Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork oil questions/ seal tapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default Fork oil questions/ seal tapping (solved)

What fork oil are we using, getting ready to swap the lowers on both my bikes to dual disk supporting ones. i'll need new oil during reassembly.
  1. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...c-sliders.html
  2. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14744526

what are you all using to tap in your seals?

found:

and

all info helps

-----
this one seemed like the poor guy hadn't thought it through and just dug in. a lot of info here though:

Last edited by cvaria; 04-28-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I changed to the HD heavy oil when I changed, once I got the levels right it feels great. I don't know how type E would feel vs it.

To tap the seals in, I used a piece of pvc pipe and tapped it with a rubber mallet. I forget the size. 1 3/4? (not 2")

Make sure you sand the edges of the pvc pipe so its nice and round, and can't cut the seal at all. You can put a round cap on the end of the pvc pipe to help with tapping it in, or one of those with the flat square tops.

I was about to link you that guys three videos that you quoted. He has some helpful info in there, it's for a dyna with thicker fork tubes and sliders, but it's all the same really.

Make sure you loosen those bottom screws before taking the tubes out of the pinch bolts or take the caps off or you will have a bitch of a time.

Last edited by Dane M; 01-30-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dane M

Make sure you loosen those bottom screws before taking the tubes out of the pinch bolts or take the caps off or you will have a bitch of a time.
yeah that's what i meant by "he didn't think it through". i would have loosened the top and bottom bolts before removing the forks. i kept thinking that while i was watching him talk about the troubles he had with the bolts.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
yeah that's what i meant by "he didn't think it through". i would have loosened the top and bottom bolts before removing the forks. i kept thinking that while i was watching him talk about the troubles he had with the bolts.
Yeah he would have been better off sliding them back into the triple trees, tightening them down, popping the springs in and caps back on so he could get the bottom screws out. You can open the caps even with bike weight on them, just can't do both at the same time.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dane M
I changed to the HD heavy oil when I changed, once I got the levels right it feels great. I don't know how type E would feel vs it.

To tap the seals in, I used a piece of pvc pipe and tapped it with a rubber mallet. I forget the size. 1 3/4? (not 2")

Make sure you sand the edges of the pvc pipe so its nice and round, and can't cut the seal at all. You can put a round cap on the end of the pvc pipe to help with tapping it in, or one of those with the flat square tops.

I was about to link you that guys three videos that you quoted. He has some helpful info in there, it's for a dyna with thicker fork tubes and sliders, but it's all the same really.

more forum dividends...

39mm... 1 1/2"

49mm... 2"

Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Sorry posted in the wrong place.

Last edited by hscic; 04-28-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 PM
hsr
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used Amsoil Shock Therapy light (but also have Burly Slammers) and think the ride is perfect. The heavier oil would probably be great on stock springs.

BTW, I followed this guy's three part videos when I did mine:

Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM
hsr
Cruiser

Oops. Didn't see you already had his vids in your first post. Lol

Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hsr
Oops. Didn't see you already had his vids in your first post. Lol
lol, that poor guy. he just dug right in and got stuck with the damper screw. learned that lesson on the my donor fat bob 49mm fork tear down.

Who did your paint? i like it.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM
hsr
Cruiser

Yeah, I broke mine loose before loosing them at the trees.

Thank you! I did the paint myself. Can see it here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/powde...l#post15055513 and continued on the next page.

I sent you a PM on another subject. Not meaning to hi-jack.

Quick Reply: Fork oil questions/ seal tapping