Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last opinion please guys, I promise!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:44 PM
KingDevil13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Last opinion please guys, I promise!!

Alright so this is the last one I need an opinion on, I think this is the one I'm gonna go pick up. 1997 Sportster 15k miles, quite a few mods and a jockey shift. It's an 883 I know I'm gonna up it to a 1200 but that come later. It's pretty much between this one and the 2004 883 that's got 43k miles but not much else going for it. Same price, I can grab either one of them for $2400 what do you guys think about this 97? It's a decal on the tank and not paint but whatever lol everything looks kinda in check tho. I personally love this one but I'm wondering if I'm getting in over my head?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/5436322775.html

Last opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo179.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo381.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo673.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo871.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo444.jpg

Old 02-08-2016, 11:57 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know about your previous riding experience. But if your somewhat new Id stay away from a jockey shift. That's a whole new monster and a total different way of riding.

If it will be your only bike and a daily driver id convert it back to standard shift.

Last edited by Iarecobra; 02-09-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Nightmare waiting to happen. Leave it whee you found it. Look for something as close to stock as possible. That way you get to fk it up, not deal with someone else's fk ups.

This bike is s**t. Dont be the sucker that buys it.

You dont need to stop asking the forum about bikes, but t might be better to do it all in one thread rather than making a new thread for every bike you find. And lastly, you are the one that has to ride your purchase, we are all just a peanut gallery full of idiots.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

It has had some work done to it. The first thing I noticed was the rear fender has had the brake light removed and chopped. That means the wiring has been tampered with. Ask him to pull the seat and take a look at how he did the wiring. As stated above try and buy a used bike as close to stock as possible then start customizing.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 824 Posts

Foot clutch, hand shift, hard tail, bobbed fender, re-wire job.........got a backyard mechanic look to the whole thing. You're nuts! Do not walk........RUN..............away from that.

The following users liked this post:
apache snow (04-27-2018)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
KingDevil13
Intermediate

Hmmm you guys make valid points. I've been riding rockets for 10 years and trying to get into the Harley scene, ridden a sportster a handful of times and the jockey shift doesn't really scare me but the point about dealing with other people's stuff that they did does. I'll post this bike, instead of making a new thread, this bike is relatively close to stock I mean windshield, sissy bar, and screaming eagle but yeah I mean doesn't look like anything too extensive. I know for sure I want to add forward controls and a low profile seat but yeah. Let me know your guys opinions for this one then. I obviously know going to check it out it still gonna be my best bet. And I know a thing or two about bikes and the tinkering of them but like I said I've ridden rockets so I've really mainly known the ins and outs of some jap speed machines lol. I can tell what to look for when it comes down to hearing it run and seeing it in person but like you guys pointed out like chopped fenders and what not I never really woulda realized it through the post. But this one is the 2004 883 with 43k miles

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/5435320534.html

Last opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo580.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo548.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo569.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo2.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo886.jpgLast opinion please guys, I promise!!-photo279.jpg

Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

have you checked ebay and cycletrader?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
KingDevil13
Intermediate

eBay I haven't just cause of the whole not really being able to check it out first thing. Cycle trader, a little bit but mainly came across dealers

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
OldCuss
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you into the buzzzzzz on anything not rubber mounted ? 04 & below ? 05 > yes

Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by KingDevil13
eBay I haven't just cause of the whole not really being able to check it out first thing. Cycle trader, a little bit but mainly came across dealers
in all honesty, the sportster is like the miata of motorcycles in just about every way. reliability, rawness, purity. sure there a better, faster, cooler bikes... but none like the sporty. polaris and the scout are nice but it's still is not authentic, the bolt is tin can joke.

that being said, if you find one that has not been molested by some idiotic clown of an owner and is as near stock as possible. you will have yourself a reliable bike that you will never forget.

ignore morons saying.... oh you need a bigger bike. bigger bikes require more work to raw speed, cost more to maintain, are heavier, less reliable, have serious heat issues, and are basically tearing themselves apart from day one. only your ego is improved with a bigger bike because random people, who know nothing about bikes, will complement it more.

ebay bikes are good, cycle trader has plenty, you may just have to travel
to score a beastly deal. high milage, bizarre paint, and third party mods are red flags.

it will work out, just be patient and keep posting your finds. don't rush.

Quick Reply: Last opinion please guys, I promise!!