Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to my Iron

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mods to my Iron

I picked up a 2011 Iron late last summer and rode it as it was until the first salt went down on the roads here. Now that we are locked into another Canadian winter my mods have begun. Nothing major yet just making it mine.

The bike (Canadian Iron with the huge rear fender).

The first thing I had to do was get rid of the plastic crap under the tank. I started with a wire tuck (much thanks to so many posts on this forum for the helpful ideas and insights).

I had ordered a 1.5" tank lift and figured it would be difficult to get all the wires up under there but no problem first try. But as I looked at the whole thing it seemed quite high. I pulled it off and looked at the lift brackets and realized what I had was in fact a 2" lift I decided to make my own brackets.

These were some sort of reinforcement brackets I found at my local HW store. I don't have a drill press and didn't want to drive to my little bro's place (45+ min. away) to use his so I found these babies with the holes 1.5" apart and just drilled them out a bit with my hand drill. After that just a bit of grinding.

Some paint.

I needed to relocate the coil but wanted to keep the ignition where it is. I'm right handed and don't understand why so many people move the ignition to the opposite side under their butt- to each their own though. This meant mods (hacking) up the old ignition bracket- worked great by the way.

Coil relocation worked no problem (here you can see the old 2" lift brackets).

I also decided to go in a different direction with the front light and get rid of the cowl but those pics don't seem to want to load. I relocated the speedo.

Pretty much all of it so far.

I have to install these bad boys later!

Will keep you updated. Also some bonus pics from this fall of my bike and my bro's rather beautiful 1979 Ironhead.

Last edited by Blacks; 02-07-2016 at 02:53 PM.