication on aftermarket pegs. I did however come across this interesting image, where some ***** had feeler pegs on his 2002 Suzuki LS650 (hardened steel no less, to add a shower of sparks to those following behind him in the twisties. He specifically noted how when making road contact that the pegs rotated safely up out of the way), imagine that:

Some other instances:

As you can see, they're out there but you'll have to search the 'net, not for Sportster pegs, but moreso for metrics, then compare specs to see if if you could use them or if they'd be easily or readily modifiable to use on your bike. If not, you have some food for thought. Notice also that the feelers themselves are available in different shapes/styles as seperate entities and replacements, such as those offered by Kuryakyn and JPCycles, etc.:

Best wishes in your quest, and I hope you find a viable solution

=8^)

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM
lukecrabwalker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so....why do you want to have those? i ground mine all the way off in the first couple weeks. (i used to race and ride sport bikes) . so i just took them off. still drag peg when i ride real hard, but then i know im basically completely out of tire. so its good for me like that

Old 12-03-2015, 05:41 PM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Those legs all look like they have dicks on them.. Just sayin