Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody else enjoy making things for there sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM
jmann8686
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anybody else enjoy making things for there sportster

Does anybody else enjoy making their own things for there bikes. I have always like to work with my hands. And I was lucky enough to work in a fab shop during high school and learned how to use a press and shear and weld and other things of that nature. Also my dad has a history of metal work and now he blacksmiths. So I have been fortunate to have the resources and the ablity to make things for myself for my bike. When I got my bike it was an almost stock 03 sportster. Only thing changed was exhaust and handle bars. I have had the bike for about 7 years now. and have slowly gone through it and changed/made things for it. 3 different sissy bars. I made a set of apes for it but didn't like them so I made my own set of window bars with a Z bar shape. I made a holder for the speedo and moved to down by the gas tank. I made a eyebrow for the headlight and moved some switches on to it. I made a stash tube to hold my insurance card and registration. I have a set of high pegs that are pedals off of a 86 Schwinn super letour road bike. and my mid pegs are a chunk of 1-1/4 solid round stock that I welded studs onto. when I chopped the rear fender I made the plate and taillight holder. Actually had to make 2 due to my first one being vertical and getting pulled over cause of it. when I moved my ignition I made the holder for it. I attempted my own exhaust one winter but it didn't work out. that is on my list to do again. I also made a leather fender bib for it and right now i'm working on a solo bag. Anybody else make there own parts

Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by jmann8686
Does anybody else enjoy making their own things for there bikes. I have always like to work with my hands. And I was lucky enough to work in a fab shop during high school and learned how to use a press and shear and weld and other things of that nature. Also my dad has a history of metal work and now he blacksmiths. So I have been fortunate to have the resources and the ablity to make things for myself for my bike. When I got my bike it was an almost stock 03 sportster. Only thing changed was exhaust and handle bars. I have had the bike for about 7 years now. and have slowly gone through it and changed/made things for it. 3 different sissy bars. I made a set of apes for it but didn't like them so I made my own set of window bars with a Z bar shape. I made a holder for the speedo and moved to down by the gas tank. I made a eyebrow for the headlight and moved some switches on to it. I made a stash tube to hold my insurance card and registration. I have a set of high pegs that are pedals off of a 86 Schwinn super letour road bike. and my mid pegs are a chunk of 1-1/4 solid round stock that I welded studs onto. when I chopped the rear fender I made the plate and taillight holder. Actually had to make 2 due to my first one being vertical and getting pulled over cause of it. when I moved my ignition I made the holder for it. I attempted my own exhaust one winter but it didn't work out. that is on my list to do again. I also made a leather fender bib for it and right now i'm working on a solo bag. Anybody else make there own parts
Cool! Keep at it! It is a lot of fun.

That is exactly how DK Custom Products started...making parts for our own bikes.

Thinking about it...that is what we are still doing. The most fun we have is developing new parts for our own rides...sometimes other folks like them and want them too, sometimes not.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 AM
Spike883
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work and a Kudos from DK.. thats cool...

The first bike I ever modified myself was a 1981 Yamaha SR250 I picked up for $600. I tore all the stock crap off of it, and then realized I'd get shafted riding it without a brake light, so I made one out of a rattle can cap, a trailer light, and an L bracket. Took about 15 minutes from concept to mounted, wired, and rolling down the road.... worked like a charm until the new bobber light showed up in the mail... What does this have to do with HD you ask? I sold that little Yamaha for $2500 and bought an 883.....

Old 03-29-2016, 05:42 AM
EXNAUTI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I just installed Air Shocks. Couldn't find a good place for valve. Found a piece of stainless steel in my garage, after cutting and drilling I ended up with a little bracket. Not a masterpiece, but good enough for me.

Attached Thumbnails anybody else enjoy making things for there sportster-dscn0011.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

There are about a dozen parts that I made by hand on my bike. You might be able to figure out some of them in my pics.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been making odds and ends for my bikes for many years. The only things for my Sporty so far are new spacers to install saddlebags to my liking, recently chromed and fitted.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
jmann8686
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EXNAUTI
here is the fender bib I made for the bike. It is my first one. It needs to be about 1/2 thinner and about 1 to 2 inches longer. But for a first go I think it turned out good

I can get better pics later tonight but in this photo you can see the pedal highway pegs. The mid pegs. part of the bars, and the sissy bar installed on the bike before I put the fender bib on.

I can get better pics of the bars and the speedo and the plater holder and some other things I have made for the bike

Old 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
jmann8686
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Cool! Keep at it! It is a lot of fun.

That is exactly how DK Custom Products started...making parts for our own bikes.

Thinking about it...that is what we are still doing. The most fun we have is developing new parts for our own rides...sometimes other folks like them and want them too, sometimes not.
Thanks. I have always making things.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Great stuff! And post more pics when you get them.

I enjoy fabricating stuff as well, though metal work is a (very) recent effort so I can't do much of that......yet!

I've made a few parts for my vintage Honda and am thinking about a few things for my "new" Sporty. A license plate mount might be the first thing I try.

Quick Reply: anybody else enjoy making things for there sportster