Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the EPA require Motorcycle Companies to have breathers routed to intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:01 PM
kyle76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the EPA require Motorcycle Companies to have breathers routed to intake?

My first bike was a V Star 650, which still uses dual carbs. It came stock with an insane amount of extra mystery parts that I eventually discovered were all for EPA compliance.

I was wondering if the whole crankcase breather routed to the air cleaner for the intake is required by the EPA.

I got a 2013 Sportster. The previous owner put a Harley Davidson Brand Stage 1 air cleaner on it. I'm surprised that this upgraded setup still routes the breathers into the air intake.

I saw that Dark Kustoms has bolts that have tiny breather filters built in. I thought, why the hell wouldn't Harley Davidson just use something like this? Especially for an upgraded air cleaner. I'm thinking the EPA must have a mandate that says the manufacturers can't sell anything unless the breathers are routed back into the intake.

The only other explanation I can think of is having a separate breather filter could spew carbon and oil on the side of the engine and make it dirtier.

Last edited by kyle76; 12-31-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:42 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Yes EPA requires them and HD now only sells EPA compliant upgrade parts (exhaust & intake).
Best to go aftermarket and install one of the many systems available to route the blow by away from the intake.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I went with Hammer performance and highly recommend it.

http://www.1250kits.com/xlaircleaners.shtml#airhammerxl

Old 12-31-2015, 02:43 PM
kyle76
Advanced

Originally Posted by hexnut
I went with Hammer performance and highly recommend it.

http://www.1250kits.com/xlaircleaners.shtml#airhammerxl

Those look really nice. Dark Kustoms has two different round ones I really like.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle76
My first bike was a V Star 650, which still uses dual carbs. It came stock with an insane amount of extra mystery parts that I eventually discovered were all for EPA compliance.

I was wondering if the whole crankcase breather routed to the air cleaner for the intake is required by the EPA.

I got a 2013 Sportster. The previous owner put a Harley Davidson Brand Stage 1 air cleaner on it. I'm surprised that this upgraded setup still routes the breathers into the air intake.

I saw that Dark Kustoms has bolts that have tiny breather filters built in. I thought, why the hell wouldn't Harley Davidson just use something like this? Especially for an upgraded air cleaner. I'm thinking the EPA must have a mandate that says the manufacturers can't sell anything unless the breathers are routed back into the intake.

The only other explanation I can think of is having a separate breather filter could spew carbon and oil on the side of the engine and make it dirtier.
Yes, as HOTLAP said, it is an EPA mandate.

We have an entire line of Performance Air Cleaners (Outlaw 425, 587, 636v and V-Stacks) that do NOT route the hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into the air cleaner. They all have a variety of External Breather Systems (EBS) that do NOT put oil on the side of the bike.

You can check them out HERE.

When you go to the link above you can see how much better it is for your engine longevity, and how much better it will perform with only clean, oxygen rich air going into the air cleaner.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Barthel75
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the brass bolts with the little filters in it that came with my outlaw ac from dk. Should I use the discrete filter kit or the bolts just as good

Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 PM
kyle76
Advanced

I've been on your website many times over the past few weeks. The 587 with the chrome bobber cover is my top favorite of any air cleaner. Just trying to pace myself right now and spread out ordering all the stuff I want.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yes, as HOTLAP said, it is an EPA mandate.

We have an entire line of Performance Air Cleaners (Outlaw 425, 587, 636v and V-Stacks) that do NOT route the hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into the air cleaner. They all have a variety of External Breather Systems (EBS) that do NOT put oil on the side of the bike.

You can check them out HERE.

When you go to the link above you can see how much better it is for your engine longevity, and how much better it will perform with only clean, oxygen rich air going into the air cleaner.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Barthel75
I have the brass bolts with the little filters in it that came with my outlaw ac from dk. Should I use the discrete filter kit or the bolts just as good
The Breather Bolts work just as well performance wise.

Some Sportster spit a bit more oil than others, and for those the discrete hose & filter style will keep the oil off the side of the bike.

Lots more info on EBS kits at this LINK.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The EPA mandate applies to all vehicles, not just bikes. It's only a problem if you let it bother you. My '90 Glide owned from new, now with S&S engine, is still happy with a breather feeding into the air filter, 25 years and many mods later.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:36 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I use a home made catch can and filter unit that works as it's supposed to at keeping; oil/water and hot air from contaminating the air fuel mixture going into my intake/ combustion chamber.
You really don't want that **** in there.
What DK Customs provides is as effective as anything you can make or find out there. And most economical. I looked around.

Quick Reply: Does the EPA require Motorcycle Companies to have breathers routed to intake?