Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&e fp3

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default V&e fp3

Hello All,

Looking to start the upgrades on my 2015 Forty Eight.

Because the bike runs lean from the factory, adding a stage 1 air kit will just add to the problem. So, Im thinking about buying a tuner first then filter and pipes.

Question. Whats the best tuner? Im not a certified mechanic, more of a shade tree mechanic. Would prefer something that is more plug and play, and do not want to waste my money. Need more bang for the buck. Ive been looking at the V&H FP3 - but seen several people having issues with staying connected by Bluetooth - and other having issues with the bike not running well. Some of that I assume is due to not knowing what youre doing. Maybe Im wrong. Is the FP3 the best choice?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

What's your budget for a tuner? You can spend from $125 to $500+.
Very happy with my Fuel Moto Micro EFI for $199, and I am a certified airline wrench.
There are better products out there (I'm told), they cost more $$$$.
Buy the best you can either afford or what makes the best sense to you. I can afford more then the FM Micro, but I have many expensive hobby's. The FM Micro is a very cost effective tuner and WAAAYYYY better then the XIEDs.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:24 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

power vision if you want a flash tuner. or take your pick of a piggy back tuner.(cobro fi2000) in the long run the powervison will be the best. chances are you will get another tuner if you go the cheap route. i have a croba powerpro i got it used for $190 if it craps out on me im going straight to a power vision.

I ran my 2013 48 with a open a/c and open exhuast with just a harley stage 1 download tune (I use the word tune extremely lightly) for the last 3 years.. did not have any problems the tuner i have now does feel better? or i just think it does. Being in cali we really cant do anything to our bikes. Nothing is CA illegal only a select few tuners.

Last edited by drinktothat421; 12-28-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Another selling point for the FM Micro, it can store three separate maps.
You can have one for stock pipes & A/C, another for aftermarket pipes & stock A/C, and a third for aftermarket pipes and free flowing A/C.
A twist of a dial once the maps are downloaded is all it takes. Downloads takes just a few minutes.
FM gives free unlimited map support. Use it for awhile until you get all your other parts. If you decide to upgrade to a different tuner later,sell the FM for $125-$140.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:15 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

fuel moto is a great choice for sure.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I literally just installed the fp3 a few minutes ago. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. I have a stage 1 AC and V&H big radius 2 into 2 pipes.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default Fp3 ... no

Power vision is the best choice. Fp3 is is a glorified piggyback module. Don't play games, get the real deal. This topic comes up every three days. Everyone says power vision and the people that ask about options go buy cheap fp3 and other half measures trying to save money... why even ask if your are going to go cheapo?

used on BOTH my bikes with PERMANENT results... no need to keep it on the bike at all times.... unless i want to.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-appeared.html

The fp3 and other piggies are the cheap way out. Power vision is the business. If you cant afford 429, Say so. But if you can, spend the money. You will not regret it.
  • More features,
  • actual flashing,
  • all features offered by fp3 (without stupid smart phone dependance) and cheaper piggies,
  • Can be used on multiple bikes with permanent (stock can be restored) changes,
  • Update-able,
  • can be used on a wider variety of bikes,
  • desktop/laptop metrics and map tweaking,
  • so much more...

Seriously, don't buy a fp3. Spend the extra 100 bucks and get the real deal. You will not be sorry.

I know you are just going to go cheap anyway.... don't know why I'm wasting my time. ...

Last edited by cvaria; 12-29-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:50 AM
HBRHMR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Power vision is the best choice. Fp3 is is a glorified piggyback module. Don't play games, get the real deal. This topic comes up every three days. Everyone says power vision and the people that ask about options go buy cheap fp3 and other half measures trying to save money... why even ask if your are going to go cheapo?
He asked for plug and play and then said he had limited mechanical/technical abilities to accomplish this mod.

Based on your question, the FP3 is a very solid way to go. I used one for my wife's bike because she doesn't care about squeezing out max power. I literally had her bike tuned in under 5 minutes. If you bought a '15 Forty-Eight you probably know your way around a smartphone. I never had issues with Bluetooth on my iPhone.

If you want max power, my recommendation would be not to pick the hardware...but to find the right PERSON to do the tuning and let them use their tuning hardware of choice. Or you can sit in the garage with a laptop and try and do it yourself...but I'd rather be out riding.

Remember...

There's a much higher potential to screw things up with "more features and map-tweaking." If you want to plug it in, start her up, and go for a ride...get a FP3.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

HBR said it well. Great tune, easy to use, and bam...you are riding.

The FP3 and Fuel Moto Micro work great if you are sticking with a stage 1. Both have great support and easy to use. Even mild cams are fine. Neither need to be left connected to the bike. Never heard of someone ditching them after buying unless they moved on to a more extreme build. Most forum member reviews are glowing. The problems like the ones you've heard usually got solved with tech support (FM and V&H have great customer service) or a different map. In a few cases other components like the AC or pipes where not installed correctly causing air leaks. Easy to fix once figured out, easy to avoid if you take your time installing or have dealer do it. None of those relate to the tuner. For me the FP3 working with an iPhone (android also) is a big selling point.
It also has an auto tune feature that tweaks the map more closely to your bikes specific performance. Kind of a budget Dyno.

PV and TTS Mastertune are great tuners, but way more than most bikes need unless you are doing serious work to the motor.

Better than a PV or a TTS is a good Dyno tune by a skilled tech. Then you are getting the most precise set-up for your bikes exact compression and tolerances since they vary from the factory. The penalty here is you have to have it done again if you change anything vs just flashing a new map. But as stated, The Fp3 or FM micro work well for most bikes.

Last edited by Thingfish; 12-29-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by HBRHMR
He asked for plug and play and then said he had limited mechanical/technical abilities to accomplish this mod.

...rest of the Coddling/fear-mongering bs you said... w/spiderman
i hate bullsh**. stop fear mongering and talking out of school

there's nothing complicated here. if op can't connect a single cable to the diagnostic port (like he would for the fp3) then he has some major problems to contend with. fp3 is a cheap, lazy, and short-sighted option. if you are advocating it, you are... cheap, lazy, and short-sighted... logically. this may offend, but it's honest. truth hurts

the pv system saves your original tune right away. you can't mess it up unless you want to.

if this is hard, then we really need to address the education system:

Last edited by cvaria; 12-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: V&e fp3