Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Light on Speedo after installing LED headlight bulb.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:07 PM
MANDO-MAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Light on Speedo after installing LED headlight bulb.

Just installed a LED light assembly on my wife's 2015 Iron 883. I had to cut and splice the headlight harness to get the light and fan to fit in the bucket. Anyways, after riding for a short period of time a "red light" next to the speedo lit up and has stayed on. Also after downshifting to 1st gear the digital display reflects 5,4,3,2,1. I'm a little lost as to how to troubleshoot this. I made sure the wires were connected with bullet connectors and nothing is grounding out. Could this be a fuse issue? Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by MANDO-MAN
Just installed a LED light assembly on my wife's 2015 Iron 883. I had to cut and splice the headlight harness to get the light and fan to fit in the bucket. Anyways, after riding for a short period of time a "red light" next to the speedo lit up and has stayed on. Also after downshifting to 1st gear the digital display reflects 5,4,3,2,1. I'm a little lost as to how to troubleshoot this. I made sure the wires were connected with bullet connectors and nothing is grounding out. Could this be a fuse issue? Any feedback would be great. Thanks
canbus does not like what you did. my dyna does that with the dk h4 on high beam. you can clear the code but the light will return the minute you turn the bike back on. it's telling you that it's pissed. see your MOM

why did you cut the harness?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I would ask the same question...why cut the harness.? I placed LEDs with built in fan in my stock bucket and it fit....it was tight but it fit.

I only use posi-lock and posi-tap when connecting or tapping wires...never had a failure.

Which LEDs do you have? What color wires did you connect i.e. LED side to bike side? My LED is Blue = high, white = low, green = ground and the bike side is white = high, yellow = low, black = ground.

Do you also have an alarm?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I think you can have it reprogrammed to recognise the LED. That's Harley's way of telling you there's a bulb out.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 AM
MANDO-MAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I would ask the same question...why cut the harness.? I placed LEDs with built in fan in my stock bucket and it fit....it was tight but it fit.

I only use posi-lock and posi-tap when connecting or tapping wires...never had a failure.

Which LEDs do you have? What color wires did you connect i.e. LED side to bike side? My LED is Blue = high, white = low, green = ground and the bike side is white = high, yellow = low, black = ground.

Do you also have an alarm?
My wife purchased it from E-Bay. LED assy is made by RTD and comes with a big driver box which is why i couldn't get it to fit in the 883's bucket. Upper brow mount and bulky connector was also in the way. That's why I cut and spliced the wires. To make room! Besides, the bucket isn't elongated like the one on my Dyna Wide Glide. Anyways, it was defective when I received it and It's not even made for the bike. I purchased a better LED assy with built in fan from DK Customs instead for better fitment and quality. Gonna also put the original connector back on the harness. I really hate cutting wires on a new ****in bike!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

My wife purchased it from E-Bay. LED assy is made by RTD and comes with a big driver box which is why i couldn't get it to fit in the 883's bucket. Upper brow mount and bulky connector was also in the way. That's why I cut and spliced the wires. To make room! Besides, the bucket isn't elongated like the one on my Dyna Wide Glide. Anyways, it was defective when I received it and It's not even made for the bike. I purchased a better LED assy with built in fan from DK Customs instead for better fitment and quality. Gonna also put the original connector back on the harness. I really hate cutting wires on a new ****in bike!
Hard knocks. Happens to all of us. I bought a cheap led h4 that kept blowing a fuse on my bike... was left off of my list of upgrades, lol.

I'm 100% against cutting wires and sealed bulbs like the daymaker... went s**t goes bad on the road, you can't just swap the bulb. That means you are sidelined or or riding dangerously. Led h4s can be swapped out at Walmart or any parts store for a standard h4.

s**t led h4, do not buy if you see it:

Last edited by cvaria; 02-09-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

This is the one I am using. DK Customs has a little more lumens. I bought it before DK carried LEDs. This pic is the 5 3/4" stock lamp assembly. I moved the LED to two other headlights that I subsquently installed, including the 4 7/8" headlight from DK...and the LED still fit nicely in that bucket. I currently have a 7" headlight. I had difficulty getting the pins out of the stock connector so I cut my wires to get the wires out of the bucket...hence the posi-connectors.

Last edited by hscic; 02-09-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I installed 2 LED bulbs on my 14 sporty. If the light comes on when you switch to high beams, it is telling you that there is still voltage on the low beams. But that's ok because that's how the LED works, there are 3 LED patches on it, 2 come on when on "low beams" and all three are on when it is on "high beams".

Check your error codes to see which ones it is specifically. If you have a key ignition, hold the trip button and turn the key. The speedo will light up everything and move the needle about. Then just let go of trip and it will go into diagnostic mode. Press trip to cycle between the different categories of error codes. anything with a N beside it is fine, if there is a Y, it means there are error codes logged there. So if it says BCM Y, hold trip again and it will enter that category, then tap trip to cycle through all the BCM, battery control module, errors.

If someone has a way to reprogram the bike to recognize the LEDs I'd love to know what to do. I sometimes avoid using my high beams now because I don't want to run the chance of the red light getting stuck on (usually it goes away, but not always)

Here is a list I use for error codes: https://dgcustomcycle.com/harley-dia...es-04-present/

I keep the codes in a notepad in my phone so I can diagnostic on the road. I'm going to print them out soon and keep them in my stash tube.

The following users liked this post:
DonMaxon (02-21-2018)